Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Headlines

Register To PostTopic is Locked  

The AmigaOS 4-5 Roadmap (i had almost forgotten..)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Just came to remember that Hyperion Entertainment spoke of the AmigaOS4 Roadmap, and now we know that Hyperion Entertainment is to bring AmigaOS 5 along when it's ready...

Too many times i was worried about the lack of support of
other CPU platforms than PPC, no matter how excellent and modern PPC has become and no matter how good its' future might be, in AmigaOS. Then i simply forgot the roadmap...

AmigaOne X1000 and a new SAM460 are on the way.
The new X1000 will bring along a lot of new features
that have never seen the days in AmigaOS. Features
like PCI-e, USB2, special Xena-support, DDR2 (later DDR3, i assume), HD-support, Java is coming, Multiprocessing features (SMP), new graphic subsystem, better 3D-technology and other important changes to AmigaOS...

X1000 will firstly be introduced with a special version of AmigaOS 4.1 for it. An initial version, while we know that
AmigaOS 4.2 will bring many more features and possible
a more change to the Workbench environment...

I guess that after AmigaOS 4.2, there will be a 4.5 with almost everything AmigaOS is missing, and a brand new
look and a new better way of doing things. Visually,
i guess it's AmigaOS 4.5 that will make AmigaOS totally
modern in the way it works...

Then finally, there is AmigaOS 5. I can only imagine it's from AmigaOS 5 that everything of missing important parts will at last be made into AmigaOS 5, a fully 64-bit SMP operativ system, which should be able to run on several CPU platforms other than PPC. Perhaps this one will be able to run on x86, too?

That's why it's so pointless of talking about an x86 AmigaOS at this stage. AmigaOS 4 have to be fully completed and made into what we want AmigaOS 5 to be..

I think that explains a lot.

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Re: The AmigaOS 4-5 Roadmap (i had almost forgotten..)
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Helgis

Sounds like you're quite sure of this, could you provide a link or a quote from a key person to this hyperion roadmap where you read these things?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Hondo Quote:
Sounds like you're quite sure of this

He's "sure" of a lot of things

I believe he is wrong though. Hyperion have specifically NOT released any roadmap, and they were quite upset when I compiled their hints about OS4.1 Update 1 (and later) into a rough "roadmap".

OS4 is *not* going 64-bit, not least because such an OS would not run on Sam440 nor Sam460 nor AmigaOnes (excluding the X1000).

In fact, I think he's fantasising about most of the things he said. They *may* be planned, but we do NOT know for certain.

@Helgis
I see you didn't take my suggestion of making shorter/smaller posts...

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH and all

Hyperion DID provide some information about their roadmap. This was seen in a topic in AW.net not many months ago...

It's possible to google this information also...

Unfortunately to you, i am mostly right here,
but everything is subject to changes depending
what Hyperion and their team will manage to
do the following months...

It's also important that there is no reason to not believe that much of the roadmap will be similar to what Amiga Inc actually planned when they were in charge of the rights for AmigaOS. The biggest difference will now be Hyperion Entertainment to do all the work on AmigaOS and its' future versions...

Update: If you google for information about AmigaOS 4.2,
then you will find many interesting things..

This is the link:

The Future Of AmigaOS - The Roadmap

When it comes to the Amiga, i DO know what i am talking about. I have watched the Amiga scene, supported it and used it since 1987...and i will remain there until i die..

Soon to own a powerful AmigaOne X1000 with latest AmigaOS 4.1 incarnation ;) Dual Core PPC!

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hondo

The information about the roadmap is hinted in the link called: The Future Of AmigaOS - The Roadmap..

I wouldn't mentioned this if i wasn't sure, but i am..

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

I understand you say you want my posts to be shorter, but they all depend on what the topic is and what to say. It depends on a lot of things...

Mostly when talking about Amiga, i usually have a lot to say, because it's the way i am. I believe in it and i love
the platform and i am extremely confident that when
such a system once changed the way of computing,
it can simply do it again. It's not a question about IF,
but WHEN...

AmigaOS 4 is not supposed to be a 64-bit SMP OS.
AmigaOS 5 is supposed to be that. That is the plan,
and Hyperion will do that job, but firstly there are
several parts that have to make into the AmigaOS4
line and when AmigaOS 4 has everything needed,
then the time has come to take another step - AmigaOS 5.

So there will be an AmigaOS 5 in the future, probably
about 2 years or more, that might be able to run on
several 64-bit CPU platforms other than just PPC..

That is the plan, but how and when it will happen, is
still uncertain, of course..

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helgis

Well for a start you got one thing wrong. There will not be a port of os4 to x86 period.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
@Helgis

Sounds like you're quite sure of this, could you provide a link or a quote from a key person to this hyperion roadmap where you read these things?

Here's the link he must be referring to at osnews from October 2009:
http://www.osnews.com/story/22391/The_Future_of_AmigaOS4_a_Roadmap

which points back to
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... t=0&viewmode=flat&order=0

There's a couple things about 4.2 mentioned, but they have disclaimers as well. What Helgis says of 4.5 and 5 I don't even see there at all. Not sure where he got that, unless it's still the ancient roadmap that talked about porting AmigaDE onto 4.5 and merging them in 5, Hyperion would do PPC and Amithlon would be x86 path, which has nothing to do with reality in this universe for a very very very long time.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Helgis

Hi Helgis
Please listen to ChrisH when he says there's no (official) roadmap. True somethings have been hinted about the future but not all the stuff you are guessing at. Some of the stuff may be logical advances but we don't know what Hyperions plans are

The link you provided to the OSnews article is all very nice BUT that article is based on the "rough roadmap" made by...... ChrisH.

