Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: Amiga - What next?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rogue
Quote:
I think that I wrote the original elf library, big parts of Warp3D, the new library model in OS 4, and a few other parts.. So yeah, I contributed...

Your work is much appreciated!

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Thread cleaned up a bit.

When posting on this site then please try to remember that you are on Amigans.net and not somewhere else where it's okey to take everything the wrong way or to stir up anger for no good reason at all.

If you get upset for something someone else is writing here then either ignore it or contact staff about it, take a few deep breaths and just calm down while we sort it out.

Keep it calm folks, we're all in the same boat.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

I am just going to hang on till the thing is full circle again and by that
i mean that ACube and Hyperion can sell their hardware+software,
that people buy those, and that the company's earn money from it.

It is the post-AmigaOne-era all over again, where we need to give
the people some hope. I know, it was easyer for us that time because
we had much more contact with the developers true the mailinglists.
But if we look for the little hints and news-items from each of the
developers inside or outside the OS4-team, we could build already
some kind of a roadmap for ourselfs.

I myself am not a developer and because of that i support some
people their works with donations or something like that, it is the
best thing i can do. In the mean time we have also an amigaclub
going to "continue the momentum".

It is like spotUP said it, try to do something fun with the Amiga,
and that can be with any system you have.

I remember the times where i believed i was the only Amiga-user in a
wide area in my country before i knew the internet and i even knew
that there was an amigaclub nearby. I guess that we are becoming
too much demanding and are loosing patience true the internet.

Good things take time and work.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mikey_C

I have about 5 A1200 (Desktop and Towered), 2 wintel machines (1 MSI, 1 Tower - WinXP_SP2), one AmigaOne XE_G4 AOS4_Upd4.

Of all those, only the 2 PCs and the A1 are connected and ON almost 24/7...

Of those 3 machines:
-- 1 PC is use for Sharezea (P2P)
-- 1 PC is use by my wife (Internet, Emails, Word, Excel) and by me (Internet Banking, copying Movies and MP3 to my SD Card for use in my GP2X)
-- 1 A1XE used by me for the rest of Internet browsing, Email (mainly SimpleMail now), listening to music (TuneNet and AmigaAMP for Internet Radio).

And of these, there is ONLY one I enjoy using... The A1XE_G4 !

Jerry

Defender of my A1XE-G4 / AOS4 Final Update !
Looking for a new toy ? Then try a GP2X...
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi Mikey_C,

I think that this will be "the straw that breaks the camel's back".

If Sam440 does not have AOS4.0 on it, about half will give up to the other side, or abandon completely the platform....

But Amiga has that certain hold on people, so you never know...

Anyway, as I posted in the news item, they said "range" and that is the key, as they said all of the currently available options AND.......

But they did not "fill in the blank".

So, there!

Sam440! AOS4.0!! The Survivor!!!

Hey, we have 440 members right now! Omen?

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

You are quite right, the Amiga certainly does need leadership, and needs it badly.

Assuming we do get hardware soon, we should hope to see someone getting off thier butt and getting together a good solid software bundle of all the basics we have of distributeable software. Any machine is generally not much use without applications.

A second bundle could also be gotten together as well for purchase to support our developers, and so we don't have to seek them out.

I still believe that AA or DE or whatever they call it could be helpful in sustaining and growing the market if they would port it and make it native to the OS\hardware so that older software could be ported to it (and thus run on other systems) which would allow users of other operating system to use the software and get a taste, whilst also providing a migration path for them where they dont have to go out and purchase all new software.

Not to mention that this would also help support our current developers, and perhaps even expand the base somewhat.

I believe that the hardware supplier should make complete systems much like the console model, or laptop, to reduce the number of drivers required to be supported....with a couple of variations. Ideally this would be a laptop.

This could also be supported by the old nostalgic A500 A1200 in a joystick idea to give a cheap way to provide that old feeling back to people. I see Atari 2600 stuff in the shelves of JB hifi here, and elsewhere.

