Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

white, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

2D Performances, what is best ? MiniGL ? Cairo ? Composition ? Intuition ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello.

I'd like to know if someone has already made tests to compare 2D rendering performances between these 4 system on Amiga OS 4:
- Use MiniGL Primitives to render 2D.
- Use Cairo to render 2D
- Use Intuition Blitting to render 2D
- Use Composition mode.

What is the faster ?
What is the "most complete" in parameters, options and capabilities ?
And the average ?

Thank you.

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Re: 2D Performances, what is best ? MiniGL ? Cairo ? Composition ? Intuition ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Imho Compositing + native calls will be the best and low-level as possible. With cairo you will have some layer which for sure will slow you down, and with minigl we all know what will be :)

Imho one and big point to what i say its games from amiboing: compositing + native calls => cool fps even on slow machines.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
AmiDark,
I agree with Kas1e. Use compositing as Thellier told you already, no ?

I tested Cairo. You can make some cools effects easily but for me the cairo methods are not finished. If I remember well, I had problems when combing differents screens, only composing mode worked, or when I used the svg, pdf format as output.

Since a lot of months without an amiga to love, I was lost.
Now I feel happiness again with a Sam Flex 800 .
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

I'd like to know if someone has already made tests to compare 2D rendering performances between these 4 system on Amiga OS 4:
- Use MiniGL Primitives to render 2D.
- Use Cairo to render 2D
- Use Intuition Blitting to render 2D
- Use Composition mode.

You're not comparing like-for-like there. Blitting and composition will only copy BitMaps around, they won't let you draw primitives. What are you trying to achieve?

CompositeTags() is much faster than BltBitMapTags(), especially with alpha channel deployed.

MiniGL is probably the slowest, although it shouldn't be.

You missed Warp3D which ought to be quicker than MiniGL.

Cairo is pretty snappy and has more features than graphics.library when drawing primitives, but graphics.library is less fussy.

There are other third-party drawing libraries knocking about which might be better for you.

Quote:

What is the faster ?

graphics.library or Cairo along with CompositeTags() for any blits.

Quote:
What is the "most complete" in parameters, options and capabilities ?

Probably Cairo or Warp3D, but it depends what you are trying to do as to what you use. If graphics.library does what you need, it's often better to use that.

Quote:

And the average ?

graphics.library functions are always my first choice.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hello.

It really concern 2D Only stuffs! No primitives, blitting/copying image (memory areas)....

Thank you for all your answer.

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK

Edited by AmiDARK on 2013/4/7 16:55:01
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
If you're only copying images around, use CompositeTags() - it's definitely the fastest way to do that.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
You also need to think about future compatibility and hardware you're trying to run on, graphics.library and compositing will always be there for all machines, warp3d and minigl being phased out as just too old to deal with modern gfx cards and not supported on some machines as you know. 3rd party libs are well... 3rd party libs, no one knows how long they'll be supported or even backwards compatible when updates are released (specially the .so nightmare). I don't know anything about cairo except it's a city in Egypt. My dodgy advice is to stick to OS4 components, avoid 3rd party stuff and keep it as simple as possible.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
CompositeTags() is much faster than BltBitMapTags(), especially with alpha channel deployed.

About that: Is it true, that it is not possible to scale an alpha layer (COMPTAG_SrcAlphaMask) with CompositeTags when doing a normal scaled blit? If no then why? It is really annoying to have to make a separate call to scale the ALPHA8 bitmap into another ALPHA8 bitmap for the scaling, and besides that solution doesn't work on old Radeon driver (hangs up the machine)...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

alfkil wrote:
Quote:

About that: Is it true, that it is not possible to scale an alpha layer (COMPTAG_SrcAlphaMask) with CompositeTags when doing a normal scaled blit? If no then why? It is really annoying to have to make a separate call to scale the ALPHA8 bitmap into another ALPHA8 bitmap for the scaling, and besides that solution doesn't work on old Radeon driver (hangs up the machine)...

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Do you want to use an alpha mask that is a different scale to the main source bitmap that your compositing? That is only possible when using vertex arrays with COMPVF_STW1_Present.

Why isn't it supported with simple rectangular operations? Because, normally the source alpha mask is the same size as the source bitmap. Having the alpha mask at a different scale is a weird thing to do. At some point there has to be a tradeoff between complexity and features.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@alfkil

I can't get COMPTAG_SrcAlphaMask to work with even ordinary blit-style operations. Unless it doesn't support BLITA_ALPHATEMPLATE-style BitMaps (in which case I'd question what sort of BitMaps it is expecting), the functionality seems to be broken or unimplemented?*

It would be very useful to be able to do hardware-accelerated BLITA_ALPHATEMPLATE blits, it's a shame CompositeTags() doesn't support these (mind you, it doesn't support RastPorts either, which causes a colour selection issue).

Perhaps we can campaign to get BltBitMapTags hardware-accelerated?

* edit ah, unless it's what Hans said about the alpha BitMap needing to be the same size. I was sort of expecting it to work aligned with the top-left of my main BitMap and didn't even consider the size. It's incredibly inconvenient, not to mention slow, to create an exact-sized BitMap, in the correct colour, for every ALPHATEMPLATE I want to blit, so that makes CompositeTags() a no-go for anti-aliased text plotting.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Chris
Quote:

Chris wrote:

* edit ah, unless it's what Hans said about the alpha BitMap needing to be the same size. I was sort of expecting it to work aligned with the top-left of my main BitMap and didn't even consider the size. It's incredibly inconvenient, not to mention slow, to create an exact-sized BitMap, in the correct colour, for every ALPHATEMPLATE I want to blit, so that makes CompositeTags() a no-go for anti-aliased text plotting.

I said that it had to be the same scale. From the CompositeTags() documentation:
COMPTAG_SrcAlphaX (uint32)

COMPTAG_SrcAlphaY (uint32)

The X and Y coordinates of a subrectangle on the alpha channel
                 bitmap 
for the sourceThe width and height of the rectangle
                 are the same 
as the COMPTAG_SrcWidth and COMPTAG_SrcHeight.

Defaults to zero.

EDIT: I think that the documentation is wrong here about the default. The default should be the values of COMPTAG_SrcX & COMPTAG_SrcY, respectively.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top

Register To Post