Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
FTPMount
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi,
i installed FTPMount (not permanent, so i have to use Quick-Install)

When clicking on the Aminet Icon in FTP:
i have the following sequence:
- a quick glance of a message "connecting..."
-immediatelyreplaced with a message " Host WbInfo is unknown"
clickin on the OK button
- connecting to ftp.uni-paderbornde" with a cancel button ( not used)
- "Login succesfull"/OKbutton hit
- "Operational error:Failed to change directory " clicking on OK (twice) then
- the info on the Aminet icon appears

What can be wrong?

Thanks

Go to top
Re: FTPMount
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@JosDuchIt

uni-paderborn.de does not host Aminet any more.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@thomas

I tried out other aminet mirrors as well as my home page.
The most frequent reaction, (after the message WbInfo not known), is that the site is not known either.
I can connect to those sites ok using AmiFTP (eg ftp.cstu-berlin.de )
i have set USER as root and HOSTas localhost as in AmiFTP

Are you using FTPMount?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt
Which version of OS4 are you using?

By the way, here are the tooltypes I use to connect to Aminet:

ROOT=/
HOST=aminet.net
(USER=)
(PASSWORD=)
SLOW
MESSAGES=ERROR

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Hi, I am thinking about diving in and buying an X1000 this summer so I have many unanswered questions floating around my head. So here's a FTP one.

a. Windows by default can read AND write to a ftp server through Explorer.
b. OSX by default can only READ :( to a ftp mounted server through Finder.

--

So which is the best FTP Mount program available on the AOS4 that can out-feature OSX and allow both reading and writing? Secondly, does mounting an ftp server come as standard in AOS4 or do I have to install a third-party application to achieve this?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
I use OS4.1 update 2 on a SAM

I did use your settings, still got a message "WBinfo not known", followed by a message "anonymous acces granted, restrictions apply"
cloiking on OK the aminet icon is opened. In the STATUS win dow (added as tooltype) last line is : idle (Q)

In one attmpt i also had a Filer message about WBInfo: not found or something

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@JosDuchIt

run snoopy BEFORE ftpmount, it may give you an idea about the problem.

btw in aminet there is a tool called wbinfo...
wbinfo

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17

Long Live Amiga
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
So which is the best FTP Mount program available on the AOS4 that can out-feature OSX and allow both reading and writing? Secondly, does mounting an ftp server come as standard in AOS4 or do I have to install a third-party application to achieve this?

Amiga OS4 is supplied with two third-party programs (AmiFTP & pFTP) for accessing FTP sites. Both will allow you to read & write, although I can't comment further since I don't use them. While they are not integrated into the OS, they should give you the same (or better) access to FTP sites as Windows (and OS X).

However, there is also a program for AmigaOS called "FTP Mount", and this does something which neither Windows nor (I think) OS X can do, and that is it allows (some) other programs to access FTP sites. Just try it on Windows or OS X, and I bet you can NOT open an FTP file in a text editor without first copying it to your computer! FTP Mount allows exactly this on OS4, and can be really powerful since you could (for example) write an AmigaDOS script to do something on an FTP site.

I use FTP Mount in combination with a program I wrote (FolderSync2) to keep data files on my OS4 system in sync with data files on my Windows system. I have an FTP server running on my Windows system, and then FolderSync2 treats it just like a 'local' folder and synchronises it for me. (Actually it's not quite that simple, since FTP does not support time stamps on files, so I have to run a special program Windows before & after running FolderSync2 on the Amiga.)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@JosDuchIt

I'm the author of AmigaOS 4 port of FTPMount, I'm currently having problem with my A1XE, but once everything will be sorted (soon I hope) I might see if this is a problem in your configuration or an incompatibility with AOS 4.1u2

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@abalaban

here on 4.1 u2 FTP-Mount works fine

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@pvanni
@abalaban

I have used Snoopy to identify the source of the problem
I am not sure what i might be. I guess you don't have the "Host WBinfo unknown" message?

Extracts from the Snoopy track , trying to connect to aminet.net double clicjing on its .info in FTP: (using Filer)
<---- ??? lines concerned with WBInfo
00072 : Filer : o.k. = SystemTagList("WbInfo "FTP:aminet-net.info"",ASYNC) [4896uS]
00082 : ProcInformation : FAIL = FindSegment("WbInfo",0x00000000,USER) [13uS]
00083 : ProcInformation : FAIL = FindSegment("WbInfo",0x00000000,SYSTEM) [8uS
00084 : ProcInformation : CurrentDir("FTP:")
00085 : FTP : CurrentDir("<untracked>"
00086 : FTP : FAIL = Open("WbInfo.info",OLD) = [0x00000000] [104uS]
00087 : FTP : FAIL = Open("Default.info",OLD) = [0x00000000] [49uS
00088 : FTP : CurrentDir("<untracked>")
/// WBInfo sits in my sys:c drawer, but has no icon
00089 : FTP : o.k. = CreateNewProc("WbInfo") [350uS]
00090 : Filer : o.k. = Lock("FTP:",SHARED) [2088uS]
00091 : WbInfo : 0 = FindSegmentStackSize("<untracked>") [20uS]
00092 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("intuition.library",36) [22uS]
00093 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("gadtools.library",0) [21uS]
00094 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("graphics.library",36) [7uS]
00095 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",1,0x571F72F0
00106 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:RES_OPTIONS",SHARED) [131uS]
00107 : TCP Connect Handler : FAIL = GetVar("RES_OPTIONS",0x57A538CC,255,0x00000000) [566uS]
///"Host WBInfo is unknown" message appears here, clicking on OK
00111 : ProcInformation : FAIL = Lock("WbInfo",SHARED) [57125390uS]
00112 : ProcInformation : CurrentDir("FTP:")
00113 : ProcInformation : CurrentDir("<untracked>")
00114 : ProcInformation : FAIL = Lock("WbInfo",SHARED) [878uS]
00115 : ProcInformation : CurrentDir("FTP:")
00116 : ProcInformation : CurrentDir("SYS:"
00117 : ProcInformation : o.k. = Lock("WbInfo",SHARED) [173uS]
00118 : ProcInformation : o.k. = ExamineObject(0x564E9C88) [52uS]
00119 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:ELF.LazyBinding",SHARED) [125uS]
00120 : ProcInformation : o.k. = LoadSeg("WbInfo") = [0x1592C4F1] [155783uS]
00121 : ProcInformation : o.k. = Lock("WbInfo",SHARED) [139uS]
00122 : ProcInformation : DIR = ParentDir("WbInfo") [29uS] //
00123 : ProcInformation : CurrentDir("FTP:")
00124 : WbInfo : 0 = FindSegmentStackSize("WbInfo") [59uS]
00125 : WbInfo : -----> RunCommand(0x1592C4F1 "WbInfo",,""FTP:aminet-net.info"",22)
00126 : WbInfo : 0 = FindSegmentStackSize("WbInfo") [22uS]
00127 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("dos.library",37) [22uS]
00128 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("utility.library",37) [6uS]
00129 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("locale.library",38) [15uS]
00130 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("workbench.library",39) [25uS]
00131 : WbInfo : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("intuition.library",39) [9uS]
00132 : WbInfo : o.k. = Lock("FTP:aminet-net.info",SHARED) [462uS]
00133 : WbInfo : DIR = ParentDir("FTP:aminet-net.info") [42uS]
00134 : WbInfo : o.k. = CreateNewProc("aminet-net") [313uS]
00198 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:LOCALDOMAIN",SHARED) [143uS]
00199 : TCP Connect Handler : FAIL = GetVar("LOCALDOMAIN",0x57A538CC,255,0x00000000) [1199uS]
00200 : TCP Connect Handler : o.k. = Open("DEVS:Internet/name_resolution",OLD) = [0x15B59048] [237uS]
00201 : TCP Connect Handler : o.k. = Open("DEVS:Internet/hosts",OLD) = [0x15B59048] [237uS]
00202 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:RES_OPTIONS",SHARED) [119uS]
///"Anonymous acces granted, restrictions apply" message appears here
---->

Other initial FAIL lines that don't seem to be resolved later
<---??
00073 : ProcInformation : FAIL = GetVar("_ScriptLine",0x564E9DD0,40,0x00000200) [9uS]
// no later correction
00074 : ProcInformation : FAIL = GetVar("Echo",0x564E9D38,32,0x00000200) [5uS]
00075 : ProcInformation : FAIL = GetVar("OldRedirect",0x564E9D38,32,0x00000200) [7uS]
00076 : ProcInformation : FAIL = GetVar("KeepDoubleQuotes",0x564E9D38,32,0x00000200) [5uS
00102 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:LOCALDOMAIN",SHARED) [125uS]
00119 : ENV : FAIL = Lock("ENVARC:ELF.LazyBinding",SHARED) [125uS
00166 : aminet-net : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("gadgets/chooser.gadget",44) [24uS]
-->

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@JosDuchIt

Double clicking the icons with filer does not work, since it tries to open the icon in a standard way and not change the path (there's no way for the filer to know that it should do something else than the normal operation). Until abalaban adds the entries as directories under ftp: you have to enter the path manually or create corresponding directories yourself.

There's an update suggestion for ftpmount here:

http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=162

(also see the comments)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

As I rewrote this part this might be resolved in my development version however a very nasty random bug prevents me from releasing it (crashes at startup unexpectedly).

