Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

nbache, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Odyssey LocalStorage
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Does anyone know what Odyssey stores in the LocalStorage drawer? When I look at the large files in that drawer with a Hex reader, it all looks like some sort of script.

Go to top
Re: Odyssey LocalStorage
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

For me it stores lots of small SQL files (~3KB) which seem to hold some information about sites i visited.

Maybe it's the offline cache for the sites?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
AFAIR Fab said somewhere that Oddysey has no on-disk cache. It could store the history of the visited sites though.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@BSzili
I think Odyssey stores the history in the History.db file. There is also a sessions directory storing session states. Most of the files in LocalStorage are small files with the same size containing very little data. However, the larger files contain extensive scripts (javascript?) and I'm wondering what those scripts are for and why I would need to store them.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

LocalStorage was introduced with HTML5. To be simple, it basically does the same as cookies and stores data in a (sql) database.
Many sites use localstorage nowadays, but you can still disable it globally or locally in Odyssey settings.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Fab

Quote:
@xenic

LocalStorage was introduced with HTML5. To be simple, it basically does the same as cookies and stores data in a (sql) database.
Many sites use localstorage nowadays, but you can still disable it globally or locally in Odyssey settings.

IIRC, one big difference between local storage and cookies is that cookies are sent with every HTTP request to the server that set that cookie. By contrast, local storage really is just local storage for a web app.

Hans

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Hans
Quote:
By contrast, local storage really is just local storage for a web app.

Can the execution of those web apps be triggered by cookies or some other event? Can a web app be a keystroke logger or install a keystroke logger? Maybe I'm being too paranoid but I think I might disable localstorage just to be on the safe side. Will disabling it have any negative impact on browser speed or effeciency?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@BSzili

Quote:
AFAIR Fab said somewhere that Oddysey has no on-disk cache.

Why is this ?
A local cache is one of the most useful features of a browser.

I find that Odyssey does not work well with sites that have heavy use of javascript, like ebay and homebase.co.uk. Often the only way to continue is kill the dead connections and do a refresh and it is extremely inefficient to have to reload all the files that should be in a locally accessible cache. Especially when stuck with 512kbps broadband !

Does anyone have the slightest idea as to what the Cache Model setting does in Prefs ? It has settings of Document Viewer, Document Browser and Primary Web Brower. None of which seem to do anything or improve performance.

On a related note, when dead connections have been aborted, browsing can continue but the LED indicators are not freed up. Once these have all been used odyssey grinds to a halt and has to be closed down and restarted.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@xenic

Quote:

Can the execution of those web apps be triggered by cookies or some other event? Can a web app be a keystroke logger or install a keystroke logger? Maybe I'm being too paranoid but I think I might disable localstorage just to be on the safe side. Will disabling it have any negative impact on browser speed or effeciency?

I believe, but it would be worth researching to verify, that the same type of security restrictions that apply to cookies applies to local data, thus only the domain that set it can retrieve it. So whilst a key logger might be implmented it would only log keystrokes on pages on the owning scripts domain, thus be of little point as that info is available to the page anyway.

Go to top

Register To Post