Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
175 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 173

beworld, davec555, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Java
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@trixie

I would say complete memory protection and complete resource tracking ;)

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@orgin

I think I'll have to agree on that

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@orgin, Troels

These are surely important features but at the moment, they represent things "under the hood" that do not bother me too much. What bothers me is that USB support, a trivial thing I need every day, doesn't work properly on the Sam. Here's hoping for a quick fix!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

If it support “mass storage” then your safe, if does not don't buy it.
AmigaOS4 does support picture transferee protocol, I tried it once on my Camera, it worked until camera decided to turn it self off, and I don't know way, I gave up on ptp and switched back to mass storage.

If you have problems whit memory stick format it, and try again, don't copy files whit commons and keep the filenames short, then it should work, oh yes maybe there is problem whit protection bits (execution bit is not used in PC world).

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

The thing is that all the USB sticks I have tried support mass storage but the OS doesn't recognize them.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@orgin

Can you please explain why memory protection is so important on AOS?? I just don't get it, I use XP, Ubuntu, OSX and VISTA and yet when prgrams die they just do, very few programs can be rescued. Am I missing something here over the past 20 years about our OS?? Just how has memory handling been such a huge issue (apart from we had a physical lack of it)?

Cheers
ace

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

I don't know if you know some thing about electronics, but there should be pull down resistors connected to the +D -D on the motherboard, maybe you can check, the lack of restores where the problem whit AmigaONE's.

Some devices will not work because they require vendor specific drivers.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@acefnq

If you want to start a thread on that subject you are welcome to use the too hot to handle forum.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@acefnq
I guess it would be nice for a crashing app to not bring the entire OS down. (And this is coming from someone who many years ago used to argue against the need for memory protection!)

edit: However, once you have found apps that don't crash, this shouldn't be a big problem.

Edited by ChrisH on 2009/5/31 18:24:40
Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

I don't know if you know some thing about electronics, but there should be pull down resistors connected to the +D -D on the motherboard

Well mouse and keyboard work in all my USB ports so I guess the ports are wired properly? (I didn't assemble the SAM myself, I got a complete system.)

Quote:
Some devices will not work because they require vendor specific drivers.

None of the sticks I've tested require any drivers in Windows.

Don't know why OS4.1 on SAM is so picky about USB devices. The first keyboard I tried to connect (a fairly common Genius, no fancy "multimedia keyboard" with lots of extra buttons) wasn't recognised so I had to buy a plain Logitech keyboard, which works fine.

Anyway, I'm offtopic here so sorry about my thought ramblings. Guess I must wait for an OS update.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:
LiveForIt wrote:
@trixie

I don't know if you know some thing about electronics, but there should be pull down resistors connected to the +D -D on the motherboard, maybe you can check, the lack of restores where the problem whit AmigaONE's.

As you correctly state, the issue with the pull down resistors is an AmigaOne related issue. Trixie has a Sam.

The USB problems on the Sam with the beta edition of OS 4.1 for Sam (which is what they have been sold with so far) are well known and being worked on. They have nothing to do with pulldown resistors or, as far as I have understood, any other hardware issues. It's the OS support for the Sam's USB which is not fully in place yet, isn't it? (For instance, don't the USB ports work fine under Linux on Sam?)

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@nbache

I hope so

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@LiveForIt

I'm using a mem stick on my sam and it works very well. Have used it as a mp3 stick in my car and also transferred files from windows to sam without any problems. Have also a hand held barcode scanner that works without any problems.

X5000
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)