Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

orgin, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: DDR2/SATA2/USB2 vs DDR3/SATA3/USB3?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

Some things still remain a secret, but we know Xena is one of the chips that will be used, and it's in fact a powerful XMOS co-processor..

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

Quote:

Helgis wrote:
@billt

Some things still remain a secret, but we know Xena is one of the chips that will be used, and it's in fact a powerful XMOS co-processor..

It is whatever it is, and it's also irrelevant to this topic.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

True. It was not really the topic, but just to have it mentioned regarding your concern, but enough of that..

I got answers to my questions, and that what was important..

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@thread

Power 2.05E

1.6+ Ghz

PowerPC 476FP Embedded Core supports a DDR3 memory controller with coherency support.

SMP from 4,000 to 32,000 DMIPS. 4750 DMIPS/core - up to 8 core.

3 GFLOPS DP-floating point.

1.6 watt

https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/t ... werPC_476FP_Embedded_Core

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@angelheart

Oh yes, that's correct. This one is quite new and might be very expensive as a start. Might be a couple of years before the Amiga might start using this technology..

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@476FP

That SoC is one of the many powerfull PPC additions that seems to be coming to market in 2010-2011.

But PowerPC 476FP is not as powerfull as PA6T, even though the advertising is interesting:
"The PowerPC 476FP core offers an ideal solution for a range of applications from digital TVs to highly parallel, high-performance computers. "

(476 seems to lack things like VMX unit, 64bit addressing, support for PCIe x16 and it has smaller L1 caches, etc.... so DDR3 is not enough to beat DDR2 capable PA6T in real world desktop applications)

****a bit offtopic****
To me, everything still indicates that nemo is a very powerfull PA6T powered board. (latest is that the PCB picture show matching I/O with PA6T, just MHO)

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@KimmoK

I certainly agree with you on what you say, and i especially loved what you say in the last post. Yes, Nemo is definitely a PA6T-motherboard, and an extremely powerful one, too!

A-EON did the right choice!

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helgis

And it seems that IBM agrees with you that PPC will enter back to dekstop.
(kind of, re: "high-performance computers")

- Kimmo
--------------------------PowerPC-Advantage------------------------
"PowerPC Operating Systems can use a microkernel architecture with all it�s advantages yet without the cost of slow context switches." - N. Blachford
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@KimmoK

Yes, i do believe that PPC is returning its' popularity back to the desktop market as well, too...

IBM have done an excellent job in improving the PPC technology! They have fully abanded x86 technology!

- Helgis
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

DDR2 vs DDR3 is useless to talk about, the memory controllers inside the X1000 CPU are probably DDR2 anyway.
The difference being that DDR3 draws less power in the same clock frequence. But at little or no speed increase.
The modules can however run at much higher clock than DDR2 so if you buy insanely exensive modules DDR3 will go faster. But you'll need a memory controller that supports this of course.

Regarding SATA2 vs SATA3.. This quote taken from Wikipedia..
"The new specification contains the following changes:

* A new Native Command Queuing (NCQ) streaming command to enable isochronous data transfers for bandwidth-hungry audio and video applications.
* An NCQ Management feature that helps optimize performance by enabling host processing and management of outstanding NCQ commands.
* Improved power management capabilities.
* A small low insertion force (LIF) connector for more compact 1.8-inch storage devices.
* A connector designed to accommodate 7 mm optical disk drives for thinner and lighter notebooks.
* Alignment with the INCITS ATA8-ACS standard.

The enhancements are generally aimed at improving quality of service for video streaming and high priority interrupts. In addition, the standard continues to support distances up to a meter. The new speeds may require higher power consumption for supporting chips, factors that new process technologies and power management techniques are expected to mitigate. The new specification can use existing SATA cables and connectors, although some OEMs are expected to upgrade host connectors for the higher speeds. Also, the new standard is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gbit/s."

USB3 is the best improvement in real life..
I have read test that have gotten above 130MB/s transfer speed. That's a huge improvement to USB2 with about 30MB/s, and in best cases maybe up to 35-40MB/s.

Best Regards,

Harry

[SOLD] ?A1-C, 512MB, Antec Aria
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@angelheart

I speculate the 476 core you link to is what AMCC refers to as the Titan. I could be wrong, I'm only guessing. It's is used in the LSI Axxia ACP3448 chip, which sounds very interesting as well, though I do not suspect that to be "the one".

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samwel

Thanks, mate. I noticed these results too when i checked for information on all that. The only thing to realize as you say for real life, is the positive effect USB3 will have over USB2, but the real difference seems to be some speed improvement over version 2 of all these..

I'm thinking about making another new topic. A topic that describes how the A1-X1000 and SAM460 mark a new beginning, and it's from there these models will secure the future of the Amiga for real..

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

It COULD be the Titan..

If you google PowerISA, and go down to version 2.06 of the PowerISA, you will find Titan, and probably you will see if Titan is the 476 chip or not..

- Helgis
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helgis

But the 476 was 2.05? Or was i lost here?

But the 476 looks to be a good one.

X5000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Antique

Wait, you're probably right there. 476 could be the PowerISA 2.05 while Titan is PowerISA 2.06. A very good chip both of them depending on what hardware platform to have them into..

- Helgis
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)