Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
File transfer between Amigas
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I have one OS4 machine and 2 classics in my lan. I can easily transfer files between OS3.X amigas with NETMOUNT command, but to transfer files TO/FROM OS4 machine I need to turn on my PC.

Any solution for that? Good one would be AmigaExplorer OS4 version, but it not possible. So what are my options? I rather do it with my PC than setup Samba.

I have also tried Envoy, but seems that installer is broken? Or at least it doesn't install any of my amigas.

Edited by utri007 on 2013/4/18 23:23:52
Go to top
Re: File traansfer between Amigas
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
That's strange, I use Envoy with all my AmigaOS systems (3.9 and 4.1).

You could also try the good old netfs, works as well (but zero security). For accenssing with my old XP netbook I also installed Samba/smbfs on all machines, so I have at least three variants of network connection protocols running.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I am using AmigaNetFS, which is what has the NetMount command you refer to. You are probably also using it on your classic machines.

But did you install all the necessary components on your OS4 machine? The NetMount command itself is not enough, you need also the netfs-handler and netfs-server (for each of the directions; the handler is for mounting a remote disk as a local filesystem, while the server honors requests from your other machines to do the same for them).

You also need to set up your Internet prefs to handle the server/service.

It works for me between all my OS4 machines (as well as my only active OS3.x A1200 at the rare times I use it). The only problem is on my Sam460ex; I have not yet been able to mount any other machine's volume on it. It's fine as a server, though <shrug>.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
OK I can found it Aminet, need to try it. It is 68 only, bad that there is no PPC version

Maybe it is installed with genesis?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I started a port some time ago, and even got to the point it was working reliably. But as usual I got distracted by another project and the port never got updated (I wanted it to be updated to more up to date APIs and as such to take advantage of the new OS's features). I should probably release it "as is" but first I must finish with that temperature docky thing, then come back to the Wacom USB driver update I was working on before that, then release that ftpd update I'm sitting on for about one year and an half... and then eventualy resume that work on NetFS...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
One thing to notice about the netfs from aminet, is that you need to manually set the executable flag to the service. At least I had to do that.

Other than that it works for moving files in Workbench, but not reading using Multiview or Notepad, and more. It works with applications such as Cubic IDE, but in the other cases DOS complains about unsupported packet or something. I'm guessing something with newer DOS calls?

Maintainer and developer for Jamiga2 - Java for Amiga
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
What I'm supposed to do with netfs.server and handler? I copied ntfs.handler to L: but, server is still a mystery :(

Should I configure it as a server with a internet prefs??

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes, that is it.

I made a drawer called Servers in DEVS: and put it there.

In Internet prefs, you need to have a service definition (don't remember if that is present as default) and a server using it, containing the path where you put the server.

It's all explained in the doc file in the archive. Even though it assumes you're using AmiTCP, it's more or less the same you do in RoadShow - you can even edit the raw files instead of using the prefs editor if you prefer, like with AmiTCP. The files are in DEVS:Internet and have the traditional names and formats.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
abalaban wrote:
I started a port some time ago,

[...]

I should probably release it "as is"
Would be very nice!

Although of course a fully modernized/polished version some day would be great too. But you never know, once the code is released, someone else might take it from there (assuming you were intending to release it with source, of course).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@abalaban

So you had the sources for NetFS????
Wow. Now you are forced to finish it or I'll ask you every day

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Small gui would be nice :D

I've some problems with it, usually big files fail some point of transfer. Is there something I can do to it?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Problem

I created a service named amiganetfs, it uses TCP port 2500, then I created server, browsed to file netfs.server, I put it in DEVS:Servers. Configured it to use amiganetfs service.

netfs.handler is in L: and netmount in C:

Everythin is seems to be OK

When I try to netmount 192.168.0.20 work work1, I get error AmiTCP handler not found, it asks to assign AMiTCP, if I assign it to L: same error.

How do I get it found netfs.handler??

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
What would you want such a GUI to do? I assume you'd want it to be an alternative to issuing the NetMount command in a shell?

