Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
205 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 202

trixie, walkero, FlynnTheAvatar, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)
Re: Radeon RX cards on X1000
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Raziel

Do you have problems with Interrupts=Yes?

Do you have gfx corruption with Interrupts=No?

If you have freezes with Yes, try this hack, PatchWaitTOF that removes the hangs of apps, and total freeze if you're using that Synchronize with refresh flag in GUI prefs. (But do rather switch that off.)

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Deniil

Yes, random freezes, probably what you already bisected regarding WaitTOF.

I'll try your patch, but I'm not home for a week, so don't hold your breath

Though I didn't encounter any gfx glitches...but I also didn't really test that much because the freeze happened really early.

But thank you anyway

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi !

After having tried to make an RX 580 work in my X1000 and failed, I purchased an RX 560 and it work with the CFE hack.

Still some weid freezes in Emotion (video stops playing). I have installed Deniil's patch and reverted the INTERRUPTS to YES. We'll see how it comes along.

Thanks for this thread :)

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@K-L

You'll continue to get freezes until an updated RX gfx driver is released.

The problem has been found and fixed and reported working in beta

Leave your INTERRUPT setting on NO for the time being,otherwise you WILL get freezes

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I will let on YES and test (I know that updated drivers can take loooooooooooong time to be released).

So far, no freezes.

--
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Deniil

You patch is indeed very useful since I get no more freeze but it causes tearing when playing videos with Emotion or DvPlayer.

So let's wait for an updated driver :)

--
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
I don't see soft-reset as a definitive part of AmigaOS. It wasn't part of the original 68K AmigaOS. They only really became a thing with OS 4, because full reboots take so long.

One thing that was definitive of AmigaOS was the RAD drive. And Ramb0. Which OS4 people still used. You could do a soft reboot and it would survive. This doesn't happen with a cold reboot. Unless the firmware erases memory on reset I would consider this a bug. Because Exec always checked the memory for a existing ExecBase which a RAD would depend upon. If Exec isn't doing that but instead creating a new one every time it's not an Amiga Exec.

Quote:
I've also advocated for making the Early Startup Menu work without needing a reboot. That was met with pretty fierce resistance.

How would this work?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@jabirulo

Quote:
Hi, I have on my SAM460ex and a radeonHD (r7-250) a WB feeeze on startup. If I set (THX Spectre660) INTERRUPT=Yes and composition=OFF it loads WB ok and system runs ok.

Just found your comment. I have the same issue with my X1000 and R7 250. For me the issues started when I installed Update 2.

Did you have the same issue with Update 1? And is your issue confined to Update 2?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I noticed that the freezes are less (or disappear?) when the monitor driver in DEVS:Monitors has the correct name for the graphics card.

The Radeon R7 250 freezes almost immediately when plugged in if TOOL TYPES entry in the monitor driver is not changed accordingly.
Once I put the name I could read in Ranger, I almost get no freezes. The 560 behaves similarly.

And the freezes that appear, only the gremlins know what is causing them. Since the Enhancer update the system has become more unstable for me.

tuvok

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tuvok

What is the exact name of your monitor file?
What is the number indicated in CMPLENGHT in your monitor's TOOLTYPES?

--
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, as I'm still sporting R9 270 cards in my two X1000s. But I do want to thank you all for continuing to test and push ahead with the RX cards and drivers and patches and CFE workarounds. We may get there yet, with full speed, full resolution video and no hangups, and so at least one of my machines may get a new graphics card and some new capability to make me smile.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@K-L

1. it has the name of the monitor which is connected, e.g. "NEC EA 224WMi" or "BenQ PD2725U"

2. It depends on the graphics card I have inserted, e.g.:
(ATI R9250)
CMPLENGTH=11
BOARDTYPE=Radeon 9250

(AMD RADEON RX550)
CMPLENGHT=19
BOARDTYPE=Radeon RX Polaris12

(AMD RX560)
CMPLENGHT=19
BOARDNAME=Radeon RX Polaris11

(Gigabyte R9 270X)
CMPLENGHT=15
BOARDNAME=Radeon HD Oland

(Sapphire HD 7970)
CMPLENGHT=21
BOARDTYPE=Radeon HD 7900 Series

In SYS:Storage/Monitors I have a monitor file for each of the above, I just remove the extension of the name and put it in DEVS:Monitors. e.g. from "NEC EA 224WMi.RX550" to "NEC EA 224WMi", and swap it with the one in DEVS:Monitors (which will be renamed accordingly).

Maybe I should try one single monitor file for each monitor and put all the tool types as above in one single "Monitor driver" per Display and disable the ones I don't need. That would remove sum clutter for sure.

I find it very confusing when the monitor files are named after the Graphics card which is inserted, which seems to be the default setting when installing AmigaOS 4.1FE.