Last and not least, we need someone to go out and give us exposure, make partnerships, get things going in the publis arena as well.

As Mikey says, we need leadership.

It's NEVER easy...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@IonMane

Quote:
I still believe that AA or DE or whatever they call it could be helpful in sustaining and growing the market if they would port it and make it native to the OS\hardware

I agree, because if other operating system adapted it then the software generated will automatically benefit the AmigaOS4 market, but because AmigaDE/AA aim at PDA and PocketPC and not desktop operating systems, so it not where likely we seen software like Open Office coming soon for AmigaDE/AA.

Quote:
So that older software could be ported to it (and thus run on other systems) which would allow users of other operating system to use the software and get a taste,

Firstly older software are often close sourced, and if not it?s often written in 680x0 Assembler, Blitz Basic or Amiga E, as AmigaDE is no hardware emulator, the so called older software needs a major rewrite. UAE has proven it self to be better for classic applications.

Quote:
Whilst also providing a migration path

AmigaDE/AA do not provide a migration path it?s because it doesn?t use any Amiga API, that means if your going to recompile AmigaAA/DE program to AmigaOS4 it need a major rewrite, just like any GNU linux programs needs.

This way AmigaDE/AA is nothing more then generic runtime environment just like JavaVM or Flash macromedia player or real player.

All of this runtime environments (JavaVM, Real Player, Flash Player, AmigaDE) will benefit AmigaOS4 because they enable more software to work, All of this runtime environments (JavaVM, Real Player, Flash Player, AmigaDE) will do badly in promoting AmigaOS as user experience.

Quote:
for them where they don?t have to go out and purchase all new software.

That doesn?t sound where profitable if you ask me.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@IonMane

Quote:
to reduce the number of drivers required to be supported

I think we need more drivers for USB and PCI, we need more printer drivers as well, we do not need less drivers, what we need is more developers and bigger funds.

We do not really need investors, what we do need is hardware and software partners, we need AmigaOS to sell to every one some how, we need a selling point some wow factor, or maybe AmigaOS can be used for some special tasks.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mikey_C

C'mon, Mikey, perk up. Yes, we've been waiting (and waiting... and waiting) for a while, now, but Hyperion have been working away in the background, so have ACube and others - it's worth all our whiles to wait a little longer to see what happens next.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well I'm not giving up just yet..

Thing that annoys me is mainly Amiga Inc not doing ANYTHING to advance the platform, instead they are the MAIN REASON we are left without developers and users.

So they have a dispute with Hyperion but unless they leave that running in the background there will be nothing left to have any dispute over.

IMHO Amiga Inc should have ensured basic stuff like Browser, office package, Java and other stuff was made available during the OS4 pre-release period.

Bill is full of nice words and he even talks about some of the above mentioned applications saying they have it ready but wont release it yet.

I had my doubt back when I started talking with Marcin about the Sputnik port because I wouldn't find it very funny to have asked people for money and then see Amiga Inc release Firefox or whatever browser it is they claim to have ready fully working.

I wrote Bill about my concerns (at least 4 mails) and asked a little into whether their browser was commercial or freeware/bundled with the OS and I heard nothing. Then I decided to move on with the bounty and so far haven't regretted that as Amiga Inc is still in total silent mode.

Still I find their missing replies to be lack of respect for people who wants to do something for the platform.

If I had the money I would buy Amiga Inc and fire everyone. then hire someone who had a record of actually delivering REAL products and knowing how to work with other people and companies.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Troels wrote:

Thing that annoys me is mainly Amiga Inc not doing ANYTHING to advance the platform, instead they are the MAIN REASON we are left without developers and users.

Hi Troels

Amiga Inc. has no funds to make a custom MB. How do I know? They didn't make one. There's the proof.

