Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

AMIGASYSTEM, sTix, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3)
Re: NetSurf 3.0-dev
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

I don't know if libcurl is used for all of the HTTP traffic, and DNS resolving, but if so, hopefully the new libcurl I built may speed up NetSurf because of the multithreaded DNS resolver. This is something I wish OWB had.

NetSurf will probably have to be recompiled to work with the new libcurl. I'd expect it to just crash if you stuck the new .so in place of the old one. I haven't tried it.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MickJT

Excellent, so this can finally solve the OWB's lockup during loading ?

http://bugs.os4depot.net/?function=viewissue&issueid=469

If so, do we need a new OWB compile ?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:

If so, do we need a new OWB compile ?

I guess we do. If Joerg releases the sources.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kilaueabart

I'm very confused. Are you extracting the archive to RAM: and then running Install and pointing it to the directory you extracted? If so, please don't do that - point it directly to where you want it on your HD, or at the very least to a newly-created directory in RAM:.

It's the only reason you would have SObjs, fitr (what this is is explained in the URL you posted btw) and both NetSurf and NetSurf-Cairo without the correct icons (well, the incorrect icons are probably because the install crashed - which is likely to be because it was copying files over themselves).

If this isn't what you are doing, can you please ask Installer to create a log file and post it or email it to me?

Chris

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

I recompiled, it's better to keep all the new libssl 1.0.0 dependant stuff separate to the old libssl 0.9.8 ones, I think. They are entirely different sonames so nothing should break...

NetSurf doesn't seem any quicker, I suppose if it stalls contacting the DHCP server we won't have to wait for a timeout now, not really sure how to test that.

It alls works anyway, thanks

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

No probs. Do SSL certificates get verified? I'm curious about this, and whether they did previously. OWB uses curl-ca-bundle.crt in its "Resources" directory.

I assume you meant DNS not DHCP.

Edited by MickJT on 2010/11/11 7:42:56
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

Yes, it does - but NetSurf has its own root certificates bundle as well.

I did mean DNS, yes, was half asleep when I replied.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
(Made some stupid reply, responding to old post. Ignore this).

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

Actually, spoke too soon. The resolving part is a little unstable, getting a fair few of these: http://crashlog.os4depot.net/cl316

Don't know whether the problem lies with libcurl or bsdsocket.library though (might even be newlib at fault). The crashing is a bit random - but it looks like it might occur when timing out on a DNS lookup (seems to happen when there are a lot of images on a page which don't download - eg. the thumbnail pics on Google News)

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Hmm. I guess revert back if you have to. I could make a version without AsynchDNS if you'd like. Not straight away, give me a day or so, but let me know if you want me to do it.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@MickJT

It might be worth it, if only to see if the async is the problem.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@kilaueabart

I'm very confused. Are you extracting the archive to RAM: and then running Install and pointing it to the directory you extracted? If so, please don't do that - point it directly to where you want it on your HD, or at the very least to a newly-created directory in RAM:.

I don't think that was what I was doing. I wish I had made a log file of that one because it at least was working and I was starting to use it sometimes instead of OWB (I did have an occasional problem with SSL certificates).

Today I installed three more times, once each as Expert, Novice, and Intermediate. Novice to see if I had answered the question about whether to install a larger libxml2.so over a smaller one with a new date stamp correctly when I played Expert. I didn't get a clear answer, and the Novice Install put NetSurf in a really strange place (my YAM drawer!).

None of the three new installs work.

Quote:

If this isn't what you are doing, can you please ask Installer to create a log file and post it or email it to me?

Chris

I'll e-mail all three of today's log files.

Fortunately the old install still works.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kilaueabart

I take it you got my email? Did it help?

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
@kilaueabart

I take it you got my email? Did it help?

Chris

As you no doubt now know, I didn't get a chance to find out until a day after you asked that question and the answer is "no."

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3)