Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

ferrels, BSzili, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Lightspark: a faster alternative to Gnash?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
http://allievi.sssup.it/techblog/?p=260

Since they use LLVM, it might one day be possible to have JIT Flash on the Amiga... (Until then they also have a Flash interpreter.)

It supports ActionScript 3.0, which Gnash apparently does not, but which YouTube is moving to. So Lightspark might be more future-proof as well.

It uses OpenGL (hopefully nothing too complicated) for rendering, so a port might not be "too" complicated?

It also has a Mozilla-compatible plugin (cough Timberwolf? cough).

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Lightspark: a faster alternative to Gnash?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

It supports ActionScript 3.0, which Gnash apparently does not, but which YouTube is moving to. So Lightspark might be more future-proof as well.

Gnash supports it. it must be enabled in configure step. But doesn't support all functions

Quote:

It uses OpenGL (hopefully nothing too complicated) for rendering, so a port might not be "too" complicated?

Also gnash has an OpenGL output but do you think it will speedup something on our systems??

Quote:

It also has a Mozilla-compatible plugin (cough Timberwolf? cough).

Same for gnash, but we don't have an SDK yet

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup Quote:
gnash has an OpenGL output but do you think it will speedup something on our systems??

I don't have a clue how Gnash outputs, nor how it was adapted to work on AmigaOS4. If you reckon that OpenGL output would be worse, then I will take your word!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

According to this post on the LLVM mailing list LightSpark uses LLVM's JIT as well as OpenGL. If the next version of the OS 4 SDK supports LLVM it might be possible to port to OS 4.

-edit-
According to the LightSpark webpage it requrires GLSL shaders also. This means that until we get a full implementation of MESA or OpenGL, this product is a no-go. If the next version of the OS 4 SDK supports shaders then there is a chance.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
LightSpark looks like a project that's worth keeping an eye on. IIRC, the biggest problem with Gnash is that its code is not reentrant. Added to that, the two hardware accelerated backends, Cairo and OpenGL, are incomplete, and not maintained as well as the software only one (whose name I have forgotten). If the Cairo backend worked fully, then Gnash might work faster on OS4 due to HW accelerated Cairo.

I'm still hoping that the Gnash development team will solve the issues, but LightSpark looks interesting. When we have the dependencies working I'd be okay with the Gnash bounty being modified to a LightSpark port. It's flash support that we want, not Gnash specifically.

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
@ChrisH

According to this post on the LLVM mailing list LightSpark uses LLVM's JIT as well as OpenGL. If the next version of the OS 4 SDK supports LLVM it might be possible to port to OS 4.

What would be required to get LLVM's JIT running on OS 4?

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ChrisH

I just had a quick look at the Lightspark code, and it's only 1.42 MiB (at the moment). It looks quite clean, but does suffer from the lack of comments/documentation that is typical of so many open-source projects.

I personally find that it is better to spend a little extra time documenting your code as you write it, then writing the code and telling yourself that "I'll get round to documentation later." Sure, if you rewrite something then you have to rewrite any associated documentation too, but it's hard to document (or use) code that you wrote so long ago that you've forgotten exactly how it works. This happens very easily on big projects.

Hans

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:

What would be required to get LLVM's JIT running on OS 4?

Since the Apple people have already written a PowerPC backend for LLVM it shouldn't be too hard. There are some rough instructions about writing an LLVM backend so the work of writing an LLVM backend will mostly be related to porting the system class to do all of the things the Mac and Linux do.

The JIT part of it will have to be able to write to main memory with the executable bit set in AmigaOS so the memory allocation parts may need some tweaking. Keep in mind, though, that the LLVM JIT already runs on PPC Macs so it shouldn't need a whole lot of work.

The most blatant problem in getting the backend to work is that the TableGen utility only has some fundamental documentation so finding out the rest of the functionality of the utility may be difficult. I've found a searchable web frontend to the LLVM Developers' mailing list to be quite helpful.

I hope this helps!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

I've been reading a little about LLVM and would like to know if I had undertand correctly.

With LLVM a developer, instead of releasing an executable, can release an intermediate code (or form or object) so the users can download it, and provided they have LLVM installed, the first time they "run" the program LLVM will finish compilation, providing the best executable for the machine type (combination of GFX and CPU for example). So the final executable would be different depending of your setup. Is that correct?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@emeck
While what you state might be possible, I thought the general idea was simply to provide unified exectuable code generation (for both compilers & JIT). Rather than generating 68k or x86 or PPC assembler, you generate LLVM assembler, and it then does the job of creating an executable your CPU can understand.

I think one problem with your suggestion is that the LLVM "intermediate code" might be CPU independant, but it won't be OS independant!

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
I think one problem with your suggestion is that the LLVM "intermediate code" might be CPU independant, but it won't be OS independant!

Ah, I see. That would be a problem. But in our case, gnash or lightspark (trying to stay on topic ) developer would be aiming at AOS4/PPC so that wouldn't be a problem. And that way, the best executable could be created for A1(G3/G4), SAM(440/460) and X1000.

Just like the old days!

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Actually gnash is improving the speedup part but since it use VA-API to accelerate the playback, it is unusable on os4. so the only way to accelerate it is using a Cairo hw accelerated backend.

i'm really tired...
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@afxgroup

Ok Andrea but how about the network's problem ?
I mean, for what I can see (I've try a lot of local files) the main issue (bug ?) of the actual Gnash implementation remaining the internet streaming.

Local files works (also good games!) at quite decent speed also on my slow Sam but for any other using (like streming in YouTube) is an hell, so do you think that the future Cairo acceleration can help also in this area ?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:

ChrisH wrote:
@emeck
While what you state might be possible, I thought the general idea was simply to provide unified exectuable code generation (for both compilers & JIT). Rather than generating 68k or x86 or PPC assembler, you generate LLVM assembler, and it then does the job of creating an executable your CPU can understand.

It all depends on which programming language you use to generate your IR code. Mattathias will be an install-script away from installing on any LLVM-supported OS but we'll have to write the installer scripts in a system-specific way. C++, on the other hand, compiles system-specific macros in its preprocessor headers making it difficult to write truly cross-platform IR code. Flash and Java players built on LLVM will be cross platform assuming that the player itself was written cross platform.

Lightspark seems to be written for Linux but if we can port it to AmigaOS then that would be great!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:

Lightspark seems to be written for Linux but if we can port it to AmigaOS then that would be great!

The code has Visual studio project files, so I'd say that it's multi-platform. I do hope that he changes it to a slightly more permissive license than GPLv3 though.

Hans

Go to top

Register To Post