Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »
Re: OS4.1 bugs
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
This is a cracking one!

Open a shell and type the following:

rx "address workbench 'window s:shell open'"

-> Displays S:Shell as expected, in "show only icons" view.

Activate the new window and press alt+up

-> Displays the parent, also in "show only icons" view.

Activate the new window, and choose "Show => all files" from the Window menu.

-> Shows all the files... except the Shell drawer.
If you put it in view by name mode, there is a little gap where Shell should be!

Even better - go into SYS: and the S directory has also disappeared!

They won't reappear until you close all the child windows, no matter what you do.

This is the most entertaining bug I've seen for a long time. Hours of fun to be had given a suitable victim...

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
This is a cracking one!

Open a shell and type the following:

rx "address workbench 'window s:shell open'"

-> Displays S:Shell as expected, in "show only icons" view.

Activate the new window and press alt+up

-> Displays the parent, also in "show only icons" view.

Activate the new window, and choose "Show => all files" from the Window menu.

-> Shows all the files... except the Shell drawer.
If you put it in view by name mode, there is a little gap where Shell should be!

Until this point i can reproduce your report. I'll file a bugreport against workbench.library. Thank you!

Quote:

They won't reappear until you close all the child windows, no matter what you do.

That i can't reproduce.. but doesn't matter as there rest is enough for a bugreport..

Edited by Cyborg on 2009/1/7 16:18:38
AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Kicko

Quote:

Kicko wrote:
I have used both 4/8gb memsticks. Have 3 here. And also tested with memorystick for mobilephones 1/2gb. All i got sometimes corrupted files after copying them so only thing is to format and try again. I hate this :) Often when its corrupted you can see strange named dirs and you cant delete them.

I known that USB for AmigaNG is slow but don't know before reading this thread that also could destroy the USB datas and need to reformat !!!! Thats verry dangerous.

I have 3 USB HDs on the classic with mediator and poseidon and will be verry angry to lost datas when using them on a new amiga NG Hardware !!!!.

IMHO, this information must be spreaded a lot for others NG users...

The problem arrive with FAT95 and/or also with Amiga filesystems (SFS) ???

-This thread is a link with AOS developpers in case of problems and/or reports ???

-Where officially reports problems to AOS developpers or help them ????

NOTE: edited. I'm at job office when posting

Edited by Mrodfr on 2009/1/7 16:28:44
A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Mrodfr

Your post was very hard to read...

yes this thread is read by some OS developper and might be a place to report problem, else you can also contact one of the beta tester near you (for example you can try to contact Elwood)

USB support is not so bad indeed I'm using it almost daily without any real data lost...

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg
Quote:

That does happen here too, but the shell drawer gap thing is not working here. Maybe because i have changed def_drawer to use "show all" and "by name" as default.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
All right, I replaced the battery in my A1 again. The old one had 3.05 V and the new one is 3.27 V. (Btw. BIOS of my x86 computer shows 3.4-3.5 V for the battery in that machine.) Let's see if that makes any difference in stability. The cooling element on my Radeon card was cool and not even warm when I checked it. Of course, it took a couple of minutes to open the case first. And I removed unused SB Audigy sound card from my A1. Let's see next days how my machine is working.

I started to think that theory of the battery feeding VIA686b chip in A1's. Maybe VIA requires 3.3 V for that part and 3.27 V is close enough but 3.05 V is not. (If the battery makes any difference in stability on my computer eventually at all, we'll have to wait to see.)

I'm wondering, why there's nobody managed to make any hack for A1's to fix that legendary battery problem yet. Or OS4 devs look from Linux/AROS/whatever code how they're initializing the VIA chip.

@all
I was wondering how CrossDOS handles long file names on FAT FS on USB memory sticks ?

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Does classic 4.0 bugs count?

Multiview --

1) I drag in a text file to the multiview icon on Amidock.
Text file opens in multiview on WB.
2) I then drag a dir. into multiview. A requester pops up
asking for file.
3) I say Cancel. And the text file I had open is gone. Name of file is still on window title bar though.

If I instead say "Open" for step 2. and say cancel the text file is okay and is visable still

Screens
Another thing I just noticed (not sure a bug but a non-inuitivie behavior nonetheless):

1) I have say TuneNet open on Workbench screen
2) I have Multiview on its own screen
3) I drag a drawer from Workench to Multiview screen
(not the window on that screen).
4) Tunenet is under the multiview screen.
5) That drawer is actually activied through Tunenet and not the Multview screen.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@TSK

Quote:
I was wondering how CrossDOS handles long file names on FAT FS on USB memory sticks ?

