Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Re: Problems with 0.8 beta
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ooops forgot these

Weird undo and redo - try the following

Open any document
Type 1. You get a 1 as expected
Press Ramiga U. It undoes the 1 as expected
Press Ramiga Z. It redoes the 1 as expected but the editor loses focus
Set the focus back to the editor
Type 1234
Press Ramga U. It undoes the 11234 but should have just undone the 4

To reproduce the lockup is dead easy

Reboot your amiga.
Do not run any programs that open the clipboard
Run codebench
Open a new editor
Select any text
Press Ramiga C
Now Press Ramiga V
Voila you've crashed the input handler and need to reboot

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
This ones weird but may be by design

Edit a document and then close it without saving. At the prompt choose 'Close Without Saving'

Now reopen the document. I would have expected my changes to be gone as I choose 'Close Without Saving' but my changes are still there. You can't undo these changes any more so you have to exit CodeBench to get back to the original document.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@madmonkey

Actually, it should undo the 1234 and leave you with the 1. If it undoes all the 11234 in a single operation, that is a bug.

Edit: No, thinking about it, what you describe is correct behaviour. EditPlus does the same, and i implimented undo to work more or less like EditPlus on windows since that is my favourite editor on other platforms.

The Eclipse IDE undoes the 1234 and leaves the 1.

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@madmonkey

That is a bug in the clipboard.device. This has been fixed in clipboard.device 53.2 which should be released in a future oS update.

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Slayer

Quote:

The trouble I get in openurl is I can't open the preferences in prefs. It says something about unknown datatype. I tried to find out if openurl needed something but it doesn't appear too.

The icon of openurl prefs has the type project with multiview as default tool, change the icon type to program.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Here are a few minor problems that I found:
- Selecting text starting at the bottom instead of the top won't enable cut/copy/delete for the selected text.
- Using the search replace function doesn't mark a file as modified
- I am using an existing makefile and it tells me that it wants to rebuild it, every time I click build. Clicking yes will result in the makefile being overwritten (already told you about that one, but I didn't realize that it would do that every time).
- For some odd reason, when "SDK:c/make -f" is the setting for the make executable, it won't compile properly, but if it's changed to "make", it does. I probably have multiple versions of make somewhere.

It would be nice if I only got the "are you sure you wish to overwrite?" requester when I'm overwriting a different file; right now it asks this every time I save, which is very frequently

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Rigo wrote:
@madmonkey

That is a bug in the clipboard.device. This has been fixed in clipboard.device 53.2 which should be released in a future oS update.

Simon

That may well be but other apps manage to do it correctly without a freeze. Hint don't open the clipboard.device for the 1st time in the input.device process. It tends to hang the system.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Codebench is good enough that I now use it instead of Cubic IDE. However, there are two features that I miss:
- being able to indent a whole block of text by selecting and pushing TAB (or Ctrl shift -> in Cubic IDE, but I prefer just tab) and the inverse operation with shift-tab.
- Having a display that shows function prototypes as I'm typing (e.g., typing "memset(" shows the memset prototype). Actually, I really like the way that VisualStudio does it, but I know how much effort implementing autocomplete/suggestion/prototype-display features is, so probably not for version 1.0.

EDIT: I should also mention that the Quicklinks window is really useful

Hans

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@madmonkey

Other apps work around the problem, but that doesn't detract from the fact there is a bug that needs fixing.

Anyway, I thought you was sticking with your own IDE? :)

Simon

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Hans

Indenting a block of text is possible now.

Highligh the block, and use the key-combo defined, or use the Indent menu item.

Auto-suggestion is, of course, possible, but as you can see there are a few issues that need to be sorted out properly before I start adding any more features. There are lots of things I want to add, but I need to keep it under control with the bugs etc.

Yes, I find the Quick-Link invaluable, I am thinking about extending it further.

Simon

Edited by Rigo on 2009/2/7 11:57:14
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

You asked for testers and bug reports so yes I had a play, found quite a few bugs and reported them. I've even given you hints on how to fix the problems.

Yes I will be sticking with my own IDE because CodeBench doesn't offer me anything. I really hoped it would but sadly it doesn't.

If you really want a good editor, you know where to find one ;)

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

- Selecting text starting at the bottom instead of the top won't enable cut/copy/delete for the selected text.

This seems to be in the gadget, I shall look into this.

Quote:

- Using the search replace function doesn't mark a file as modified

Using which scope? I cannot reproduce that here with "Search Current File". Obviously, if you have AUTOSAVE switched on, then the files are automatically saved for you when anything is changed.

Quote:

- I am using an existing makefile and it tells me that it wants to rebuild it, every time I click build. Clicking yes will result in the makefile being overwritten (already told you about that one, but I didn't realize that it would do that every time).

If CodeBench thinks the buildscript is stale, then it will prompt you to remake it. Adding or removing files from the project will trigger this action. Once the buildscript is no longer stale, it shouldn't ask again. Can you give me some more detailed steps to try and recreate this, I may have missed something

Quote:

- For some odd reason, when "SDK:c/make -f" is the setting for the make executable, it won't compile properly, but if it's changed to "make", it does. I probably have multiple versions of make somewhere.

