Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

The Return of AmigaOne?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Why can't an FPGA be programmed to do what the MAI IC does?

I mean, nobody must want to admit to owning the MAI design since it's faulty, right? So, maybe even being a SW reimplementation it could be possible to erase the errors in it as well?

Then, just take the current AmigaOne schematics, plus the FPGA MAI and put on a 1.7GHz or higher G4*, could be available in 3 or 4 months!!!

Why not????

* Hehehe, dual core, hehehehehe! (where's the bonkers/delirious smiley? )

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top
Re: The Return of AmigaOne?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

Just to be clear, a hardware design in an FPGA is not software. An FPGA may be reprogrammable, but you're reprogramming the connections between logic gates, not running a sequence of instructions.

Regarding implementing the Artica-S chip in an FPGA, that would be a huge task. You'd basically be designing a new Artica-S chip (minus the silicon layout level stuff since you'll be implementing it on an FPGA). The only way that things could be sped up if someone somehow stumbled upon MAI Logic's own design files and to use those to synthesize FPGA bitstreams.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Atheist

Quote:
Why not????

I don't quite get that.

Why would you want to emulate an ArticiaS chip instead of designing a new hardware? I mean, after all, with the reference designs out there, it is hardly rocket science to design a new board, and it won't be any more expensive or cheaper than an emulated approach...

Seriously, if you do want to contact me write me a mail. You're more likely to get a reply then.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Atheist

It sounds like you have everything you need.

Go for it!

So you'll be selling New AmigaOnes in March or April with all the bugs fixed? We should announce this on all the Amiga websites.

What will the prices be?

I can't wait.

LyleHaze

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Atheist

I have to agree with rogue on this one. Much smarter with making/using new/existing hardware. There is much ppc hardware available allready. And much powerfull too.

X5000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Atheist

If you want a faster system, buy this. It's the best way to support them and bring new hardware to AmigaOS.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top

Register To Post