Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

What GIMP?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I just noticed that AmiCygnix/Software contains

Gimp-2.4.7 Dir ----rwed 09-Apr-11 17:58:27
and
Gimp-2.6.11 Dir ----rwed 09-Apr-12 11:50:58

But Gimp-2.6.11/ contains nothing but .info files. Is that the way it should be? Shouldn't I be able to actually run 2.6?

Go to top
Re: What GIMP?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Wait a little bit. Soon will come 2.6.1 :)
It is in the final testing phase

Amiga600/Vampire2/PrismaMegaMix​/32GB CF Card/2x Rys Mk2/A604n/IndivisionECS/Gotek
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ kilaueabart

I guess you've installed the AmiCygnix icons from OS4-depot?? This package of course only includes icons.
The new Gimp 2.6 package will be published soon.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@cygnusEd

Hi mate just a curiosity about Gimp, is there any technical issue for releasing 2.6 once 2.8 is already availible ?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I've tried the 2.8 on the pc. And i really hate the way you have to save files. Cant use the old save/save as. Must use export for saving other files than gimp types.

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

cygnusEd wrote:
@ kilaueabart

I guess you've installed the AmiCygnix icons from OS4-depot?

Obviously (I see now) I did. I wonder why I did such a thing?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:

samo79 wrote:
@cygnusEd

Hi mate just a curiosity about Gimp, is there any technical issue for releasing 2.6 once 2.8 is already availible ?

Gimp 2.6 is what I can offer. It is now well tested and I worked on it for over a year.
Technically there is no big problem to port 2.8, except that I expect, that Gimp 2.8 will be horribly slow. The new Gimp uses the new GEGL graphics system. In parts it is implemented in 2.6 too and it is very slow. Maybe it can be optimized, but this means additionally work. So I guess I will need about a year (or more) to complete a port.

@kilaueabart
Quote:
I wonder why I did such a thing?

Damn - I really don't know

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I use gimp 2.6 under gnome on linux, I originally rebuilt my own 2.6 as the 2.8 default was very slow. *but* having built 2.6 I found it just as slow, ultimatly the real reason for the slowness under gnome3 was there equivalent of compositing enabled dsktop is outrageuosly slow and innefficient.

I revertd linux back to ggnome fallback mode and speed was restored, however I prefered 2.6 so I stuck with it.

As often happens when prgrams reach maturity, changes start to get made for the sake of change and whilst it's always a matter of taste often the baby get thrown out with the bath water.

2.4 -> 2.6 big improvement (for my taste)
2.6 ->2.8 step backwards (for my taste)

BTW if speed is an issue SketchBlock is faster than any version of GIMP

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I just downloaded and installed Gimp 2.6.11. Sadly there seems to be some problem in positioning and opening the softwares multiple windows. While on my Sam440ep (1280x1024) everything opens just nice where it should, the initial windows positions on my PegasosII and X1000 (1600x900) are completely out of range:
- the window positions are somewhere down on the left side, only the upper quarter of them visible.
- the windows are much to high; even if I rearrange the windows positions to the top of the desktop I can't rescale them, 'cos the resizing gadgets are still off screen at the bottom.
- Gimp doesn't seem to remember my settings and reopens it's windows at the left down part of the desktop again...

Semi-Off-topic:
- Further there seems to be some minor hassle with my X1000/RadeonHD setup: The bottom start/icon bar is always to wide, the clock is only partly visible. The Pegasos II with the same resolution/9250 works perfectly in this regards.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Go to EDIT/SETTINGS/Window Managment/Window position to default values
Press OK
Exit Gimp and start it again

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Ah, ok, thanks! This and the temporary change of panel position to reach the obscured window scaling gadgets did the trick!

Go to top

Register To Post