Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: SimplePlay facelift
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@jahc

Looks nice!
Thanks for using AISS!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mason

And thank you for making it! It's such a useful resource. Especially when the best thing I can draw myself is tiny square boxes!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jahc Quote:
i had a recursive dir opening function, but it was buggy like a mother fucker, so I disabled it.

Hmmm, recursive dir scanning shouldn't be that hard, but I'd be happy to look at the code if you want... (Although I'll probably go "yuck!" and completely rewrite it;)

FWIW, the way I'd do it would be to have a linked-list of directories to scan (treated as a queue). Read the dir from the head of the list, scan it, do whatever needed with found files, while dirs are added to tail of the list, then finally remove head of list, then loop back if the list isn't empty.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Illusionist
Illusionist

See User information
@jahc

Quote:

jahc wrote:
@Mason

And thank you for making it! It's such a useful resource. Especially when the best thing I can draw myself is tiny square boxes!

In case that means that the image on your homepage is authentic, I have to say: Congratulations! Not everybody has the body to wear a nightie like this!

Martin "Mason" Merz
www.masonicons.de

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe . . .
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

Quote:
Bean, if you're reading this, feel free to implement these ideas too. :) In fact, lets try and use the same ARexx command names and syntax.

Hi,

If I ever get round to adding an ARexx port I'll be sure to try and make it compatible.

Cheers,
Bean.

OS4.1 + an A1XE with an appetite for batteries!
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc+ChrisH
Quote:
i had a recursive dir opening function, but it was buggy like a mother fucker, so I disabled it.

What do you guys mean with "recursive" in this case ? There's a nice example of recursive disk scanning in SDK autodocs if it's for AOS4. If you need it for AOS3 then it's a little bit more complicated.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@TSK

What we mean is if we scan a dir, it should do all sub dirs inside as well..

please point me towards this example!

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jahc
If only you were writing SimplePlay in PortablE (it supports MUI), then I could have just told you to use the portable ResursiveDir() procedure (which makes recursive directory scanning trivial)... Anyway, my offer stands to look at the piece of C code you use for dir scanning.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@jahc

dos.doc, ExamineDir()

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@jahc

Quote:

jahc wrote:
@Lio

Unfortunately not. I didnt write any of the music routines.. I just used an existing library called SDL_Mixer. It was designed for usage in games, which is why SimplePlay is missing a few proper music app features.

allright, no prob, will continue to use either TuneNet or FLAC DT but use simpleplay for mp3, ogg and mod !!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Guys.. do these docs make sense for my arexx port?

Quote:
ARexx Commands

PREVIOUS, PLAY, NEXT, STOP, PAUSE, GETSONGNAME

Also..
SHUFFLE - can be turned on and off with the value 1 or 0

SETVOLUME - set the volume to 'parameter'
e.g. "SETVOLUME 128"

VOLUMEUP - increase the volume by 'parameter'
e.g. "VOLUMEUP 2"

VOLUEMDOWN - decrease the volume by 'parameter'
e.g. "VOLUMEDOWN 2"

Note: Muted volume is 0, and maximum volume is 128.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
http://wookiechat.amigarevolution.com/simpleplay/simpleplay3_7.lha

If this works okay for people then I'll upload it to os4depot.net and update my site.

Changes.....

- AISS is used for a graphical toolbar
- Added a fun little scope.
- The Text Objects (such as the currently playing Song name) are now clipped
if they are too wide for the display. Before it would sometimes clip fine,
but then make the window a lot wider when iconifying then reopening.
- Added an ARexx port, to listen for NEXT, PLAY, PREVIOUS, PAUSE, STOP,
VOLUMEUP, VOLUMEDOWN, SETVOLUME, SHUFFLE. GETSONGNAME. Example scripts are
provided.
- "Previous" function will now take you to the previous song you played,
instead of the previous song in the playlist
- "Next" function will start the playback if playback is currently stopped.
- SimplePlay stops playback when it reaches the end of the playlist now
(unless in shuffle mode).
- Music will now resume if you press play after pressing pause. (previously
it would restart the song)
- Added some rewind/fast forward buttons. The music library I use pretty
much has to rewind the song everytime you want to set the position. The
function is slower at the beginning of the song, and gets slower the more
it has to seek into the file. This only works for MP3 and OGG at the moment.
- Shuffle mode is remembered next time you load SimplePlay
- An ARexx script can be executed when you play a song. Configure this by
selecting "Settings" from the pulldown menu. I have provided a script that
sends text to WookieChat to tell everyone what song you just started.
Remember to enable WookieChat's ARexx by setting the icon tooltype to
arexx=true before starting.
- "Add Directory" works recursively now, thanks to Chris Handley!

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@jahc

The AREXX port is a very nice idea - really needful for all those people with "multimedia" keyboards. Is there any chance that SimplePlay can stream audio from internet? I rarely use Amplifier at the moment for playing tracks from my HD but mostly for internet radio - jumping beetween stations with the >> and << buttons on my keyboard. rocks

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@jahc
I found a "bug". I don't know why there is a "Start_SimplePlay" icon, but it's default tool is "DH0:C/IconX" when it should be just "IconX". (I don't have DH0, etc, and even if I did, it is wrong to assume that Sys: is DH0:)

An opinion: The addition of << and >> buttons makes the SimplePlay window very wide (it was already too wide really). Which means that the shown playlist is mostly empty (wasted) space. I see two solutions:

1. Turn one toolbar into two (one above the other). Say Play, Pause & stop on one line, and the directional buttons on the second line.

2. Allow the playlist to show paths, perhaps AFTER the filename (so if the window isn't wide enough then you aren't missing anything important).

Or you could even do both!

Oh, I also noticed that if the window is not wide enough, the volume slider has no width, so that it can only be set to 0 OR 128. Perhaps this is intentional?

Hmmm, while I am at it, a "Jump to" button would be quite nice. If you went for my "two line toolbar" suggestion, then this could appear under the Repear & Shuffle buttons... IN FACT, why not just put all the buttons under the Volume slider, then the slider will always have some width!

Another suggestion: The "Sort List" button seems to sort by filename only, where-as it might be nice to sort by the path too. Given your internal implementation, doing this would be less efficient, but then again sorting doesn't get done very often.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@ChrisH

Thanks! I've reuploaded the archive with the fixed icon.

Quote:
An opinion: The addition of << and >> buttons makes the SimplePlay window very wide (it was already too wide really). Which means that the shown playlist is mostly empty (wasted) space. I see two solutions:

1. Turn one toolbar into two (one above the other). Say Play, Pause & stop on one line, and the directional buttons on the second line.

2. Allow the playlist to show paths, perhaps AFTER the filename (so if the window isn't wide enough then you aren't missing anything).

Or you could even do both!

Oh, I also noticed that if the window is not wide enough, the volume slider has no width, so that it can only be set to 0 OR 128. Perhaps this is intentional?

Another suggestion: The "Sort List" button seems to sort by filename only, where-as it might be nice to sort by the path too. Given your internal implementation, doing this would be less efficient, but then again sorting doesn't get done very often.

Hmmm, while I am at it, a "Jump to" button would be quite nice. If you went for my "two line toolbar" suggestion, then this could appear under the Repear & Shuffle buttons...

Oh.. interesting suggestions... but I think I just want to bugfix atm.. I've been quite motivated to code lately, but now that all the major things from my to do list are done (for all my various projects), I'm starting to slip back into minor bugfixing mode again.

Btw, you can turn off the text in the toolbar buttons.. I dont know if you've tried that already..

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I've uploaded it to os4depot.net now.

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)