Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Discord on AmigaOS
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
As you may know, we recently created a Discord server where we meet each other and we discuss. You are welcome to join us at https://discord.gg/YQX65yzyeB

But can you do it from your AmigaOS 4, I hear you ask? It is doable and I tested it a few minutes ago and seems to work quite well.

Actually, you can even join us from any Amiga, as the only thing you need is an IRC client. Tested with the latest Wookiechat and works great.

To do it just follow the guide at
https://mac84.net/web/discord-via-irc/

I know, it is for MACs, but hey, it works. There is also a video in that guide explaining all the steps.

The best of all is with that solution you can have our IRC and Discord both open at the same time.
Have fun and see you on discord from your Amiga.

Follow me on
Ko-fi, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch
Go to top
Re: Discord on AmigaOS
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
HI @walkero

Going over the steps from the link you provided and used irc.amigans.net, channel #amigans, is that the server/channel you used to connect? Because WookieChat did not work for me (exactly the same issues as rjd324 had in his thread Do People Still Use IRC), I use AmIRC and trying to do the step 2 (/msg root help) but that errored out with root: No such nick/channel. My guess is that you were using different server/channel, is that correct?

Thanks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Managed to make Wookie to work b/c I've seen your post on Discord that AmIRC will not work, but still an issue with /msg root help: [Error] root :No such nick/channel.

I see I need to register my password with my nick with the channel, not sure how to do it?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I had a bitlbee bridge running on my local Pi and connected my Amiga to it. It works but wasn't really happy with. A real client would be great but.. ja, you know...

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
This is interesting, an IRC to Discord proxy makes sense for old machines. For a native client there are a few 3rd party ones written in C++, some of them use Qt, which might be useful for OS4:
https://github.com/topics/discord-client?l=c%2B%2B

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
A native client for discord would be great. Until then though, every solution is valuable and useful in my opinion.

On my linux machine I use the gtkcord which is quite nice and uses much less resources than the official discord client.

Follow me on
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@walkero

How did you do the following:

/msg root account add discord <discordemail> <disordpass>

What did you used instead of the root?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@walkeroQuote:
walkero wrote:As you may know, we recently created a Discord server where we meet each other and we discuss. You are welcome to join us at https://discord.gg/YQX65yzyeB

But can you do it from your AmigaOS 4, I hear you ask? It is doable and I tested it a few minutes ago and seems to work quite well.

Actually, you can even join us from any Amiga, as the only thing you need is an IRC client. Tested with the latest Wookiechat and works great.

To do it just follow the guide at
https://mac84.net/web/discord-via-irc/

I know, it is for MACs, but hey, it works. There is also a video in that guide explaining all the steps.

The best of all is with that solution you can have our IRC and Discord both open at the same time.
Have fun and see you on discord from your Amiga.

Thank you for the link, I got it to work with AmiRC. So, yes guys, you can use Discord chat on Aos :)

Amiga x5000 ı o2o ı 4GB RAM ı RadeonRX580 | SBlaster Audigy Fx - AmigaOS4.1 FInal Edition

A1200 sandwich

Warp - Croatian Amiga portal
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@levellord
You always use root there. This is for the server, and not some user of yours.
Then at the <discordemail> <disordpass> you use the credentials you have at the discord.

In the guide there is also a YT video explaining all the steps. I highly recommend to watch that as well.

Follow me on
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thanks Walkero, but that did not work for me, it will error out with the following statement: No such nick/channel, whenever I do /msg root... I followed closely the YT video and the guide, did exactly the same things and it just did not work for me.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Step 5 says: click here

there is no link.... no idea how to get my token information.

Tell me to RTFM - sure I am being silly.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
@rjd324
Have a look at the following video on how to get the token
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEgFvgg7ZPI&t=0s

Follow me on
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hey!

I spoke with a buddy of mine regarding the IRC and Discord and he warned me not to use Discord API with 3rd party programs, in this case WookieChat/AmIRC, because I might be risking getting ban on my Discord account. It is not guaranteed to happen but, more usage draw higher risk. It might be true, or not, but after this convo, I will just stick with browservice since no API is used this way and experience is much better. Take this with a grain of salt, just wanted to pass on.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
The Discord TOS explicitly forbids 3rd party clients, so you'll have a higher risk of getting caught by their spam filter if you use one. AFAIK it's not a permaban though, so if this happens you should also be able to contact Discord support, explain what happened and get your account unlocked.
What makes me more uneasy is that you have to send your username, password and token as plain text over the wire to this IRC bridge.

This is just like television, only you can see much further.
Go to top
Site Builder
Site Builder

See User information
You guys are right. But there are a lot of third-party applications out there, like the pidgin or the gtkcord.

About what BSzili mentions, he is also correct. It might be a good solution for someone to set up his own bitlbee (https://www.bitlbee.org) server, even on a RaspberryPi on his own network and then minimise the possibility of someone getting your password.

Follow me on
Go to top

Register To Post