Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

AMIGASYSTEM, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

AmigaOS 4.2 for Classics?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
As one of the main targets for AmigaOS 4.2 is multi-core support, does anyone feel that there will be any reason for updating Classic h/w to 4.2?

Valiant@Camelot
AmigaOne XE, 800Mhz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u7
Sam440ep, 666Mhz, 512Mb, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1u6
A1-X1000, 1.8Ghz, 1GB, 9250 Radeon, OS4.1x
A1-X5000/40 2.2Ghz, 2GB, Radeon HD 7700, OS4.1 FE ud 2
Go to top
Re: AmigaOS 4.2 for Classics?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I might be stupid but how do you update your classic h/w to 4.2?

Also why would AOS 4.2 run worse on one core than the current version?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Valiant

Hope there will be others in 4.2 than multicore support. I have single core PPC machines which are waiting for it.

However in context of your question, why not? Let the poor emulation fans have a new toy!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Valiant

Quote:
does anyone feel that there will be any reason for updating Classic h/w to 4.2?

More then likely there will be other fixes and improvements to libraries and device other stuff, that might be useful for classic Amiga users, also if you don't have the latest versions of system libraries there is chance that some of new software uploaded to OS4Depot.net wont work.

Its true that multi-core is not useful on single core CPU, but its only one feature you can use, in the same way that CPU with out AltiVec can't use program that support AltiVec.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Aren't all nextgen systems that are supported by 4.1 single core except for the x1000?

If classic is dropped by 4.2, it might be because of winuae's PowerPC support emulates classic only.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@themamboman

Quote:
Aren't all nextgen systems that are supported by 4.1 single core except for the x1000?

Currently, yes. This will change once A-EON's A1-X5000 series is released.

Quote:
If classic is dropped by 4.2, it might be because of winuae's PowerPC support emulates classic only.

I highly doubt that WinUAE will factor into any decision making.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
if os 4.2 is portet to 68k then the onboard 020 cpu will allso be used when you have an lets say an 060 acc card in your amiga.. i never seem to understand way no one never maked a powerup thing with an petunia main app for 68k

så the os could run on the os 020 and then benafit from the ram on the acc card and you got all the power on the acc card to work with...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@retro

Quote:
if os 4.2 is portet to 68k then the onboard 020 cpu will allso be used when you have an lets say an 060 acc card in your amiga..

Context switching between 680x0 and PowerPC is too slow, because the 680x0 and PowerPC does not shere CPU cache. This is way the 680x0 is parked when running Classic AmigaOS4.x.

SMP support wont enable you to use 680x0 under classic AmigaOS4.2

Quote:
i never seem to understand way no one never maked a powerup thing with an petunia main app for 68k

I'm not sure I understand your question, but Petunia is in use on PowerUP cards when using Classic AmigaOS4.x.

Way H&P and Phase5 decided not to make some thing like Petunia, might have some thing to do with getting the product to market before the product became outdated.

If you look at the amount of work required to make some thing like Petunia. I don't know when Álmos Rajnai started working on Petunia, but AmigaOS4.0 was ready in 2004 or was Petunia ready latter I don't remember, so maybe it was 3 years (or more). UAE JIT 2011-2014, so soon its 4 year in the making.

JIT compilers are complicated programs, that take lot of time to make, and also you developer that can speak assembler code and hex numbers. JIT compilers are magic code.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Edited by retro on 2014/9/20 9:00:38
Go to top