I suggest you check the version of make at that location. After installing the SDK, the above path should lead to Make 52.1. You can change the path and name of the builder program to whatever you require, the above is only the default for the SDK.

Quote:

It would be nice if I only got the "are you sure you wish to overwrite?" requester when I'm overwriting a different file; right now it asks this every time I save, which is very frequently

The preferences option is listed as "Confirm overwriting files", which is what you are doing. You can disable it in the first page of the prefs settings.

Simon

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@madmonkey

Quote:

Yes I will be sticking with my own IDE because CodeBench doesn't offer me anything. I really hoped it would but sadly it doesn't.

What sort of features were you expecting? Perhaps it's something that could be added...

Quote:

If you really want a good editor, you know where to find one ;)

I'm sure Xeron will be pleased to read that :/

Simon

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Theres not much wrong with richeditor.gadget. There were a few bugs caused by Rigo working on a gadget that he didn't write (which were ultimately my fault for not more thoroughly documenting the source code), but those are being fixed.

I've already fixed most of the ones mentioned in this thread.

The only major thing the gadget lacks, AFAIK, is folding, but A) CodeBench's quick links window makes folding less useful, and B) the gadget is designed so that i can add folding later without too much overhaul.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@madmonkey

Quote:

Another bug in the syntax highlighting - it doesn't handle escapes correctly. Try "\\" and #define wibble \

The define one is a fair point, i'll fix that.

I can't see a problem with double escapes?

"\" -> String not ended
"\\" -> String ended
"\\\" -> String not ended

etc. etc.

Seems to work here.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Hans

Quote:

Just fixed that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xeron

Can't reproduce the "\\" problem either at the moment.

Apologies if you interpreted my comments wrongly. I did not mean that RichEditor was a bad editor. Far from it, I appreciate how much work has gone into it. It is a shame that the bugs weren't caught before release.

Seriously I am impressed but to me Visual Studio is a good editor so that's my baseline.

@Rigo

Feature list that would convert me - Folding, Popup hints, Autocomplete, Fully Redefinable Keyboard, Integrated Help, Popup Bookmarks, Printing, Macros, Unicode Support, Version Control and a GUI driven Debugger.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:

Using which scope? I cannot reproduce that here with "Search Current File". Obviously, if you have AUTOSAVE switched on, then the files are automatically saved for you when anything is changed.

Ah, that's it. I have autosave enabled, which suits be fine.

I seem to have some undo quirks though. Sometime undo is available after a save, sometimes it isn't. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I don't know what I do that makes undo buffer disappear.

Likewise, some copy/cut operations leave residues behind. That may have been due to the bug with selection from the bottom of the text up that I told you about (which has been fixed).

Quote:

If CodeBench thinks the buildscript is stale, then it will prompt you to remake it. Adding or removing files from the project will trigger this action. Once the buildscript is no longer stale, it shouldn't ask again. Can you give me some more detailed steps to try and recreate this, I may have missed something

I was clicking "no" instead of "ignore." This is due to the warning about losing project settings, so I erred on the safe side. It would be better if it didn't ask to rebuild the makescript when the user supplies their own custom one.

Quote:

The preferences option is listed as "Confirm overwriting files", which is what you are doing. You can disable it in the first page of the prefs settings.

Disabling that will disable confirmation when I do a "save as" as well. I was hoping to not get a requester when I save a file over its own original, but to still ask for a confirmation when overwriting a different file.

BTW, I just found one other problem. I don't have my makefile in the base directory of the project (there's a reason for this), and so some project files are in a higher directory. Performing a "save as" on these leaves the "/" in front of the file-name, which of-course won't save. It's no big deal, since one can easily delete that character, but it would be better if it weren't there.

Hans

Go to top
Re: Codebench: Problems with 0.8 beta
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo

If I do a clean start and run codebench, open a project with a source file and then selects some text and then try to copy (RAmiga+c) it (or cut with RAmiga+x) the edit menu does not allow me to paste at all... RAmiga+v freezes but the button for paste seems to work for pasting copied text (and enambling as it should).

Edited by Menthos on 2009/2/8 0:43:54
Edited by Menthos on 2009/2/8 0:44:55
/Me, myself and A1G4!
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@madmonkey

Quote:

Feature list that would convert me -
Folding,

As Pete has already stated, folding can be added to the gadget with relative ease.

Quote:

Popup hints,
Autocomplete,
Integrated Help,
Popup Bookmarks,

These are all something I intend to do, but I need to stabilise what I have first. This may very well come in an update, but not just yet.

Quote:

Fully Redefinable Keyboard,

The gadget key bindings are user definable from the Prefs

Quote:

Printing,

Should be trivial to support

Quote:

Macros,

I can't really see the point in this. Perhaps in the future, this might have more value, but certainly not now.

Quote:

Unicode Support,

Is there any real point in supporting charsets that extend the ASCII standard? Can those characters actually be used in C code?

Quote:

Version Control

There is already code in place for this, but until I get it working exactly as I want I'm not enabling it. I doubt it would go into the "free" version anyway.

Quote:

and a GUI driven Debugger.

Well, writing a gui for GDB is one thing, but as we have already discussed, GDB is an outdated elephant. I plan to write my own ELF debugging system, but that certainly is not going to happen anytime soon.

Simon

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 (3) 4 »