Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 (2)
Re: Assign command
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TetiSoft

Quote:
Your icon has "TurboCalc" as default tool. Without path.
Then Workbench will search TurboCalc in the current
directory (where the project file is located) first
and fall back to the search path which is defined by
the Path commands in Startup-Sequence and User-Startup.

When it worked before, either your project file was
located in the same directory as TurboCalc, or your
S-S and U-S defined a search path that included the
directory which contained TurboCalc, or your icons
contained the full path to TurboCalc.

Going back to my A1200 (blimey OS4 is such an improvement).
When Turbocalc creates an icon it only puts 'turbocalc' as the default tool, and it behaves exactly as you say.
If I move one of the spreadsheets out of one of the sub-directories into the same directory as the Turbocalc program it loads up fine. If I double click on that same file within one of the sub-directories I get the "unable to open your tool turbocalc" error message.

I do apologise, but I was convinced that this worked correctly on my A1200, and wrongly on my A1.

Just to summarize the solutions available to me (from this thread)
1. Do not save with icon from within Turbocalc, and remove the Turbocalc assign from user-startup as it is not required. That way the def_icon is used which contains the full path of Turbocalc.

2. Just remove the 'turbocalc' file name from the end of the assign, and Use the path command to add the turbocalc directory to the search path.

3. Combine ptions 1 & 2, leaving the assugn to juat the directory in user-startup. That way I don't have to change any icon info on any old files to get them to open, and new files will use def_icons.

@Everyone
Thanks for your explanations, it was all very helpful.
I just wish memory got better with age, and not worse.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

Hey this has been a good thread. Don't apologize in the slightest.

I learned something new - I thought you could only make assigns to a path.

As it turns out you can make an assign to a file as well. Very interesting, but slightly twisted.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
1. Do not save with icon from within Turbocalc, and remove the Turbocalc assign from user-startup as it is not required. That way the def_icon is used which contains the full path of Turbocalc.

Never do this unless you are 100% sure that the program only uses the assign for data files (which very few do). turbocalc could be loading things like turbocalc:tclibs/ & turbocalc:toolbar/ on startup, you cannot guarentee it's not using PROGDIR:tclobs/, PROGDIR:Toolbar or even just tclibs & toolbar etc.

Removeing an assighn has messed me up in the past, I removed an assign then got called away from the computer and didn't actually use the program again for a couple of weeks and had forgotten the removal, so I spent several days removing recently installed software, reinstalling the program etc. until I remembered and added the assign again.

Basically, if a program adds an assign there's usually a good reason for it...

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
To be honest, I couldn't remember If I had added the assign to user-startup, or wether Turbocalc had done it during installation, and I didn't fancy re-installing Turbocalc just to find out.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

This is a shot in the dark but would an alias have an effect here?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@goody

I don't think because IIRC correctly alias only affect Shell and here it's the WB that starts the program.

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@goody

Quote:

goody wrote:
@Swoop

This is a shot in the dark but would an alias have an effect here?

Only if Turbocalc is started from Shell. Aliases are a Shell only thing (and usually they are defined in the Shell-Startup).

This is about WB start, with project icons containing only "Turbocalc" as default tool.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@Severin

Quote:
To be honest, I couldn't remember If I had added the assign to user-startup, or wether Turbocalc had done it during installation, and I didn't fancy re-installing Turbocalc just to find out.

Heh -- that's what the install log is for

I checked all my old install logs from (backups of) my TC installations back from 3.5 and up, and none of them mention setting up an assign. I can also see that I didn't do it myself. I *think* I may have included the Turbocalc directory in the Path myself to make it work back in my Classic days. On OS4 I haven't done that yet, which also results in the projects not being startable by themselves, I have to start TC and load them in there.

But the correct solution (or at least the one more commonly used) would be to have an assign to Turbocalc's directory, and then have the project icons contain "Turbocalc:Turbocalc" as default tool. I don't remember if there is a way to force TC to write that into icons it creates. Maybe it obeys a def_turbocalc icon or something?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Swoop

I don't have a turbocalc assign, and all seems working well

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@nbache

Quote:
But the correct solution (or at least the one more commonly used) would be to have an assign to Turbocalc's directory, and then have the project icons contain "Turbocalc:Turbocalc" as default tool. I don't remember if there is a way to force TC to write that into icons it creates. Maybe it obeys a def_turbocalc icon or something?

Best regards,

Niels
The problem is that if you select to save with an icon, the default Turbocalc icon is fixed and stored as part of the binary, and not as an icon in a drawer which could be changed. The icons default tool is turbocalc, with out a colon, and therefore refers to the turbocalc program, and not the turbocalc directory. Hence having to make an assign to the turbocalc directory, and then adding the Turbocalc directory to the search path, so that the turbocalc program is in the search path.
If you do not select to save with an icon, then the default def_icon system is used, and as long as you have the full path to turbocalc in def_tcd then all your spreadsheets open up in turbocalc.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Swoop

If you really want to do it with an assign you can hexedit the exe.

What you should do is:

1. Assign TC: to your turbocalc drawer
2. Copy TurboCalc as TCalc
3. Hex edit the exe and find "TurboCalc" or 547572626f43616c6300 (not the fisrt one you find)
3. Change it to TC:TCalc or 54433A5443616c63000000 (don't forget the zeros)
4. Save and test the program buy running it and saving an empty sheet then checking the icon.
5. If the default tool is TC:TCalc then you've done it, if not delete TCalc and start at step 2, edit the next occurance of TurboCalc in the exe etc.

ONLY WORK ON A COPY, if it doesn't work, make a fresh copy, NEVER EDIT A PREVIOUS EDIT (it's to easy to kill the program)

If you're even remotely worried about doing this, email a copy of your exe (and only the exe) to me and I'll do it for you.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
If you really want to do it with an assign you can hexedit the exe.

What you should do is:

1. Assign TC: to your turbocalc drawer
2. Copy TurboCalc as TCalc
3. Hex edit the exe and find "TurboCalc" or 547572626f43616c6300 (not the fisrt one you find)
3. Change it to TC:TCalc or 54433A5443616c63000000 (don't forget the zeros)
4. Save and test the program buy running it and saving an empty sheet then checking the icon.
5. If the default tool is TC:TCalc then you've done it, if not delete TCalc and start at step 2, edit the next occurance of TurboCalc in the exe etc.

ONLY WORK ON A COPY, if it doesn't work, make a fresh copy, NEVER EDIT A PREVIOUS EDIT (it's to easy to kill the program)

If you're even remotely worried about doing this, email a copy of your exe (and only the exe) to me and I'll do it for you.
Thats rather scary (for me), but thanks for the offer. At the moment the assign & path commands combined do the job with my old files, so I'll stick with that. For current files, I have set turbocalc to save without icons and it uses the def-icon to launch turbocalc, and if I snaapshot them, I get the def-icon image with the full path as the file icon.
Again thanks for your input, I have managed to learn a bit more about AmigaDOS.

Peter Swallow

Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 (2)