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

I created a directory in the hosts drawer aminet-net. Its icon overwrote the original aminiet-net.info i had created.

I did take over the tooltypes as suggested in this thread.
ROOT=/
HOST=aminet.net
(USER=)
(PASSWORD=)
SLOW
MESSAGES=ERROR

Now if filer can't be used how do i connect to aminet?
Clicking on the drawer's icon, just opens an empty directory.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt
I hadn't realise you were trying to use Filer. It is MUCH easier to just use Workbench - double-click on the FTPMount icon on the Workbench's desktop, then double-click on the relevant drawer (e.g. Aminet).

If you have to use Filer (it may actually work faster with Filer, since it won't try to determine the type of every file) then you must enter the path directly. For example, if Workbench shows an Aminet drawer inside FTPMount:, then you would tell Filer to open the path FTP:Aminet .

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Amiga OS4 is supplied with two third-party programs (AmiFTP & pFTP) for accessing FTP sites. Both will allow you to read & write, although I can't comment further since I don't use them. While they are not integrated into the OS, they should give you the same (or better) access to FTP sites as Windows (and OS X).

However, there is also a program for AmigaOS called "FTP Mount", and this does something which neither Windows nor (I think) OS X can do, and that is it allows (some) other programs to access FTP sites. Just try it on Windows or OS X, and I bet you can NOT open an FTP file in a text editor without first copying it to your computer! FTP Mount allows exactly this on OS4, and can be really powerful since you could (for example) write an AmigaDOS script to do something on an FTP site.

I use FTP Mount in combination with a program I wrote (FolderSync2) to keep data files on my OS4 system in sync with data files on my Windows system. I have an FTP server running on my Windows system, and then FolderSync2 treats it just like a 'local' folder and synchronises it for me. (Actually it's not quite that simple, since FTP does not support time stamps on files, so I have to run a special program Windows before & after running FolderSync2 on the Amiga.)

-------------

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply post.

Yes accessing remote files in an integrated manner would be very welcome on any platform. In OS X I use the curiously titled CyberDuck for all my ftp requirements at work and it only has a Open file in application feature which obviously is a local copy of the file. On a similar trail of thought... in the last week I tried opening two instances of CyberDuck and dragging a file between the two - alas it didn't work and I had to revert to copying it to the desktop first and dragging it from there. So if FTP Mount would allow drag and drop of files between different remote servers (or even the same one eg. different folder in view) then that would be pretty spectacular.

As for general text editing a remote file (eg. a cgi-script, html files, .conf etc) I use Bare Bone's excellent TextWrangler which I swear by.
Many years ago I remember a TextWrangler-like application on the Amiga - I wonder if there is anything comparable nowadays in OS4 as I love the way you can have as many text files open as possible and switch between so intuitively.

Edited by djrikki on 2010/6/2 21:49:24
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH
@abalaban

I succeeded in opening aminet.net Thanks for your help

Using workbench : double clocking on the WorkbenchFTPMount icon then on the directory icon starts the connection but then seeems to freeze. If this is due to controlling all files , i don't know, but i don't think so

Using Filer or my Gui4Cli Directory manager works like a charm though.
I can easily change the order, get the size of some drawer etc

A big thanks to abalaban for this program

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@djrikki Quote:
So if FTP Mount would allow drag and drop of files between different remote servers (or even the same one eg. different folder in view) then that would be pretty spectacular.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but behind the scenes it will temporarily copy the file to your computer, before sending it on to the destination FTP server.

Quote:
As for general text editing a remote file (eg. a cgi-script, html files, .conf etc) I use Bare Bone's excellent TextWrangler which I swear by.

Seems a bit odd to have to have a special program to just edit remote text files, but I guess if the OS can't have FTP files look like local files, then you'd have to do something like that instead.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@JosDuchIt Quote:
Using workbench : double clocking on the WorkbenchFTPMount icon then on the directory icon starts the connection but then seeems to freeze. If this is due to controlling all files , i don't know, but i don't think so

Workbench is probably making DefIcons download every single file (to determine it's file type) before it will show anything. This could take a long time (especially for any huge files), but it should *eventually* finish!

This would be a lot faster if FTP Mount was better implemented, but even if you try to read only a few bytes of a file, FTP Mount will download the entire thing.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Seems a bit odd to have to have a special program to just edit remote text files, but I guess if the OS can't have FTP files look like local files, then you'd have to do something like that instead.

----------

Yeah thats what I was stating earlier - in Mac OS X when you mount an ftp device in Finder it is Read-only which is kinda useless as you can't double-click to open file in your favourite program, edit and save it.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »