Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 126

samo79, VooDoo, beworld, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Strange KB/Mouse Lock Up
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
I'm using AOS4 prerelease 4, PS/2 mouse and keyboard:

Okay, I've had AOS4 pr 4 run for 29 to 33 days or so, and then the mouse and keyboard are no longer capable of input.

The OS didn't crash, just no more input is accepted so you can't do anything.

What I did early this moring is recreate the same lock-up, except it happened in about 3 to 8 hours (unknown amount of time).

I started the screen saver, except, instead of "use"ing it, or saving it I did "test full screen", and about 10 hours later I came back and moved the mouse. It wouldn't come out of the demo. The keyboard didn't do anything either. Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga didn't work either. Again, I don't think it was accepting ANY input from either the mouse of keyboard. Is some variable overflowing and causing a lockup? Because, I think that AOS could have run much longer than the ~30 days I had it running.

BTW, in "test" mode, the screen saver won't start after a given amount of seconds. Unless I altered the wrong field, that is.

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: Strange KB/Mouse Lock Up
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist
I also have had this problem with my setup since I built it. I have attributed it to various sources but cannot identify which is the definite cause since as you say nothing is accessible without a hard reset.
my suspiicions are with the screen saver and Ibrowse, OWB, and the USB port.
Unfortunately it is such an intermittent occurence, sometimes daily, sometimes no lockup for a month, that I have learned to live with it as opposed to fixing it. I don't have the time or the knowhow anyway.

A1XEG4 PPC 7457 1.3GHz
A-Eon X5000
CDTV!!
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist
Quote:

I'm using AOS4 prerelease 4

Why are you still use a OS4.0 betaversion and not Final + July update?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

You know, most people in here have their systems updated to the latest version. What sort of help are you expecting, running that ancient setup?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist
Curious that you are experiencing the same symptoms on OS4.0 (on an AmigaOne) with PS/2 keyboard/mouse, that some OS4.1 users experience on Sam440 with USB keyboard/mouse. I wonder if it is related at all? (I assume not.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Quote:
I also have had this problem with my setup since I built it. I have attributed it to various sources but cannot identify which is the definite cause since as you say nothing is accessible without a hard reset.
my suspiicions are with the screen saver and Ibrowse, OWB, and the USB port.

Hi Swisso,

AmigaOne XE G4, 800 MHz, 2 Gigs ram.

Compact Flash card reader (not mutli-card reader) plugged into USB port with no card in it, and USBStart wasn't run.

I had 2 hells and probably notepad running.

I was using AWeb 3.5.08 beta (Apr. 5, 2006).

Wild guess, some variable overflows into a negative number, or uses an extra byte in ram when it isn't supposed to, or maybe too many variables are opened as "input values" from mouse/keyboard polling and old ones not being released? Maybe becaue there isn't a check done on old values, so they aren't eliminated, then too many are collected?

Hi ZeroG and trixie,

I'm a bad Amigan.... Seriously though, money woes. There's a financial dark cloud hanging over me, and it's for a very long time, as well.

I will, as soon as I can get AOS4.1 do so, and bring it up here as well.

Hi ChrisH,

Very interesting. I'm surprised by that. It's quite important to see if it's locateable.

I will try out an experiment to see if I can zero in on about how many hours it takes before it freezes with the screen saver.

Maybe the screen saver makes a massive amount of polls to see if it should quit drawing on the screen.

Here's my record BTW.
System has been up since 15-Jun-08 03:06:43 (total uptime 32 days, 19:15:54)

Quite certain that that time, mouse/KB froze and I saw clock program, and maybe dnetc as well still running.

Hmmmm, if I remember correctly, one time I waited for the dnetc to finish OGR packet checks and do an internet send/receive new ones, and it didn't. It was long ago and I can't remember exactly what happened when it finished the last packet, so probably not useful info.

BTW, AOS4.x coders, nice touch, professional.
System has been up since 07-Nov-05 08:01:08 (total uptime 1 day, 18:34:02)
System has been up since 09-Nov-05 04:19:17 (total uptime 2 days, 11:14:08)

"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

But OS4.0 Final and the July update are free for A1-early birds. You simply need to register at hyperion and can download it. You only have to pay for OS4.1.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Hi ZeroG,

?????

Remember Lemmings?

"Oh Nnnnoooooo!!!"

Heh, didn't know that.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Atheist

Oh, just forget to tell you something:
The 4.0 final update iso is currently not available, i guess that Rogue simply forgot to put it back online after the last server crash at hyperion. You may want to write him an email.

Go to top

Register To Post