Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13)
Re: Introducing the Rear Window blog
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

I agree with others here, don't let his view on things weigh you down.

It sounds like he has been so busy making a living and a life for himself doing whatever he was (self-?)educated to do, that he never really got time to find out how to enjoy "playing" and experimenting, either with the tools of his daily work or for that matter some completely different hobby.

It's something that I have seen happen to some people who make computers and programming their carreer. Maybe in the beginning it fascinates you enough that it can fill not only your working hours, but also your spare time. And then the road to total nerddom is paved and polished.

Then again, databases *are* fascinating ... I spent the last couple of decades of my career getting deeper and deeper into them . But I was lucky enough to have a life as well - and my Amiga interest.

Thanks for an excellent post with lots of food for thought.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

It's unfortunate, but I think alot of people think like Dave - retro computing is still fair niche, and not everyone wants to relive the good old days.

My own first programming came from the Atari 130XE manual. Great days.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@daveyw
Its not only about retro computing, that can be anything which is hobby and not mainstream and not popular. Just some have no interest in things interest you. I dont understand for example art collectors, but this is their hobby which they can allow and have interest in. The better your life are, the more interests (which not everyone will understand) you have. All in all there are reassons why we share our amiga and os4 interest between us here, and not on bike's show where everyone will give a dim about os4 and claim it worse than stone age :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Dave sucks

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Depends how you look at it. Which would you rather use daily? An old Skoda Octavia from the 1960's or a modern Octavia from this century? If all you care about is functionality and comfortability then old machines are obsolete and not relevant any more. Even though they had their times, they are just junk today. But some people still enjoy keeping them working and have fun using them (not daily as that might be impractical just as a hobby) and maybe also have nostalgy for the times they were in daily use and modern. Dave might just be very rational thinking. not caring about anything alse then practicability but that does not mean others who value ideals and nostalgy more cannot have fun using machines that aren't main stream or relevant today. Unfortunately AmigaOS is not viable as a daily use system today, it lacks memory protection, 64 bit and support for most common platforms today but as a hobby and nostalgy it can have a place. You can be stuck in the past, live only for today or try to make the future, it's up to everybody to decide what they like to do.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

Thanks for reading, everybody!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

The new post on the Rear Window blog sheds some light on the development of version 1.7, which has just been released on OS4depot.

Enjoy reading & the new version! And as usual - if you'd like to support my OS4 activities, feel free to buy me a coffee or use the PayPal donation button on my blog site. Thank you!

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Top quality! Both app and blog posts

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@trixie

Great read. Yep, 2023 was a horrible year...

Would love to see your file requestor with preview function expanded to include images and maybe video and rolled out across the OS.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@trixieQuote:
trixie wrote:@all

The new blog post is a bit more personal this time and less about development, but I hope you'll enjoy it.

Your friend is a remarkably unsentimental person. This reminds me of something a history teacher once told us: the past is not behind us, we are standing on it.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@trixie

nice update man!!!
BTW your sndreq.class would be an awesome newreq.class (asl replacement),.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ trixie

thanks for the update Dave sounds like an introvert and a boring one to boot

@BSzili

wells said words you're old history teacher quoted.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

Thank you for your feedback, and I especially thank those of you who have sent a donation. Your generous support is really appreciated! I don't think I'll spill too many beans when I say that I have already started working on version 1.8, which should finally support recording. Cross your fingers!

@BSzili, @328gts

Yes, seeing how my friend has changed was disappointing. There's a certain grudge in him that I think stems from the fact that he hasn't been able to turn his life into something meaningful. But then again, he gave me a topic for my blog, so...

The Rear Window blog

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13)