Bounty site for AmigaOS4! www.amigabounty.net
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helgis
The news item you linked to was based upon an EARLY VERSION of an AW.net post that *I* made (and hinted about in my earlier post). Based upon feedback from some on the OS4 team, I made some corrections which may not be reflected in that news item.

I was of course aware of what I posted, and I still don't see how it reflects what you wrote in your first post. More specifically:

* "HD-support", not sure what you mean by this, but OS4 already outputs at "HD" resolutions...

* "Java is coming" yes, but you wrote it is coming with X1000, and this seems unlikely. Bear in mind they hadn't even started work on it when I wrote the post 6 months ago (and Java is a *major* undertaking, it's lamost an OS in it's own right).

* "better 3D-technology", no idea where you got this from, I never even mentioned it. It's on their "to do" list, but probably quite far down, and certainly NOT coming with the X1000 or any time soon I think.

* "AmigaOS 4.2 will bring ... possible a more change to the Workbench environment", was NOT mentioned in that post. It IS on their "to do" list, but I have not heard any hints it is coming any time soon.

* "I guess that ... there will be a 4.5 with almost everything AmigaOS is missing, and a brand new look and a new better way of doing things. Visually, i guess it's AmigaOS 4.5 that will make AmigaOS totally modern in the way it works...". Not a clue where you got this from either, I think you must have basically made it up (as perhaps hinted at by your "I guess"). I'm sure they'd like to, but it is misleading to pin it to any specific OS release, or even say it is planned.

* "I can only imagine it's from AmigaOS 5 that everything of missing important parts will at last be made into AmigaOS 5, a fully 64-bit SMP operativ system, which should be able to run on several CPU platforms other than PPC. Perhaps this one will be able to run on x86, too?". This one definitely is "imagine", because Hyperion have never mentioned anything like this, and I certainly didn't even mention OS5 in my post.

Please don't take this personally! But you really need to be careful about what you claim Hyperion has promised for AmigaOS, as there could be a LOT of really disappointed people when all these magical things don't appear. In the case of your "I guess" and "I can only imagine", you REALLY need to be a bit clearer that these are entirely you hopes/wishes.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@magic Quote:
Well for a start you got one thing wrong. There will not be a port of os4 to x86 period.

This is not strictly correct: They have said they'd be happy to port OS4 to x86 given sufficent funding from a client. At my guess, it would be a few months work. BUT there is a big "but" in this.... it would lack any kind of backwards-compatibility, so all existing 68k & PPC programs would NOT work, which would make it fairly useless for us.

I suspect Hyperion would like to port OS4 to x86 when they have enough money to implement some kind of backwards-compatibility. They aren't stupid, x86 would mean cheaper machines, and so potentially more sales. Apple is able to limit OS X to their own x86 hardware, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for Hyperion too (hence no need to worry about writing drivers for every PC model ever made).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Helgis Quote:
When it comes to the Amiga, i DO know what i am talking about.

You may read everything mentioned about AmigaOS, but I'm not sure you remember the limitations (like "I think" or "maybe" or "hope" or "plan") that applied to what is said.

Quote:
I wouldn't mentioned this if i wasn't sure, but i am..

Then you need to seriously take a good look at what you think you know, because you've got an overly exaggerated certainty (or at least write as if you have).

Quote:
I have watched the Amiga scene, supported it and used it since 1987...

And so have many people here (I probably got into the Amiga around then, or maybe a little later).

Again, please don't take this personally. Enthusiasm is good, optimism is good. But when you start stating possibilities as certainties, and hopes as fact, then you are running into real trouble. Better to admit it now, and be a little embarrased, then have to face the fact a lot later (when things fail to materialise), thus making a much bigger fool of yourself (at which point it is a lot harder to admit your mistakes).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@magic

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. I NEVER said AmigaOS4 was intent to be ported to x86...

I said that AmigaOS5 is likely to be run on several CPU platforms than just PPC...

Big difference there, my friend...

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

I understand what you say, but still the link that provided the information of the roadmap is proof enough to get a picture of where the Amiga is heading for the future...

Remember one thing, and that goes for all of you.
The very last thing the Amiga community needs,
is pessimism. Hope, belief and optimism mixed
with a balanced realism is what the Amiga needs..

Again, read the link carefully, and you will understand why i am very certain...

Besides, Hyperion want to overcome documentated limitations in AmigaOS and its' 3D-capabilities.

If you google AmigaOS4, you will know i am right there..

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

About the possibility of x86, we both agree this is a thing that might be possible when AmigaOS 5 is ready. It won't happen in any version of AmigaOS 4 for sure. AmigaOS 4
has to get the missing parts it needs and a changeover
in the way it looks...

When there is an AmigaOS 5, we will know what other CPU platforms will be supported, alongside PPC. Who knows? Perhaps even PPC will be popular again for the desktop market, as the best alternative CPU platform of choice?

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

I know what the roadmap said, but it's important to read between the lines. The roadmap is clear enough, and it's not foolish to believe much will happen the way the roadmap was set up...

PS: It's hard to not take anything related to Amiga personally, as this is what i live for. Because my love
for it is so strong, and this love will die with me as well..

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Troels

I understand the importance of being steady on what to believe, but i am open minded so i keep both information quite vary...

- Helgis
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@billt

That was what was originally said, but much of the idea might be the same, with only the difference that Hyperion will do the job, and not Amiga Inc..

- Helgis
Go to top

Register To PostTopic is Locked