Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Size of SDK Partition
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I am setting my hd (500Gb) with different partitions (Amiga OS 4.1 Classic), in your opinion what's the right size for an SDK partition?

Go to top
Re: Size of SDK Partition
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I personally don't have a seperate partition for SDK it's just part of my Work partition which is 10 gigs and there is still heaps of room left

Of course if you are looking at hosting alot of projects within your SDK then factor this in

~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I was thinking about the possibility to just install the SDK and additional dev files in a partition so that i can update/format/delete my system/work/other without losing the sdk files..

10Gigabyte for SDK files and future update should be enough i guess

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Why reformat work/other? Should just be able to reformat system, and leave everything else intact.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
My programming partition is 20Gb of whih 13.5 is in use

I do have 4 coppies of the SDK in there though so that would bring down usage by 1.5 gigs if I took out the old ones.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
10GB is plenty. I think I have like 4GB but that is completely full now because I also have e-mails on it, and TeTex and other projects.

10GB is good future proofing in case you ever want to start messing with larger projects, like OWB, MPlayer, or anything in that size. I cannot fit those on my SDK parition because I made it too small. Had I chosen 10GB I would have been fine. Now I have to mix those monsters with my MP3 archive instead... ;)

Software developer for Amiga OS3 and OS4.
Develops for OnyxSoft and the Amiga using E and C and occasionally C++
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I can't see the point of tons of partitions, it just means you run into partition size limits.

Why not just have one huge Data/Work partition, and stored the SDK on that? And another for Programs (or put it on Work as well if you want). Have a separate Temp partition, to avoid fragmentation (and possibly corruption) of your Data/Work partition. Nothing more required

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
For porting at least it's convenient to have source codes and programs on the same partition, since the source archives often - not always - come with all the required data which you could then just rename to the right place when you're done. My projects and SDK fit within 6 GB still.

Go to top

Register To Post