Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

How to join .avi files with mencoder
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
Sundown wrote:
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o output.avi video1.avi video2.avi video3.avi

Edit: Changed subject name since the thread took on a life of it's own and it has useful information. Can an admin move it to the correct forum?

Edited by ktadd on 2010/8/1 3:20:32
Edited by ktadd on 2010/8/1 3:31:15
Edited by ktadd on 2010/8/1 13:28:39
Go to top
Re: Is OS4Depot upload working? - Ignore, it's working!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ktadd

Grabbed it, thanks. I know others have asked before how to join video files together. I found the command line for mencoder to do this.

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o output.avi video1.avi video2.avi video3.avi

Some torents come in 2 parts to fit on 2 cd-r's, I use the above line to make one 1.5GB movie file. Just put quotes around files with spaces & add paths. You can add more parts & any video extention should work.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Re: Is OS4Depot upload working? - Ignore, it's working!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sundown

Quote:
Grabbed it, thanks. I know others have asked before how to join video files together. I found the command line for mencoder to do this.

Some torents come in 2 parts to fit on 2 cd-r's, I use the above line to make one 1.5GB movie file. Just put quotes around files with spaces & add paths. You can add more parts & any video extention should work.

I have been trying to work out how to do this.
I have some avi files split over three cd's, and didn't know enough about the avi format to know how to combine them into one file.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
How to join .avi files with mencoder
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

sundown wrote:
@ktadd

Works great for .avi files. For mpeg1 and mpeg2 files you can use the shell's join command. Not sure if it works for mpeg4 or not though.

Go to top
Re: How to join .avi files with mencoder
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ktadd

Why waste a thread, put it to good use.

I've put several 2 part avi files together, but I have 2 that crash mencoder when it gets to the second file. I can ignore the grim & it finishes, but it doesn't play right in DvPlayer. FFmpeg also crashes my micro on big conversions most of the time, but at least now I can do an offset & join them.

I found another ffmpeg option not listed, -vol xxx, to boost low audio. -vol 200 = x2, -vol 500 = x5, etc. Some videos have low volume.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

sundown wrote:
@ktadd
Why waste a thread, put it to good use.

Works for me.

Quote:
I've put several 2 part avi files together, but I have 2 that crash mencoder when it gets to the second file. I can ignore the grim & it finishes, but it doesn't play right in DvPlayer.

Haven't done a lot of that myself so I haven't run into any crashes.

Quote:
FFmpeg also crashes my micro on big conversions most of the time, but at least now I can do an offset & join them.

Have you tried disabling DMA on your harddrives and doing it? I pretty much run with DMA dissabled on my uA1 due to crashes when dealing with larger files if I don't.

Also, have you tried setting the stack bigger? If your using ffmpegGUI there is s tooltype to do it. I think interally it is set to 500,000 when launching ffmpeg so I would think that would be sufficient. It's might be worth a try though.

Quote:
I found another ffmpeg option not listed, -vol xxx, to boost low audio. -vol 200 = x2, -vol 500 = x5, etc. Some videos have low volume.

Yes, I've been eyeing that one for a while and considering adding it to the audio section of ffmpegGUI. For now though you can put it in the Output field of the additional commands section.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ktadd

I know about joining .mpg files with join command but not about mencoder for joining .avi files. Man this is good for p0rn clips ;p

Joke aside, i hope to remember this thread when im back after vacation so i can put it in dopus4.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:

FFmpeg also crashes my micro on big conversions most of the time, but at least now I can do an offset & join them.

Have you tried disabling DMA on your harddrives and doing it? I pretty much run with DMA dissabled on my uA1 due to crashes when dealing with larger files if I don't.

Also, have you tried setting the stack bigger? If your using ffmpegGUI there is s tooltype to do it. I think interally it is set to 500,000 when launching ffmpeg so I would think that would be sufficient. It's might be worth a try though.[/quote]
I'll have to try disabling DMA next time I do a coversion.

I have the stack set to 10M.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

Does the GUI have support for converting a "chapter" on DVD to .avi?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

number6 wrote:
Does the GUI have support for converting a "chapter" on DVD to .avi?

I assume by "chapter" you mean individual VOB files on the DVD? Assuming yes.

Short answer:
Yes, you can convert VOB files to avi files. There is no specific GUI support for doing so just set the settings however you like and choose .avi as the output format.

If you want to make the files smaller then choose a video codec of mpeg4 and an an audio codec of aac. Then set the bitrates you want (size vs. quality) and set the Output format to .avi. DVD are typically 6000k or greater video bitrates. Try encoding a small section with a video bitrate of 2000k and see if you like the quality. Adjust accordingly. Audio is typically >300k bitrate. You can bump this down if you want but it does't effect the file size nearly as much as changing the video bitrate.

If all you want to do is convert from VOB format to AVI with all the same quality and same size, just set the "Video Codec" and "Auto Codec" to copy and the "Output Format" to .avi. Not sure why you would want to do that though. See below.

More dribble:
VOB files are pretty much just mpeg files. Just rename then with a .mpg or .mpeg extension and extension instead of .vob and pretty much any player that supports mpeg should play them. In fact, most can just play them without changing the extension.

VOB files contain one or more video streams using the "mpeg2video" codec and one or more audio tracks using the "ac3" audio codec. They also contain subtitles but I won't get into that. Usually the main movie video and Stream 0 and the english audio is Stream 1. By defalt you will get the first two streams when converting so if that's what you want your all set. You can just pick the .vob file as input 0, set you desired output setting and encode.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ktadd

Think #6 wants to convert a video that starts in the middle of one vob & ends in the middle of another, a chapter.

OT: coming to amiwest again?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:
I assume by "chapter" you mean individual VOB files on the DVD? Assuming yes.

No.

A DVD Might have 4 VOB files for example.
But 1st "chapter" (your intended full A/V file for conversion) might bridge VOB 1 into VOB 2.
Or...A VOB might have many small videos within it.
Again, retrieving by chapter would get you just the file you want to encode.
Converting an entire VOB would get you the file you want PLUS all the material both before and after it that you do not want.
The problem would be compounded by joining VOBs before conversion.

It is possible that on some DVDs each A/V file has its own VOB file I suppose. Perhaps it varies depending on how the DVD is produced.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/ ... feat-selecting-input.html

Would the above parameter handle this?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

number6 wrote:
A DVD Might have 4 VOB files for example.
But 1st "chapter" (your intended full A/V file for conversion) might bridge VOB 1 into VOB 2.

Sorry, I misinterpreted our question. No, ffmpeg does not have the equivalent of mencoders -chapter option and connot rip based on chapter. Sorry.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ktadd

Having command line issue or something else.
Maybe you or someone interested in this can report back.

MPlayer DVD://1 = works and plays track 1.

Mencoder DVD://1 fails.
I'm using sundown's proven command line, but substituting DVD://1 for his multiple file list for input.

Commandline:
mencoder DVD://1 -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o [destination]

Result:
iconv: conversion from UTF-8 to unsupported
MEncoder 1.0rc2-4.2.4 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: PowerPC

vh 02

vh 03
No stream found to handle url DVD://1
Cannot open file/device.

Exiting...

Does MPlayer have to be in a particular location for Mencoder to access it?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I wouldn't use the -idx option unless you are trying to join 2 avis from different sources... it can actually muck things up... I think perhaps it rebuilds the index even if it finds one or it's just a problem with some wmv formats...

I use it on some formats that don't have a normal index built in of which escapes me at the moment...

I created a thread quite some time ago looking at compiling a few useful things to know... I believe I had kicked it off with a few options for MPlayer

Someone should make that sticky and perhaps add this mencoder string to it? I've had the string for ages and it sits in the C: directory as mencoder.txt so I type c:mencoder.txt to refresh my mind at times

Here is the full snippet in my txt file for your viewing pleasure

Quote:

Here's how to merge several video files into a signle one with Mencoder.

It's pretty easy, here it is:

The -oac copy option tells mencoder to just copy the audio stream (no reencoding). -ovc copy does the same with the video stream.
The -idx option asks mencoder to build the index if none was found. This makes searching inside the video easier.
-o stands for "output" and specifies the output file.
The last few parameters are the input video files.

You can join as many files as you like. This will work for videos of the same resolution, and using the same codec, but any video format that mencoder recognizes is fine.

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

sundown and I have now run the identical test.

We used the "can't miss" command line (which I won't link to, since it produced so many errors).

But he also confirmed that the DVD://[track] command as [source] for mencoder's action doesn't activate the drive.

As I said in the previous post, the same parameter -does- work in MPlayer, so we know the parameter is correct.

You can help confirm this for us by using shell and typing MPlayer DVD://[track # of your choice]. It works.

We can't get the drive active using the same parameter in mencoder.

Added: oddly typing "mencoder No stream found to handle url dvd://1" into google provides tons of links but also a wealth of non-answers.

Edited by number6 on 2010/9/11 5:15:57
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

number6 wrote:
But he also confirmed that the DVD://[track] command as [source] for mencoder's action doesn't activate the drive.

It appears that mencoder wasn't compiled with libdvdread. It's possible that mplyaers code needs to be modified to support AmigaOS devices.

Try this:

11.SYSTM:> mencoder -dvd-device
MEncoder 1.0rc2-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
get_path("config") problem
MPlayer was compiled without libdvdread support.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ktadd

Quote:

ktadd wrote:

Try this:

11.SYSTM:> mencoder -dvd-device
MEncoder 1.0rc2-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
get_path("config") problem
MPlayer was compiled without libdvdread support.

I thought perhaps MEncoder was trying to find MPlayer but didn't know the path to the executable... I CD to the MPlayer dir and tried again... same result... unless it needs some /bin or similair hardcoded place for MPlayer I suppose I'm way off the track and MEncoder isn't trying to call MPlayer at all and it's a typo and the last error line should be MEncoder and not MPlayer

How did I get roped into this anyway

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:
I thought perhaps MEncoder was trying to find MPlayer but didn't know the path to the executable... I CD to the MPlayer dir and tried again... same result... unless it needs some /bin or similair hardcoded place for MPlayer I suppose I'm way off the track and MEncoder isn't trying to call MPlayer at all and it's a typo and the last error line should be MEncoder and not MPlayer

Heh. We tried that too. I put MPlayer in the same directory with Mencoder, but I also put MPlayer in c:, in case it was hardcoded. No luck.

We also tried what KTADD offered in his last post. We also tried some other combinations, including full path to where the VOB files exist on the DVD. This had been recommended in an ubuntu forum, where users were experiencing the same issue with DVD://1.

Just as odd, with one combination I got an error saying "-chapter" is not supported in mencoder, when the docs clearly say it IS, and give instruction on how to use it.

Quote:
How did I get roped into this anyway

Because issues like this offer the greatest challenge?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@those testing

I should have done this earlier, but better late than never. So we're all on the same page here:

MPlayer - summer version
MPlayer for AmigaOS4 SVN-r29532-4.2.3
(from version full)

http://os4depot.net/index.php?functio ... le=video/play/mplayer.lha

MEncoder 1.0rc2-4.2.4
(from running mencoder without arguments, since version full produces no version#)

http://www.os4depot.net/?function=sho ... e=video/edit/mencoder.lha

Also checked with prior version of mencoder since our version of MPlayer is much older than mencoder and there may be some sort of mismatch going on.

MEncoder 1.0rc2-4.0.2
(from running mencoder without arguments, since version full produces no version#)

Edited by number6 on 2010/9/11 16:06:03
Go to top

Register To Post