Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 152

VooDoo, orgin, BillE, zerec, sailor, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

How do i use fat95 instead of CrossDOS for USB-Harddrives/-Sticks?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have some problems with CrossDOS (buildin self-destruct) and want to use another FAT filesystem.

How do i use fat95 instead of CrossDOS for USB-Harddrives/-Sticks? I think i will need TD64Patch.

Go to top
Re: How do i use fat95 instead of CrossDOS for USB-Harddrives/-Sticks?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ZeroG

Don't waste your time with Fat95. It had so many bugs even back in those days (more than ten years ago). You'll be lucky if it even runs under OS4, and then you'll come back crying that OS4 is broken because Fat95 won't run properly.

You may refuse to believe it, but hundreds of other people don't have problems with CrossDOS. It's up to date, it's designed and tested on OS4 and I and others have spent a lot of time helping the author to debug and improve it over the years.

I earnestly suggest that you get some expert assistance to test and fix your hardware before you go any further.

cheers
tony
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw & @ZeroG

I recently needed to mount a Fat32 formatted HD to my AmigaOneXE. CrossDOS did not handle the long file names on the HD; thus, I downloaded giggledisk and fat95 from Aminet to experiment. Both worked fine. If there is a way to enable long file names in CrossDOS, let me know. I'd also like a working fat32 Zip drive mountlist (Zip100s formatted under Windows98 do not seem to appear with the current set of mountlists in DOSDrivers).

Side note: Did Gateway, Amino, Amiga Inc., or Hyperion buy the rights for CrossDOS from Consultron. If I understand, Hyperion has been updating the code (bug fixing, making PPC native, etc.).

The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

I already told you that it is most likely not a hardware problem. CrossDOS gives me the same problems on my A1 and SAM. And if it is a hardware fault there should be problems with SFS on USB-Sticks/-Harddrives, but there is no problem with it.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@tonyw

I got issues with USB sticks and CrossDOS as well. I tried to copy a 1GB+ file and it would allways crash forcing a hard reset while smaller files works fine. I tried to copy the same file for about 5 times in different ways with the same result.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @ZeroG

... it is most likely not a hardware problem. CrossDOS gives me the same problems on my A1...
I tried to save my SDK 'light' to USB drive - Sandisk. It was going good and then - hanged itself. A little autopsy showed it was murdered by PERL. As you know PERL is quite deep in sub directories and small files. I don't what the limits are in FAT32 or Amiga Dos, I'm sure that's has to be one it's limitations.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I used Fat95 on Amithlon only a few years ago to access various Windows partitions (including large files), and it was rock-solid in my experience.

But IMHO the CrossDos problems with USB sticks on Sam440 is more likely down to the crappy USB support in the beta version of OS4.1...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I don't have my Sam running yet, so I can only speak for the AmigaOne hardware.

However, I copied a few files from an XP laptop onto a USB stick (FAT32) then plugged it into the A1 and listed the contents. BTW, the mix of upper and lower case in the name dates back to a time some years ago when we were testing upper and lower case for Windows names in CrossDOS:

>list GREENGABby2:
Directory "GREENGABby2:" on Thursday 08-Jan-09
MotorData.xls 6059 ----rwed 30-Jun-08 16:33:44
SAUG-Dispursement.doc 19456 ----rwed 04-Jun-08 12:42:30
Sydney Amiga Users Group.doc 22016 ----rwed 19-Mar-08 16:01:56
EV-BOM.xls 18944 ----rwed 21-Jun-08 21:51:30
EVRanges.xls 18432 ----rwed 12-Sep-08 07:02:02
SAUG-Fin2006.doc 19456 ----rwed 07-Apr-08 11:57:32
SAUG-Fin2007.doc 19456 ----rwed 07-Apr-08 11:58:16
SAUG-Statement.doc 20480 ----rwed 07-Apr-08 15:23:22
8 files - 140K bytes - 290 blocks used

Are these names long enough to satisfy you (anyone?) that long names work OK on USB using CrossDOS?

cheers
tony
Go to top

Register To Post