Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

Georg, VooDoo, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Problems with MiniGL and Radeon 9200 SE on SAM440
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello dear Amiga users,

With the help from some guys in the forum I have now AmigaOS4.1 U1 smoothly running Feels great !!!

There's only one thing left to fix:
All games or demos that have to use miniGL completely freeze the system - there's no GrimReaper.

With the pevious AmigaOS 4.1 and miniGL 2.1 there were no problems.
With U1 comes miniGL 2.2.
I recently installed a ATI 9200 (128MB RAM) into thePCI Slot - I have a SAM400 and UBOOT 1.3.1a.
The card works perfectly in 2D mode but when I want to use miniGL 2.2 the error as discribed above occurs.

What do you think: could the ATI 9200 card cause the problem or is it just miniGL 2.2 related?

I 'm really looking foreward to try Blender on my Amiga

Oh one point I forgot:
If I try to change the Screen blanker settings in WB Prefs the systems freezes also. the first entry in the blanker list is Amiga Boing Ball.
I suppose this is a GL blanker (??)

Thanx al lot for your time!

Andi

Edited by fastbit66 on 2010/1/19 11:23:03
Go to top
Re: AmigaOS4.1 U1 - problems with miniGL 2.2
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@fastbit66

look into devs/monitors/Radeon tooltype if you have the corrects video mode enabled for your monitor, i have these for my LG 22" fullHD:

CMPLENGTH=11
BOARDTYPE=Radeon 7000
(DDCMODE=ALL)
VSYNCMIN=56
VSYNCMAX=75
HSYNCMIN=30000
HSYNCMAX=83000
MODE=640x480@60
MODE=800x600@60
MODE=1024x768@60
MODE=1280x720@60
MODE=1280x800@60
MODE=1280x960@60
MODE=1280x1024@60
MODE=1440x900@60
MODE=1600x900@60
MODE=1600x1200@60
MODE=1680x1050@60
MODE=1920x1080@60
(FAKENATIVEMODES=Yes)
INTERRUPT=Yes

Ciao

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Ah - thanx a lot - I will check that.

Andi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sofistisoftware

Hi,

I added some modes for the monitor in the tooltype for Radeon.

Unfortunately no succes

Any other idea?

Thanx a lot

Andi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@fastbit66

Strange, here on my SAM flex 800, no problem :
giddy 3 run better and there is no problem with Blender.

So I think, it's not a miniGL problem : search elsewhere...

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@fastbit66

I've got a SAM440 mini-itx with 512Mb with a second graphic card (9250 with 128Mb).
I've set UBoot (updated to 1.3.1a) to boot from PCI graphic card and before the upgrade 1 the two cards were working almost ok with the ACube dual graphic driver "PCI" into "devs:monitors/".
Problems usually came from the fact that some app just used the soldered ATI chip, no possible manual action to change which card to use.

The OS4.1 update 1 gladly boot straight from the PCI card and the only device installed into DEVS:Monitors is "Radeon 9250", no mention of the soldered ATI chip, like it doesn't exists.
As I've got a 1680x1050 monitor I just want to forget the internal graphic card (installed graphic memory too small) and use the good PCI card which lets me use 32bit color resolution without problems.
The problem is that everything that uses MiniGL or SDL apps in full screen just doesn't work: the system freeze and also the mouse and keyboard stop working.
Trying to solve the problem I've installed the dual graphic card driver from ACube but that just doesn't work anymore, no chance to see anything from the internal graphic card: the system boots and an alert window before the workbench appear complainig about the "PCI" driver installed in "devs:monitors".

The final solution I've adopted is therefore to uninstall the PCI Radeon 9250, install again the update 1 iso and go back using the soldered ATI chip using 16bit color depth resolution.
That let me use any software with minigl and sdl (but I hate those 16bit color glitches.

A part from those problems, I must say that this update 1 is what I was waiting for, just the best AmigaOS ever used so far.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@fastbit66
Check that your monitor tooltype says INTERRUPT= not INTERRUPTS= . As a bug in the monitor prefs program means it uses the wrong tooltype.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@virgola

Oh that sounds bad for me
The main reason to buy the ATI 9200 PCI card was because my solderd GFX has given up it's ghost.
I can only see a lot of flickering either from DVI oer VGA output. So I cannot fallback to that solution.