In that case, the only thing a GUI would be able to do was give you three string gadgets where you can type the three needed parameters (remote hostname, remote volume name, and local volume name). And a couple of buttons to let you mount or cancel.

It might be nice if some time in the future the AmigaNetFS server were able to support some sort of discovery, where the running servers can announce their presence on the LAN, so the GUI can find them (maybe a broadcast with responses) and present them in a list or chooser gadget. And once a server (host) is chosen, it could be made possible to ask the server which volumes are present, so those can be presented for selection. But the local volume name would still have to be entered, as that can be freely chosen.

Of course a GUI could also (even without such changes in the protocol) offer to save entered NetMount specifications, so mounting the same remote volume again later could be done simply by choosing it in a list of recently used mounts.

Anyway, I look more forward to the possibility of having AmigaNetFS support some missing packets, e.g. I currently get an error about unknown packet type when I try to open a file in NotePad over the network. But I haven't had problems like you mention with big files, at least I don't remember seeing any. And I did transfer e.g. a good part of my MP3 collection of all my ripped CDs.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Netfs expects to find it's components (netfs-server at least) in "AmiTCP:bin/". So you need to construct such an assign. Me has a "Bin" drawer in my "SYS:" partition, so my "AmiTCP:" assign points to "SYS:". You may choose any other place as long as you are able to serve the "AmiTCP:Bin" structure to Netfs.

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Still doesn't work :(

I created AmiTCP/BIN under the Workbench:Internet/AmiTCP/BIN

I can assign AmiTCP: so path is correct, but it still can't found handler.

It can't possibly care upper/lower case?? I mean bin is typer in upper case BIN

As about GUI. It is just personal opinion. I do a lot Win2k8/exchange2010 shell scripting and I hate it, it is just like eighties.

Edited by utri007 on 2013/4/18 23:24:55
Go to top
Re: File transfer between Amigas
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
OK now it works :) netfs.handler needed to be AmiTCP/L

I must say, it works like a dream 250kb/s to my A1200, I transferred 178mb really fast. Or at least if I compare speed to "from A1200 to A1200"

Native version would be nice, but this was very pleasant surprice.

It is nice how it show my 68k Amiga devices on my OS4 desktop.

GUI would be nice, I belive that would be easy task for someone, or me :) What would be easy tool to make gui for shell command?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
cha05e90 wrote:
Netfs expects to find it's components (netfs-server at least) in "AmiTCP:bin/".
Not true.

I have no AmiTCP: assign on my Amigas, and NetFS works fine.

All the server needs is to be configured as a server in DEVS:Internet/servers or in the Internet prefs editor, with the path in which you choose to install it. For me, that is Devs:Servers, so I have the following line added to my servers file:

amiganetfs stream stack=1024000 SYS:Devs/Servers/netfs-server

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
You must have different version than us??? This version from aminet requires AmiTCP assign and correct folder structure. netfs.handler ned to be AmiTCP/L folder, or it doesn't work. I tried what you suggested and it started to asking AmiTCP,

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

What would be easy tool to make gui for shell command?

ProAction ?

http://www.broad.ology.org.uk/amiga/proaction/

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I also use netfs between my Amigas without trouble.

To keep it simple I only configured the XE as the server and use netmount on the X1000.

On the XE I Roadshow prefs under services I have amiganetfs set to port 2500 using tcp.
Under Servers I have added amiganetfs type Stream, Program: MY:Path/to/netfs-server, no arguments, Active, No wait, No socket I/O.

On the X1000 I do have the assign:path/file AmiTCP:L/netfs-handler, I'm not sure it's required, perhaps putting the handler in L: would work too, but that path is hard-coded in the NetMount command.

Hope it helps

A1-XE-G4 7455/933 - 2GB RAM - OS4.1 beta - Radeon 9200-256
Audigy2 - ESI Julia - Solo1 - X10 (cm11a) - WiFi (WAP11) - 2x80GB HDD
Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »