Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »
Re: Version 1.14 is Now Available
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@afxgroup

with a crap P4 3 ghz

using Opera:

Elapsed wall-clock time: 3828ms (ideal: 640ms).
Elapsed non-idle time: 3188ms (ideal: 0ms).
Speed: 3.92fps (ideal: 25.00fps).

and with Firefox

Elapsed wall-clock time: 9078ms (ideal: 640ms).
Elapsed non-idle time: 8438ms (ideal: 0ms).
Speed: 1.65fps (ideal: 25.00fps).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Framiga

On my dual-core P4 (2.13 GHz) PC with FireFox I get:

Elapsed wall-clock time: 5125ms (ideal: 640ms).
Elapsed non-idle time: 4485ms (ideal: 0ms).
Speed: 2.93fps (ideal: 25.00fps).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@salass00

just tested my MacPro core2duo 2.3ghz FF2
Elapsed wall-clock time: 6752ms (ideal: 640ms).
Elapsed non-idle time: 6112ms (ideal: 0ms).
Speed: 2.22fps (ideal: 25.00fps).

Amiga is the heart and soul of computing nothing else comes close
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@poweramiga

hmmmm just installed opera just for a test and the results for my MacPro are
Elapsed wall-clock time: 2689ms (ideal: 640ms).
Elapsed non-idle time: 2049ms (ideal: 0ms).
Speed: 5.58fps (ideal: 25.00fps).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@poweramiga

eh, eh yes. I'm surprized me also!

Go to top
Re: Version 1.14 (1.15) is Now Available
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:

If you used AmiUpdate for installing it the new shared objects used by 1.13+ should have been installed automatically, but if you installed it manually you have to download sobjs.lha from my homepage as well and copy the Sobjs/#? files to SOBJS: and from the OWB archive OWB/Workbench/Devs/curl-ca-bundle.crt to DEVS:.

This, in the end was what I did - AmiUpdate didnt like not being able to connect to the strohmeyer site - but this has been mentioned elsewhere as a problem with ports and AmiUpdate !

works brilliantly - although I don't like the back/forward buttons being disabled while the previous page is loaded - but thats just me I guess.
Also, it does seem to go t1ts up on some sites - but the rendering looks fantastic compared to iBrowse !

Avatar: Avro Vulcan - XH558 needs YOU !!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@All

Thnaks everyone for testing all the machines but ONE, the one asked by Joerg.

I tested it on an AmigaOne and he asked for someone to test on a Classic machine.

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@K-L

your wellcome!

and about testing on classic, i did it (of course) but i have to wait until the next week to post the results

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@spotUP

Quote:

spotUP wrote:
@Rogue

by mapping the gfx to a polygon you could i guess.
but why...

Huh? You'd need a texture map for that, which is, as you might guess, a bitmap.

Basically you are shifting the problem to another place.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Rogue

Well a web page contains of lots of stuff, like Text, table, background colors, and so on, think about this as vectors, and attributes, images you do not display does not need to be in memory they can be on disk, so that a few more mb saved.

There is enough non-vector stuff on a web page. Besides, vector images take up room too...

In any case, it would be a ludicrous effort to save enough memory to make it possible to run OWB on a classic by the means of a method that would be dead slow on the classic's CPU's.

And if you come up with disk, then the only viable solution is paging anyway; which, incidentally, is already being worked on. Not that it would be that fast on the Classic IDE drives, but at least it would not be such a tremendous effort to implement.

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@LiveForIt

Quote:

LiveForIt wrote:
@Rogue

Quote:
there is no way you can efficiently create a vector image from a bitmap.

I remember correct in the "state of art" A500 demo some one created a vector animation of girl dancing.

I think it was done to save disk space.

That animation was pre-created, not made up from a bitmap. It was probably hand-drawn from a video or something like that.

That hardly qualifies.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rogue

Large gray areas do not need large textures.

And other way to save memory is color reduction 16/24 bit bitmaps to dithered 256 colors bitmaps.