In 2D the 9200 runs perfectly in 32 Bit Mode.
Loooks like I can not use any miniGL App

What should be the next steps?
Report the prob to Hyperion or Hans who is working on miniGL?

AND YES - Amiga OS 4.1 U1 is great !!!! (tu)

Thanx in advance!
Andi

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@fastbit66

I have a 9200 aswell and haven't had any problems whatsoever

The fact that it's locking up whenever you try to use the 3D hardware implies that the 3D part of your gfx hardware died.

I had the same behaviour on the classic when my PPC chip bit the dust, everything else ran fine, but as soon as i wanted to start PPC apps it blew.

You might need to test another card

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@virgola

Quote:

virgola wrote:
The OS4.1 update 1 gladly boot straight from the PCI card and the only device installed into DEVS:Monitors is "Radeon 9250", no mention of the soldered ATI chip, like it doesn't exists.
As I've got a 1680x1050 monitor I just want to forget the internal graphic card (installed graphic memory too small) and use the good PCI card which lets me use 32bit color resolution without problems.
The problem is that everything that uses MiniGL or SDL apps in full screen just doesn't work: the system freeze and also the mouse and keyboard stop working.
Trying to solve the problem I've installed the dual graphic card driver from ACube but that just doesn't work anymore, no chance to see anything from the internal graphic card: the system boots and an alert window before the workbench appear complainig about the "PCI" driver installed in "devs:monitors".

Are you sure that the system freezes? Maybe it switches to using the other graphics card. When you switch between graphics cards, the one that was previously being used simply shows whatever was rendered to screen before the switch. That looks a lot like a freeze.

If you're not using the on-board graphics card, then it would probably be best for you to disable all of its screen-modes, so that no program attempts to use that card for any reason whatsoever.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans, Chris H and Raziel:

Thanx a lot for your suggestions - I will try them all when I'm back at home from work

But I don't belive that ATI 9200 is dead for 3D - I bought it brand new.

Will see - I can test the card under Linux or Windows.

Later...

Andi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

What system do you have?

Andi

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ChrisH

The monitor tooltype is correctly set to "INTERRUPT="

@Raziel

The ATI 9250 card 3D part of the chip is fine, I've checked it using an old windows computer.

@Hans
I've checked both the graphic card monitor: on the 9250 the system has a white screen with the mouse pointer freezed and the internal graphic chip doesn't output anything.

Any other suggestion?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@virgola

Quote:

virgola wrote:
@Hans
I've checked both the graphic card monitor: on the 9250 the system has a white screen with the mouse pointer freezed and the internal graphic chip doesn't output anything.

Any other suggestion?

Do you have something like ASynergy running? I've found that when I switch screens from one card to another with ASynergy running, it locks up. I don't think that it's a full freeze, rather it freezes the graphics system. There may be other programs that also interfere with such switching.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Hans no luck so far.

In devs/montitors I only have an entry for the ATI 9200 SE card. Sam's soldered chip doesn't appear here at all.
And I dont't have the dual graphic cards setup from Acube-systems since with UBOOT 1.3.1a the 9200 runs without that.
For testing I installed miniGL 2.1 since that runs perfectly in context with the on-Borad chip.
Same behaviour - system stops working - the sound goes like "ratatatatatat" .

In the 9200 tooltype the last entry is INTERRUPT=yes
That seems to be correct.

Tomorrow I plug the card into a Linux machine to test if 3D is possible at all.

Andi

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@fastbit66
If the problem sussist on MiniGl 2.1 too then the thread title should be changed as the problem clearly originates from somewhere else.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@DAX
Yes - I agree with you.

I will change the title to "MiniGL problems on Sam440 with ATI 9200 GFX card"

Thanx for the hint !

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ALL

I think Dax is right - it seems not to be only a problrm with MiniGL 2.2.

So I changed the thread title accordingly to "Problems with MiniGL and Radeon 9200 SE on SAM440"

Has anyone the same hardware system confiuration
and MiniGL working?

Go to top

Register To Post