Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

balaton, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OS4.1 Update 2 problems & solutions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
"Update 1" and "Update 2" headings

There are two places where the system says "Update 1" and we want to change it to "Update 2":

1) The Workbench title. I believe that the Workbench prefs title string is only patched to say "Update 2" if it was unchanged from the original file, otherwise you'll have to change it yourself in Workbench prefs.

2) The heading in Kicklayout. Again, if the Kicklayout file is unchanged, the "Update 1" label will be changed to "Update 2", otherwise you'll have to change it yourself with Notepad or some other editor.

Note that when booting, SLB looks for the label in the Kicklayout file, named in the u-Boot variable "boot_config". If "boot_config" still says "Update 1", SLB will default to loading the first configuration in the kicklayout, which is probably "Update 2".

So, you'll still see "Update 1" on the boot screen and wonder why, even though the Kicklayout file has been changed to read "Update 2". To complete the update nicely, change "boot_config" to say "Update 2" (that can't be done easily by the installer script). You can use the command "nvsetvar boot_config xxxx".

cheers
tony
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sundown

All righty

Thank you

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Diskimage device still shows up in Media Toolbox, thought it was an easy fix, maybe forgotten? Was my understanding, that device was left off the imbedded skip list.

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Anonymous
@sundown

imbedded? do you mean embedded?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@tonyw
Quote:
2) The heading in Kicklayout. Again, if the Kicklayout file is unchanged, the "Update 1" label will be changed to "Update 2", otherwise you'll have to change it yourself with Notepad or some other editor.

Does the installer make any other changes if you had an unchanged Kicklayout? Mine has several unused items commented out and I'm wondering if I am missing any Update2 changes as a result.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It looks like the textclip documentation was left out again. Fortunately I still have the docs from a previous release but it's a shame to get new features in OS4 that nobody will use becuse the docs are missing.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@xenic

The kicklayout file hasn't changed in update 2, apart from the reference to "Update 1", so if it is not updated, the only changes are informational.

There have been no functional changes to textclip-handler, so updated docs are not necessary.

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@DaveP

Yah, embedded, I was told by a beta tester that Media Toolbox has a built-in list of devices to ignore & the diskimage device was not included in the update 1-2 build. This wasn't a problem with os4.1. You only see the problem if you install Diskimage_device, doesn't hurt, but shouldn't be there.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
"Again, if the Kicklayout file is unchanged, the "Update 1" label will be changed to "Update 2", otherwise you'll have to change it yourself with Notepad or some other editor."

I don't remember changing my kicklayout, but I check the installation script.
Error was that the script check "AmigaOS_4.1_update_1" rather than "AmigaOS 4.1 update 1".

(ie : "_" rather than " " (space)).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@sundown

Quote:

Yah, embedded, I was told by a beta tester that Media Toolbox has a built-in list of devices to ignore & the diskimage device was not included in the update 1-2 build. This wasn't a problem with os4.1. You only see the problem if you install Diskimage_device, doesn't hurt, but shouldn't be there.

Why shouldn't it "be there" and why is it "a problem"?? What if someone wants to create an RDB hardfile with diskimage.device? What program would you suggest him to do this with if not Media Toolbox?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@salass00

Your Diskimage device didn't show in Media Toobox with os4.1, it just magically showed up with update 1. Me & others thought this was a bug in Media Toobox, so I stand corrected, thanks.

Edit: Just looked at the icon tooltypes I realized I had set it to DEVICE=a1ide.device in os4.1. This was the reason I never saw the diskimage device option until os4.1 update 1. Getting old I guess...

Edited by sundown on 2010/5/4 5:27:31

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@tonyw

Thanks for the info regarding labels. I've changed them accordingly just not to confuse others when I show them my system. Anyway I think this should be changed by the update itself. I know this is just a detail but still...

Anyway it's great to have another update so soon :)

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Dirk-B

I had issues with my screen going blank when moving windows, requesters opening etc and I still do if I'm using the DVI port.

It's been reported here:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... _id=30503&forum=14#539933

The issue remains with update 2 even though it isn't as bad as in update 1 but bad enough to be unusable. I've tried the automatic settings as well setting them in the tooltype of the monitor file but it doesn't work.

Hoping for a solution for the next update.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@hotrod his message,

Ahum, can anybody give a comment, i have no knowledge of this.

A1G3-SE + OS4.1 u1 iso (x2)
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Rigo
Update1 moved the handlers to their own directory in SYS:Documentation and the con-handler documatation was placed in SYS:Documentation/Kickstart. The textclip-handler.doc file was in the the old SDK. Most of the handler docs were removed from the latest SDK autodocs because they appear in the OS4 user documentation. The textclip-handler.doc file was removed but does not appear in the OS4 user documentation.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)