Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: OWB improvement ideas
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I don't know if we've done it before, but maybe if we ask Joerg for some extra functionality and he agreed for a price, we might be able to open a bounty? I suppose, main things are:

- Download manager
- HTML5 video
- Some way for OWB to accept a flash plugin as, I think, there's a problem with it right now?

anything else?

What do you think? After all, Joerg has kindly made and improved OWB so far for no money, so, maybe, getting him some cash for the extra functionality we need, will be a good motivation.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vulture

Mmm and how about setup a bounty for the MUI version instead ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

Is it worth it? I mean, sure MUI has some cool features et all, but - at the end of the day - is that what we really miss from OS4 OWB? I'm not against it, I just don't think it's overly important compared to needed browser functionality features. Maybe asking for a MUI version is overcomplicated too as that would negate much of the work already done for OS4 OWB. I'm not an expert programmer, but I think that we either ask for extra OWB functionality or we ask FAB for MOS OWB sources and try to port it over to OS4+MUI 3.9, which seems quite a longer route to walk. I could be wrong though.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vulture

Quote:
Is it worth it? I mean, sure MUI has some cool features et all, but - at the end of the day - is that what we really miss from OS4 OWB?

Well a lot of things I would say: a password/cookie manager, a download manager with a lot of options, fast links, content blocking, session support, Plugin support, Configurable menus, HTML video support, window modes for popups and so so on ...

Quote:
or we ask FAB for MOS OWB sources

Source is already availible at: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/src/

Also porting a MUI version doesn't mean that we must "trash" the Joerg's release, we can always continue to use/update both release, where is the problem ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

no problem at all, I just thought that this way we'd be duplicating efforts and maybe it'd be easier/faster to improve what we already have, but I'm not against your idea either. So, what do you ppl think should we start a bounty for either porting Fab's OWB or Improving Joerg's? Eiher one's fine by me.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I didn't see that as a duplicate efforts cause right now they are very different as a program, only the WebKit core are in common, but what we can say if (for example) someone port Google Chrome on OS4 ?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

we can say thanks :)

Seriously, I really have no objection against your idea, I just thought it'd be easier to improve what we had. Hopefully we won't need to bother with any of these if Timberwolf comes out and has all the proper features. So, we may set a bounty to port Fab's OWB, no problem.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@samo79

Quote:
Source is already availible at: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/src/

Quote:
08-Aug-2009

Too old.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
i think too that a MUI version of OWB would be better.. in this way MOS version and OS4 version could go on together ( even if some parts have to be adapted for MUI 3.9)..

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Vulture

Quote:
we can say thanks :)

LOL

@TSK

True, that source is a bit old, but Fab have the latest, just ask ...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

IMHO...
The better thing to do was a cooperation between MOS/ASO/MOS programmers to do a single OWB version for all...
Was the easyest bettter simpler way to have a good and well supported program...
But here cooperation was a "bad" word unfortunately... :(
And...speakinghere of that was pointless since that forum was read almost only from OS4 users...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Tuxedo

Agree but now it's too late to do so, OWB on OS4 use ReAction, on MorphOS they are using MUI so it's pointless too ...

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@samo79

Well...
I mean something like someone made something...

GUI - one guy
core - one guy
etc

Simply that... doing things togheter was really faster and better...

Simone"Tuxedo"Monsignori, Perugia, ITALY.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hitman

With Timberwolf on the horizon, I'm not too concerned if OWB on OS4 doesnt manage to get the download manager and Flash features we all want.. not because I dont like OWB (I do, I use it every day), but because we'll have another option that will give us our needed features.

Ideally OWB would get these features, Timberwolf will be finished, and we'll have choices. Choice is very good.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@RacerX

Quote:

RacerX wrote:
Could Ringhio be used to notify a user when a file is finished downloading? A box could pop-up saying "File 'foo.lha' has been downloaded"

If possible would it be hard to do?

That should be very easy to add, once a download manager exists.

Hans

I meant, would it be something easy to add while we're waiting for a download manager.

'non fixed' A1XE, USB card, Sil 0680 IDE, 512mb RAM, Radeon 9250, OS4.1 Update 5
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

Yeah I have the same story about OWB like Jahc!!

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
one sure thing is that firefox now borrows stuff from webkit

firefox news

A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.2.2 | A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.2.2/4.0
Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.FE | PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.FE/MorphOS 3.17
MacMini1.5 MorphOS 3.17