@LiveForIt @joerg @samo79 @K-L If I may chime in on this discussion. For now, it looks like the program will be ported to AOS4 from the original code. If the original version uses “ibfreetype + fontconfig,” then even if someone were doing this without AI, they wouldn't bother with it. The priority is stable code, and then fine-tuning. Why create problems for yourself right from the start? There will definitely be time for that later.
I'd like to advocate for using MUI or ReAction, rather than native Intuition/GadTools, for the user interface. It's likely that AI can just as easily create the UI using native Intuition as using one of the GUI toolkits, so there's little advantage to the developer in the AI era.
But there are advantages to the user, who can customize the look of the UI using one of the toolkits, unlike native Intuition. And there are advantages to the system, since it's more memory efficient for several programs to share something like a toolbar class than it is for each program to roll their own using just native Intuition/GadTools gadgets.
Yeah, fonts on your old Origyn Web Browser had also a nicer look, where we can found the source?
All of my AmigaOS 4.x parts were on the Pleyo OWB SVN. That doesn't exist since several years anymore, but the author of the AROS OWB port who, unlike the MorphOS OWB developer, uploaded all of his changes to the Pleyo SVN as well may still have a copy of those sources. I don't have the complete OWB sources anymore, all I have on backups are diffs of my latest changes to the OWN SVN, and the sources of my AmigaOS 3.9/m68k port which doesn't include the AmigaOS 4.x-only AmigaOS native font rendering functions: The bullet.library from AGFA Compugraphic used in AmigaOS 2.1-3.9 was way too limited compared to Detlef's AmigaOS 4.x outline font engine.
Fonts via fontconfig, PROGDIR:Fonts/WkSans.ttf, plus SYS:Fonts
I guess libfreetype + fontconfig? Why?
I implemented AmigaOS 4.x native font rendering in OWB nearly 20 years ago already and it was at least 10 times faster than using libfreetype2. All of it open source of course, in Pleyo's OWB SVN.
Yes: libfreetype + fontconfig + HarfBuzz + Cairo. That is the WebKit 2.50 text stack (same family as WebKitGTK), not a random extra.
Your OWB diskfont path was the right call for that engine. Quasar is not that WebKit. Layout, CSS, @font-face, WOFF/OTF, and complex scripts all go through FontPlatformData/FreeType and HarfBuzz. Page text is UTF-16 inside the engine; glyphs come from the TTF Unicode cmap. AmigaOS codesets / diskfont.library cannot be that backend without rewriting the font cache, glyph pages, and shaper.
Speed: diskfont can beat FreeType on a handful of Latin UI glyphs. A modern page is not that. Glyphs are cached; the cost is layout and script, not Bullet vs FT per letter. We still ship PROGDIR:Fonts/WkSans.ttf so it runs without a tuned SYS:Fonts set. fontconfig can index extra TTFs under PROGDIR (and SYS:Fonts when they are real TTF), it does not draw through diskfont.
So: native OS4 fonts stay a possible fallback for chrome later. They are not a drop-in replacement for the 2.50 web text path. I did look at the old OWB sources — different problem.
MacStudio ARM M1 Max Qemu//Pegasos2 AmigaOs4.1 FE / AmigaOne x5000/40 AmigaOs4.1 FE
I implemented AmigaOS 4.x native font rendering in OWB nearly 20 years ago already and it was at least 10 times faster than using libfreetype2.
I'm not sure what you mean with native font rendering. But you still used freetype2 because the ~native AOS4 font engine (bullet "standard") "ft2.library" is using freetype2. So freetype2 is used either way, either directly by app or indirectly through AOS font engine.
Quote:
All of it open source of course, in Pleyo's OWB SVN.
I have looked on old HD and I have some owb-1.9-src.tar.bz2 lying around. 25317487 bytes big.
I think there i some memory to be saved if AmigaOS had a global font cache, but that's is different angle.. how many programs use the same font.. how many times is it duplicated in memory.
maybe if font is used so often maybe it can be unloaded.. and loaded when needed.. if you can track how often its rendered.
(NutsAboutAmiga)
Basilisk II for AmigaOS4 AmigaInputAnywhere Excalibur and other tools and apps.