Edited by Tuvok on 2023/8/20 12:23:24
Edited by Tuvok on 2023/8/20 12:24:32
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tuvok
Quote:
I find it very confusing when the monitor files are named after the Graphics card which is inserted, which seems to be the default setting when installing AmigaOS 4.1FE.
The "monitor" files are gfx card files, only still called monitor files for historic reasons when there were no gfx cards yet but only the OCS/ECS/AGA chipsets and the monitor files were used for different resolutions (NTSC, PAL, A2024, etc.) on the same gfx hardware.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Perhaps more emphasis should be placed on usability. Making the system confusing just for the sake historical reasons seems abstruse to me.

Other changes have already been made to the system without taking into account the historical aspects, e.g. removing the utilities and WBStartup drawers.

And that was a good thing.

Apart from that, Commodore also made changes from AmigaOS 1.x to 2.x and 3.x and some were radical.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tuvok

Quote:
(ATI R9250)
CMPLENGTH=19
Boardname=Radeon RX Polaris 12

(AMD RADEON RX550)
CMPLENGHT=11
BOARDNAME=Radeon 9250

(AMD RX560)
CMPLENGHT=19
BOARDNAME=Radeon RX Polaris 11

(Gigabyte R9 270X)
CMPLENGHT=15
BOARDNAME=Radeon HD Oland

(Sapphire HD 7970)
CMPLENGHT=21
BOARDTYPE=Radeon HD 7900 Series

It seems strange that you use the boardname "Radeon RX Polaris 12" for your ATI R9250, and the boardname "Radeon 9250" for your AMD RADEON RX550), but maybe that was just a typo
when entering the info here?

But maybe more important:

You have CMPLENGTH=19 for both of the boardnames "Radeon RX Polaris 12" and "Radeon RX Polaris 11". Those names are 20 characters long each. So in effect you have created two monitor files which will be seen as one and the same, i.e. a random one will be picked, because the CMPLENGTH tells the distinguishing code to only compare as far as the 19th character, which means you have two monitors with the name "Radeon RX Polaris 1" (the "1" or "2" at the end are not seen in the comparison.

At least that's how I have understood it.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@nbache
For the old ATIRadeon driver using CMPLENGTH=6 was required, for example on the AmigaOS 4.x CDs where you can't change it, to match all Radeon#? cards supported by it.
For the Radeon HD and RX drivers using CMPLENGTH=9 should work the same way:
You only need one monitor file for all HD cards, one for all RX cards and can keep them in DEVS:Monitors even if you (currently) don't have a supported gfx card installed.
If you use it that way make sure you don't have the default monitor file for the old ATIRadeon driver in DEVS:Monitors as well since with CMPLENGTH=6 it will match Radeon HD and RX cards too and if the old ATIRadeon driver accesses a HD or RX gfx card that might cause some problems. If you need support for old cards using the ATIRadeon driver using something like "BOARDNAME=Radeon 9250" and "CMPLENGTH=8" instead will fix such possible problems.

Using more than one Radeon HD or RX monitor file without, or a longer CMPLENGTH, in DEVS:Monitors is only required if you want to use 2 HD or 2 RX cards at the same time, but that requires other changes as well, for example using PCIGraphics.card for the 2nd.

Edited by joerg on 2023/8/20 6:39:37
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
nbache wrote:@Tuvok

It seems strange that you use the boardname "Radeon RX Polaris 12" for your ATI R9250, and the boardname "Radeon 9250" for your AMD RADEON RX550), but maybe that was just a typo
when entering the info here?

You are right, I typed it in on an Android phone and the site did not work properly, thanks for pointing that out, I will edit my previous post.

Quote:

But maybe more important:

You have CMPLENGTH=19 for both of the boardnames "Radeon RX Polaris 12" and "Radeon RX Polaris 11". Those names are 20 characters long each. So in effect you have created two monitor files which will be seen as one and the same, i.e. a random one will be picked, because the CMPLENGTH tells the distinguishing code to only compare as far as the 19th character, which means you have two monitors with the name "Radeon RX Polaris 1" (the "1" or "2" at the end are not seen in the comparison.

At least that's how I have understood it.

Well spotted. I checked on the AmigaOne and the name of the cards in Rangers is without the space between “Polaris” and the number. I wrote the post by memory without checking.

Up until now, I hadn’t read anywhere what you and Joerg explained, good to know about the workings of CMPLENGTH, I will make changes accordingly in my system.

Edit:
edit Niels:

Are you one of the responsible persons for the wiki? Maybe it would be a good idea to edit and explain this. I’ll be glad to offer my help, maybe writing the text and you will only have to redact it, if you are short on time.
Unless that is, that the wiki is not being edited for political reasons, to force some higher ups to collaborate to bake bread, instead of “competing” for the crumbs.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Thank you very much for this explanation!

I checked again on the AmigaOS_Manual:_Workbench_Monitors wiki on amigaos.net and I could not find such information, neither did I find anything in the System Documentation drawer.

Btw, what is the correct tooltype name: "BOARDNAME" or "BOARDTYPE"?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Tuvok

Quote:
Are you one of the responsible persons for the wiki?
No, I haven't had anything to do with that, only beta testing and translation (and the Workbench.guide long ago).

There were a few people who worked on the Wiki at some point, but I don't remember exactly who.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)