I went to power.org. That place is a joke. I asked who has a MB available and the only people that did, were also the only people I'd rather open negotiations with the devil, before I talk to them. Apparently, TO THIS DAY ibm and motoyoyo have nothing in the way of a motherboard/support chips available for CPUs they would desperately like to see in millions and millions of homes. They're so pathetic.

This is the FIRST AOS4.x friendly MB available, let's see what happens.

Quote:
Troels wrote:

So they have a dispute with Hyperion but unless they leave that running in the background there will be nothing left to have any dispute over.

Do they? I've not been told about this. I have no clue how far and wide it may be. I do know this is the first MB available as Amy '05 was the hugest let down, having NOT APPEARED at all.

Gee, wonder why they never told us they don't have a license? HOW could they ever have gotten one, considering they DO NOT have a motherboard anyhow?

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:
Troels wrote:

Hi Troels

Amiga Inc. has no funds to make a custom MB. How do I know? They didn't make one. There's the proof.

If they have no funds how do you think they can buy other companies like Ruksun? It's not true that they have no funds to make a custom MB. What if the reason is simply that they don't WANT to make one? It seems they have other priorities. Maybe they also think they can't make any money from it.

Quote:
Apparently, TO THIS DAY ibm and motoyoyo have nothing in the way of a motherboard/support chips available for CPUs they would desperately like to see in millions and millions of homes. They're so pathetic.

Their business plan is different, they don't WANT to have their CPUs in the peoples homes, they are more looking at the embedded hardwares. The Cell and PS3 is the only way to go for getting a PPC chip in peoples homes for computer use. There may be other PPC chips in small devices, but I don't think you want to run OS4 on your refridgerator!

Quote:
Troels wrote:

Quote:
Do they? I've not been told about this.

Yes, at least they have a disagreement and their lawyers are discussing about it. This was made public last year after the McEwen interview. Also in the Samantha thread somebody linked to it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:

I never asked Amiga for hardware, I want them to change their ridiculous licensing scheme. Whether they have the funds or not to make hardware themselves is irrelevant as they are not interested in anything but software.

Quote:
I went to power.org. That place is a joke. I asked who has a MB available and the only people that did, were also the only people I'd rather open negotiations with the devil, before I talk to them. Apparently, TO THIS DAY ibm and motoyoyo have nothing in the way of a motherboard/support chips available for CPUs they would desperately like to see in millions and millions of homes. They're so pathetic.

Quote:
This is the FIRST AOS4.x friendly MB available, let's see what happens.

What does OS4 friendly mean? Efika could have been an option or if you really want to avoid Genesi, Sony produces the PS3 in millions which could have been a target IF Amiga wanted to.

Quote:
Do they? I've not been told about this. I have no clue how far and wide it may be. I do know this is the first MB available as Amy '05 was the hugest let down, having NOT APPEARED at all.

You haven't heard about a dispute between Hyperion and Amiga over ownership of OS4!?? Lets just say that they do not agree.

Quote:
Gee, wonder why they never told us they don't have a license? HOW could they ever have gotten one, considering they DO NOT have a motherboard anyhow?

This is where Amiga Inc begins to show their unrealistic demands for the Amiga market.
1. "We wont work with any companies unless their budget/income whatever is at least $$$$$ a year" 2. Hardware companies must first create the motherboard then see if Amiga is interested in selling a license for OS4. It just doesn't work like this, especially not in such a small market.

Amiga could easily take a meeting with a manufacturer (or distributor) and write down some requirements that need to be fulfilled before you would be granted a license. Instead the require to see finished hardware before selling a license. Crazy, especially when you consider how they completely ignored any kind of check on the faulty A1 boards!

If SAM doesn't ' get a license today or at least very very soon Amiga is doomed and soon to be history.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Troels wrote:

@Atheist

If SAM doesn't ' get a license today or at least very very soon Amiga is doomed and soon to be history.

Hi Troels,

Amiga Inc. finally got what they wanted (mostly and sort of and for a second time), so I agree!

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)