Or maybe down scaling images from 1/1 to 1/2 or 1/4 of the original resolution.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

I'm curious as to what OWB is doing with memory, given that the requirements are so high. Right now I'm typing this in Firefox, and it's using ~32MB. With ten pages open (and browsing for a while) this can get up to 80MB. Is OWB grabbing a huge chunk of memory for itself on startup? Does it have a huge stack?

Also, how much faster would it be if SDL were dropped and the native API was used directly? It's a sizeable task, but SDL is known to add a certain amount of overhead.

BTW, does anyone know how to use the profiler with GCC?

Hans

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Rogue

I know for a fact that the vectors were hand traced over the original video by someone using a mouse.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@PEB

wow ! I turn my head and OWB is growing up fast.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans

Quote:
I'm curious as to what OWB is doing with memory, given that the requirements are so high.
Always rendering the complete page, not just the visible part. That's also the reason for the 100% CPU usage on forums with lots of animated smilies on the page. For example a 1000x8000 page needs 30,5 MB RAM that way just for the empty page, maybe temorarily twice as much (it does for some gfx operations like aplying alhpa, but that shouldn't happen for the final page bitmap), on top of that the contents of the page (images/anims, text and fonts, javascript objects, CSS, ...) and of course OWB itself and the used libraries (about 10 MB code and 10 MB data, most of that for the Unicode tables).

Quote:
Is OWB grabbing a huge chunk of memory for itself on startup?
No.

Quote:
Does it have a huge stack?
The 512 KB currently used in the AmigaOS4 version are probably way too much, on embedded systems they IIRC run it with 16 KB stack.

Quote:
Also, how much faster would it be if SDL were dropped and the native API was used directly?
Not at all. Even if you have a gfx card with 128 MB RAM or more and all bitmaps always fit on the gfx card it would most likely slow it down. Drawing lines, rects, poligons, straight copies of bitmaps, etc. would be much faster of course, but that's not done much. Since it's using alpha for everything and that's not HW accelerated on AmigaOS4 it would very likely be much slower than now (everything done in software in the mainboard RAM and only copying the currently visible part to the gfx card), reading back bitmaps from the gfx card RAM is very slow.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:
Quote:
Also, how much faster would it be if SDL were dropped and the native API was used directly?
Not at all. Even if you have a gfx card with 128 MB RAM or more and all bitmaps always fit on the gfx card it would most likely slow it down. Drawing lines, rects, poligons, straight copies of bitmaps, etc. would be much faster of course, but that's not done much. Since it's using alpha for everything and that's not HW accelerated on AmigaOS4 it would very likely be much slower than now (everything done in software in the mainboard RAM and only copying the currently visible part to the gfx card), reading back bitmaps from the gfx card RAM is very slow.

So, until we have hardware accelerated alpha-blending, an Warp3D/OpenGL-based rendering engine would probably help. I'm not sure if Warp3D supports non-power of two texture sizes (if it doesn't MiniGL won't either).

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Jack

Quote:
Is it possible to embed some version indication into sobjs archive filename?
If a new version of a shared object is required I'll add something, or more likely split it in 2 parts since it's very unlikely that all 4 or 5 shared objects in the current sobjs.lha will be updated at the same time. But it's unlikely that newer versions of any of them will be required at all.

Quote:
I usually download the browser from your site (once tried AmiUpdate, but there were some dns problems with OWB).
It was a problem in AmiUpdate I didn't know about, until version 1.95 it didn't support port numbers in http:// urls and tried to connect to port 80 of a server "strohmayer.org.nyud.net:8080", which of course couldn't work, instead of using port 8080 on strohmayer.org.nyud.net. With AmiUpdate version 1.96 it should work.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@joerg

Please notify me if you change the url's for the sobjs. So that I can keep http://sobjs.os4depot.net updated.

Vacca foeda. Sum, ergo edo

Mr Bobo Cornwater
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@K-L

yeah well i tested my A1XEG4@1000mhz and it was sooo slow 0.04 fps :(

Go to top

Register To Post