Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 - software problems.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@Rigo

Quote:
Why would you need a 68K version of SFS on an A1?

Because that's the only one that can be installed in the RDB - just in case for some obscure reason the filesystem cannot be loaded from file.

saimo

Er... SFS is loaded with the kickstart. If one file in Kickstart cannot be loaded, then you have a much bigger problem than your SFS partitions.

There are no obscure reasons whatsoever you would be able to boot at all but SFS would not load.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

None of those are good enough. Just a simple process bar at the bottom is what's needed. You can see all windows at the same time and there's no extra steps you have to go through to select a window.

Edited by orgin on 2008/9/16 9:18:31
Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rogue

Quote:
Er... SFS is loaded with the kickstart. If one file in Kickstart cannot be loaded, then you have a much bigger problem than your SFS partitions.

There are no obscure reasons whatsoever you would be able to boot at all but SFS would not load.

Let's assume that it's just a problem with just the SYS:Kickstart/SmartFileSystem file: wouldn't the FS stored in the RDB make for a good fallback FS?
Another question: if the HD were attached to a Classic Amiga without AOS 4.x, wouldn't the FS enable the mounting of the partition (think of data recovery)?
(Yeah, I know, these are definitely extreme cases...)

saimo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Tunenet docky skins Ipod does not work correctly anymore : the text display is unreadable...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
AmiDock PNG icons have no own alpha anymore, shows background that did not show in 4.0 (or is it something I missed to configure?)...

/Me, myself and A1G4!
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ShInKurO

Quote:

ShInKurO wrote:
- NewsCoaster: (68k or native) freeze OS4.1;

This is bad news for me (I use NewsCoaster on regular basis). Are you using the latest version from OS4Depot?

"Ain't Got no cash, Ain't got no style, Ladies vomit when I smile, but does Zoidberg worry?"
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Kicko

About AmiStart author and why it's been difficult to
reach him.

I read a post on aros-exec.org recently from him
where he had been in an accident (can't remember
exactly) and had been in recovery for many months,
and hence could not respond to mails or code.

So maybe there will be some updates when he
is feeling better.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I have copied Env-Archive/screens/ from my OS4 partition, and the OS4 screens do not show up in the OS4.1 pref/screens.

Has the screens file format changed?
Is there any other file/s I have to copy across?
Do I really have to set up all my screens again?

Thanks for any help.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
More not so serious issues:
- softlinks to drawers are displayed just like drawers in WB TextMode (but are correctly handled in ASL requesters);
- makelink does not trigger updating of WB listers;
- Amidock background is not 100% transparent when Icon area is set to Transparent or Transparency is set to 100% (behaviour differs);
- menus transparency is still fake (not a bug, though);
- E-UAE crashes when stack is not big enough (wasn't automatic stack enlargement implemented?)

saimo

Edited by saimo on 2008/9/17 16:08:38
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@orgin

Would WindowThumbs (thumbnail pictures of windows), like ScreenThumbs, be good ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

Quote:
- softlinks to drawers are displayed just like drawers in WB TextMode (but are correctly handled in ASL requesters);

Go to the Workbench pref "text mode" tab and configure it to be underlined if you prefer...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

AccessDocky has a strange behaviour with [no title] dock, if you select it, than it disappears, and the olny way to re-shows it is to iconify/deiconify it. In Addition to this it should be configurable ("shows even window in other custom screen?", "max len of context menu item= n" or similar)

Edited by ShInKurO on 2008/9/17 10:19:13
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GrumpyOldMan

yes, NewsCoaster native latest version (((

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
AmiDock issue:

-Text labels of AmiDock on 4.1 don't look perfect, see docky clock in text mode, you have to set its font to bold for seeing something...;
-On 4.1 AmiDock many ways doesn't show the double glow effect when you selected an icon, it seems to be "freezed" and when part of the relative program starts then it shows the "second part" of double glow effect (try with OWB). This is ambiguous, in fact I don't understand if I've right clicked on icon or not...
-Many ways it happens you have to click more than once on a docky icon to executed the associated action (see docky icon of YAM, AmiFTP, NoWinED). In other word, in many occasions you have to perform a double click on a docky icon to be sure to execute the relative action;

AmiDock suggestions:

-AmiDock from OS4.0 PreRelease hasn't yet a way to "join" (magnetize?) a subdock with its icon which opens it;
-AmiDock has not any kind of explanation of why there isn't yet a way to resize icons into it, in fact it is a new piece of software (while WB is yet the old one source code and I understand it's difficult to improve it) and when AmigaOS has new features like icon.library resize icon feature it should be simple to add this feature to AmiDock;
-AmiDock has not any visual feedback when you are on the top of it with pointer, for example it could show selected icon image when you are on the top of it with pointer;
-And it's even strange that we can't set AmiDock kind of border, it would be visually good and it would follow the personalization idea of new Intuition (And it is a Reaction program, so it should be simple to add something of this...);

About new skins:

-4.1a,4.1b and 4.1c images are very good, I love visual feedback which remembers glow effect (it could be painted a version with yellow glow...). However they give a little area on which you can click, this has compromised AmigaOS UI usability, in fact your click has to be precise otherwise you haven't any action executed;
-The little click area of skin images led another usability problem in fact there is an ambigous behaviour of UI: when you "wrong" hold down on an image like "Close" or "Depht" gadget the new skins permit you to drag window from left top and right top angles of a window, it's totally wrong and have to be fixed IMO;
-Title top border of active window trasparence is not configurable;

ASL issue:

-There is not any distintion between a load file requester and a save file requester. Before than now we can identify a save requester with different colours, this thing could be implementable now for example writting directory with a red colour and file with white color or similar. I hope we will can reaquire load/save distinction;
-When it's opened a file requester in which you can select more files, it gives you a strange feature to select more the one directory. Ambiguos;
-When you open a file requester and drop into it a directory, the focus is not just into string of name file, but it gains focus after you press a key, so if you want find in a directory file "foo" with keyboard like old ASL, if you write "foo", new ASL takes "oo". You must select name string with mouse befor to write any thing;

A little suggest to AmiPDF dev:
Can you insert this behaviour (more intuitive and few errors from user use of the program while he reads a pdf):

-ArrowKeyUp/ArrowKeyDown: move up/down the visualized page (page n);
-ArrowKeyLeft/ArrowKeyRight: move to (n-1) page/ move to (n+1) page;

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@TSK

Nope, that's just overdoing it.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ShInKurO

Quote:

-Text labels of AmiDock on 4.1 don't look perfect, see docky clock in text mode, you have to set its font to bold for seeing something...;

Can't reproduce that here.. but maybe it will show up while i'm working on another issue with clock.docky.

Quote:

-On 4.1 AmiDock many ways doesn't show the double glow effect when you selected an icon, it seems to be "freezed" and when part of the relative program starts then it shows the "second part" of double glow effect (try with OWB). This is ambiguous, in fact I don't understand if I've right clicked on icon or not...

I'll check that... i *think* i know what's causing that, but i'm not sure i can fix it without major rewrites of AmiDock (which i surely won't do).

Quote:

-Many ways it happens you have to click more than once on a docky icon to executed the associated action (see docky icon of YAM, AmiFTP, NoWinED). In other word, in many occasions you have to perform a double click on a docky icon to be sure to execute the relative action;

That's not a problem of AmiDock.. every (app)docky is free in its decision if it reacts on single- or doubleclicks. AmiDock just informs the docky about what happened, but the Docky itself is responsible to react to the action.

So if one docky opens a window on single click and another docky only after doubleclick, it was the decision of the dockycoder to do it that way and not AmiDocks.

Quote:

-AmiDock from OS4.0 PreRelease hasn't yet a way to "join" (magnetize?) a subdock with its icon which opens it;

We are at OS4.1 meanwhile.. ;)

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@abalaban

Quote:
Go to the Workbench pref "text mode" tab and configure it to be underlined if you prefer...

The problem is that links to drawers are shown as drawers, so changing those settings is of no use.

saimo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:
That's not a problem of AmiDock.. every (app)docky is free in its decision if it reacts on single- or doubleclicks. AmiDock just informs the docky about what happened, but the Docky itself is responsible to react to the action.

So if one docky opens a window on single click and another docky only after doubleclick, it was the decision of the dockycoder to do it that way and not AmiDocks.

I think that there could be problem instead: a couple (or few more) times it happened to me that I clicked on the icon of an application (not a docky) and it did not start.

saimo

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

Yes I also have this impression sometime that I lost one click...

Quote:
The problem is that links to drawers are shown as drawers, so changing those settings is of no use.

Hmm ? I'll try this evening on my own A1. Which FS are you using ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This sounds strange (and serious): RAM does not get freed after usage of swap memory.
Test:
1. copy to RAM Disk more stuff than than it can hold (swapping kicks in correctly);
2. delete everything from RAM Disk;
3. free RAM is reported to be 0 (or little more) even after an "avail FLUSH".

(Problem originally reported by Menthos here.)

Edit: it does not seem to be a bug, but just a smarter way of allocating memory - here is a simple test that I did:
1. after a reboot, I opened a shell and executed avail FLUSH, which returned 185.196.544 bytes free;
2. I copied a ~28 Mb file to RAM disk;
3. I executed avail FLUSH, which returned 158.597.120 bytes free;
4. I deleted the file from RAM;
5. I executed avail FLUSH, which returned again 158.597.120 bytes free;
6. I copied the file again;
7. I executed avail FLUSH, which returned again 158.597.120 bytes free.

In a nutshell, the memory gets re-used and is re-/de-allocated only when strictly needed.

saimo

Edited by saimo on 2008/9/17 13:58:20
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »