Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

PlayCDDA as part of the OS?
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Now that Fredrik Wikstrom's PlayCDDA has a proper ReAction GUI, what about making it an OpenAmiga project and submitting it for use as an official part of the OS? To replace the ancient PlayCD, which is pretty much useless with today's optical drives.

Go to top
Re: PlayCDDA as part of the OS?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

That right, but imho, today PlayCDDA itself are useless to have as standalone programm. Imho, that function (playCDDA) must be already in the any music player (like Tunenet).

Because for what we need these tons of little programms, which make no big deal today, while better have one music programm with many functions.

Or for example the same goes for "prefs". We have many prefs, which we can just call "workbench prefs", and put here : wbprefs, wbpattern, gui and alt.

The same imho for PlayCDDA, it can be as part of Tunenet.. But that is imho only of course :)

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@trixie

Is a good idea

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kas1e
I'd like to see digital *emulation* of of analogue CD playback. i.e. A game like Payback/Quake1/TSotTM/Wipe2097 sends (old style) analogue CD playback commands to the CD device, and those would get converted to commands to play the tracks through AHI.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

imho, today PlayCDDA itself are useless to have as standalone programm. Imho, that function (playCDDA) must be already in the any music player (like Tunenet).

Because for what we need these tons of little programms, which make no big deal today, while better have one music programm with many functions.

The same imho for PlayCDDA, it can be as part of Tunenet.. But that is imho only of course :)

I agree with you. But unless TuneNet becomes an integral part of the OS (which may never happen), it's better to have at least something that allows the user to play audio CDs.

Amiga was a computer that defined the word "multimedia". I think it looks quite strange that the current version of the OS does not allow something as trivial as playing CDs out of the box, ie. without installing a third-party app.

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

Quote:
I'd like to see digital *emulation* of of analogue CD playback. i.e. A game like Payback/Quake1/TSotTM/Wipe2097 sends (old style) analogue CD playback commands to the CD device, and those would get converted to commands to play the tracks through AHI.

I've been considering writing something like this for some time actually. If I would do it I'd do it in two parts: one which is a audio server which takes commands and does the actual playback (there would be one server for each CD/DVD drive of course) and the other part which is a patch to the device driver's BeginIO function that reroutes any CDDA playback related SCSI commands for itself but sends all the other commands on to the device as usual.

Go to top

Register To Post