The same way Windows does: Joliet

As for the corrupt memory sticks thing, I think whoever mentioned file comments hit the nail on the head. I've been careful to remove file comments or copy through the shell (copy command defaults to not copying comments for some inexplicable reason) since this came up, and haven't had a single problem.

The downloading AWeb and copying across test would seem to confirm this: The AWeb archive is almost certainly going to have a file comment when it is downloaded, but won't have any other oddities (fairly normal name, although goes over 8.3 limit, not particulary large etc)

Chris

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

As for the corrupt memory sticks thing, I think whoever mentioned file comments hit the nail on the head. I've been careful to remove file comments or copy through the shell (copy command defaults to not copying comments for some inexplicable reason) since this came up, and haven't had a single problem.

The downloading AWeb and copying across test would seem to confirm this: The AWeb archive is almost certainly going to have a file comment when it is downloaded, but won't have any other oddities (fairly normal name, although goes over 8.3 limit, not particulary large etc)

So, does that mean you can reproducable trash your memory stick contents via crossdos if you copy files on it with filecomments?

If so, please verify that once again just to be sure and post a small step-by-step guide here which i can hand over to Heinz Wrobel.

If possible, without any 3rd party software like AWeb.. ie. in a shell copy some files without comments, no problem.. then copy one file with file comment, contents are garbled.

Thank you.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:
So, does that mean you can reproducable trash your memory stick contents via crossdos if you copy files on it with filecomments?

Um... no. That seems to be working as well.

What I have just noticed is that if I format this stick using OS4.1, it takes an awfully long time to mount it, and comes up with USB0C:Uninitialised for ten seconds or so when it is first connected. After reformatting under Windows, the drive mounts immediately under OS4.1. The quick format procedure on OS4.1 takes a lot longer than the equivalent under Windows too (more so than can be explained just by USB1 vs USB2)

The corruption problems might be down to FAT formatting differences. This is formatted as FAT32 under both OS4 and Windows and isn't showing any problems. Maybe FAT12 (or FAT16 or whatever it is) has problems, and FAT32 doesn't? It'll be interesting to find out exactly which FS people are using on the drives that are getting corrupted.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Chris
Quote:

What I have just noticed is that if I format this stick using OS4.1, it takes an awfully long time to mount it, and comes up with USB0C:Uninitialised for ten seconds or so when it is first connected. After reformatting under Windows, the drive mounts immediately under OS4.1. The quick format procedure on OS4.1 takes a lot longer than the equivalent under Windows too (more so than can be explained just by USB1 vs USB2)

I think OS4 always use a blocksize of 512 Bytes for FATxx, windows may use a bigger blocksize resulting in a smaller file allocation table that has to be read by the filesystem before you can access it. You can easily see that if you format a disk and check the free space of the blank disk.

Quote:

The corruption problems might be down to FAT formatting differences. This is formatted as FAT32 under both OS4 and Windows and isn't showing any problems. Maybe FAT12 (or FAT16 or whatever it is) has problems, and FAT32 doesn't? It'll be interesting to find out exactly which FS people are using on the drives that are getting corrupted.

Thats easy to check. You can see the used DOSType in the information window of the disk icon.

FAT32 is displayed as FAT2.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg

I have now done some tests and all that i can say is that it tends to write more junk if filecomments are used. But sooner or later it trashes the filesystem on disk.

Is there a way to pass CrossDOS the NOAMIGAATTR and/or DEBUGLEVEL option if the disk is automounted by Sirion?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@ZeroG

Quote:
I think OS4 always use a blocksize of 512 Bytes for FATxx, windows may use a bigger blocksize resulting in a smaller file allocation table that has to be read by the filesystem before you can access it. You can easily see that if you format a disk and check the free space of the blank disk.

Oh, yes. I think you're right.

I've just seen the problem on a newly FAT32-formatted SD card. The symptoms were slightly different (complained that the directory did not exist and disk appeared blank after a refresh). There was nothing odd about the files, and they didn't have file comments.

I have yet to find a way to systematically reproduce it, but I'm beginning to suspect ASyncWB (which IIRC had a similar problem in the past)

Edited by Chris on 2009/1/12 21:15:53
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
I have another ASL bug.

If you AllocAslRequest(ASL_FileRequest,ASLFR_InitialDrawer,"RAM:",TAG_DONE);
when you call the request with AslRequest, the initial drawer isn't set as per the AllocAslRequest tag.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Chris

Silly question: have you tried "RAM Disk:" ?

cheers
tony
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@tonyw

Put it down to "user error", it was my mistake.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Has anyone tried using the C:dumpdebugbuffer with OS4.1?

I get an output thats not in English. Below is just a small text output I get when run.

a1ide.device 53.1 (18.07.2008)
sii0680ide.device 52.1 (09.12.2006)
USB System Software Task terminated
[AppDockClass.c] mNew: Entrato
[AppDockClass.c] mNew: chiamata DoSuperMethodA()
[AppDockClass.c] mNew: alloco data
[AppDockClass.c] mNew: c'? un nuovo Tag
[AppDockClass.c] mNew: il tag ? : MUIA_AppDock_AppName

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@sundown

Quote:

I get an output thats not in English. Below is just a small text output I get when run.

[AppDockClass.c] mNew: Entrato

Edit: I just saw that MUIA_AppDock_AppName .. so, it isn't an application docky but something else... i don't know a MUI class called AppDock... so i think it might still be part of some 3rd party application you are running.

Here's my old answer for reference (though, it probably isn't correct in your case):
This "AppDockClass.c" indicates that this comes from some application docky. I.e. some app you are running creates a docky on the fly after started. The app coder forgot to remove the debug output it seems..

In any case, that is of course no bug and for sure not a bug of OS4. Case closed.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cyborg

Quote:
In any case, that is of course no bug and for sure not a bug of OS4. Case closed.

You're right, its not a 4.1 bug. I finally tracked it down to amrss, seems it's outputting debug code or something. I was told it was Italian, so that narrowed the hunt down.

Thanks

Look, only one leg, count em, one!
X1000/PA6T@1800MHz/2Gb/Radeon 4850

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ZeroG

I can confirm the data trashing copying to USB using CrossDOS and file comments (or too long file names or special chars in file names?)

It does trash the data by first turning an MP3 file into a directory(!!!) immidiatly followed by the above (or similar) error message but going on with the copy operation.

This is what it says in shell:
Billboard Top100 - 1977 (Dir)
100 - CJ & Co - Devil's Gun.mp3..copied.
100 - CJ & Co - Devil's Gun.mp3: directory not found
099 - John Williams - Star Wars (Main Title).mp3..copied.
099 - John Williams - Star Wars (Main Title).mp3: directory not found
098 - Leo Sayer - How Much Love.mp3..copied.
098 - Leo Sayer - How Much Love.mp3: directory not found
097 - Abba - Knowing Me, Knowing You.mp3..copied.
097 - Abba - Knowing Me, Knowing You.mp3: directory not found
096 - B J Thomas - Don't Worry Baby.mp3..copied.
096 - B J Thomas - Don't Worry Baby.mp3: directory not found
095 - Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.mp3..copied.
095 - Elton John - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.mp3: directory not found

As soon as this has happened, trying to open the dir on the stick leads to AmigaOS4 telling me the directory "lots of special ASCII chars" cannot be opened in a requester and from that point on the whole data on the stick is trashed beyond repair ... bad

At some point the copy operation will simply lock up the whole system leaving me with only the soft reset option (USB and HD lights are OFF at that point)

I can NOT, and that is probably the worst part, format the USB drive anymore. The format operation WILL start, mind you, but it will leave me with a drive that is 80 or so % FULL AFTER the format(!?)
I could only save the drive by doing a format on a Winblows machine.

I tried with Workbench copy (AsyncWB i think), shell copy (got the furthest with this one) and DirOpus copy.

I am now in the process to hunt down all files with comments, delete the comments and try again to see if it really is the case of the misbehaviour.

I use a 32GB flash drive formatted with FAT32 (30,1GB available after a fresh format) and trying to copy 20some GB of MP3's to it (using it as MusicBox on WLAN (if i ever get it to finish without locking up, that is)

edit: removed unknown message and replaced with shell output and expanded suspects with too long filenames and special chars in file names

Edited by Raziel on 2009/1/18 1:15:09
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »