Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 43

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Power consumption of next gen Amiga...
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
So.... with the energy crisis in Europe I became curious about the power consumption of a next gen Amiga.... I have ordered a meter for it, but it will not arrive until mid next week.

My machine has the following hardware....
AX5000 Motherboard (020)

Radeon RX550 GFX board (PCIe)
HD compatible Audioboard (PCIe)
100 MBit Ethernet card (PCI)
4x SATA expansion (PCI)

1x DVD Reader/Burner (internal SATA)
1x 2TB 3.5" Harddrive (internal SATA)
1x 2TB 3.5" Harddrive (connected to the PCI SATA card)

How much does your next gen Amiga draw in idle mode as well as power mode? Power mode would be when you for example play a demanding game such as Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy or Doom 3.

Prefs/Powersettings did not change any power consumption for regular 2D usage of programs such as Odyssey or Rave. So I left it to HIGH setting to make sure the games that uses GPU performs as good as they can. The numbers below are the peaks I could see on the meter.

Stand by (computer turned off, PSU turned on to give some power to motherboard): 0.9W

Idle with WB booted: 70.7W
Quake 1 CPU Rendering 800x600: 70.7W
Rave encoding to MP3, VBR Quality 5 (1h 47m stereo wav-file) Encoding time: 9m 14s: 70.7W

Onto some CPU & GPU usage then...

Jedi Outcast GL4es, 800x600: 80.0W
Return to Castle Wolfenstein GL4es, 1920x1080: 86.6W

What surprised me most is that there is no difference in power consumption when stressing the CPU. Another thing to add is that the CPU stayed at a stable 60 Celsius. But this puzzles me a bit... any idea of why stressing the CPU doesn't draw more power?

I also wonder why my idle power consumption is so much higher compared to some of the other tests in this thread? My guess is the 2x mechanical SATA harddrives. Any thoughts on that?

Edited by Cageman on 2022/9/10 6:54:44
Edited by Cageman on 2022/9/20 14:28:16
Go to top
Re: Power consumption of next gen Amiga...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cageman

only 2gb hardrives? dosent sound like next gen amiga. why not using sdd disks instead. even lower power consumption?

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@noXLar

Good catch.... it is 2x 2TB harddrives. :) And no SSD at this point. I have edited my initial post with this information.

EDIT: The reason why no SSD... my SAM460ex which has to use a PCI based SATA card is not fast at all compared to the internal ports on the X5000. The X5000 has the same slowdown when using a PCI based SATA card.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My X1000 draws about 50 Watt (idle) to 80 Watt (load). So I guess it will be maybe 100 Watt max. on your System.

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Cageman

hehe look better now:)

i also use 4port pci on sam460ex. but only because crappy onboard ports and so few of them. but i can't remember they ever been slow.

Sam460ex 2GB 120Gb SSD&1Tb HD7750 Envy24HT A-Eon Drv 2.10+Warp3D New Uboot
Apollo v4 Standalone
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cageman Quote:
How much does your next gen Amiga draw in idle mode as well as power mode? Power mode would be when you for example play a demanding game such as Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy or Doom 3.

I will post my results mid next week... but for those of you who can already measure this, please add a comment.

My X5020 which is in a Fractal Core 2500 case (three fans; fan controller in middle setting) takes 57W when idle... I have in my machine a Radeon HD 6450 (with fan), a couple of SSD disks and a 1 TB mechanical HD, a Soundblaster Live! (PCI), an Ethernet (PCIe) and a Sata/USB controller (PCIe) board.

I do not have any demanding game in my machine to test...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@DJBase

Is that with your gfx board?

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
How typical.... it is now end of "next week" and I have now got information that my meter will arrive on Monday next week. It seems a lot of people are buying these things now to measure how much their electrical stuff draws in order to save power usage.

Nice to see the comments. Keep em comming. :)

Current Amiga computers: Vampire V4-SA, Sam460ex, A1-X5000/020
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Gregor

I still have a PCIe slot left (the mini one)... you say you have a SATA/USB controller hooked to one of those slots. What brand etc are you using for that? The PCI based controller I have for the extra SATA ports are probably 20 times slower compared to the two internal slots on the AX5000. I wonder how fast PCIe is compard to regular PCI. :)

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cageman
Quote:
I still have a PCIe slot left (the mini one)... you say you have a SATA/USB controller hooked to one of those slots. What brand etc are you using for that? The PCI based controller I have for the extra SATA ports are probably 20 times slower compared to the two internal slots on the AX5000. I wonder how fast PCIe is compard to regular PCI. :)

It is this one:
https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/pcie-x1 ... delock-89389-p180132.html

But it is useful only with Linux as there are no AmigaOS drivers for it! There are no faster Sata controller boards available for AmigaOS than those ancient Sata1 controllers (Sil 3112/3114/3512), due to the lack of drivers.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Raziel

Quote:
Is that with your gfx board?

Yes, complete system but I will test with load again.

AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Gregor

Quote:
I do not have any demanding game in my machine to test...

This should work with your video card.

http://www.goldencode.de/download.php ... _RadeonHD_Compositing.lha

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rob
Quote:
I was not able to download it with any browser... Could you please place it somewhere accessible at least with Odyssey? Thanks!

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Gregor

Sorry I didn't verify if the download still worked.

Try this one instead.

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... e/action/wingsbf_rhdc.lha

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rob
Quote:
Sorry I didn't verify if the download still worked.

Try this one instead.

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... e/action/wingsbf_rhdc.lha

Thanks! Got it downloaded now...

The power consumption was 59-60w during the first mission, so there was only a 2-3w rise. Tested also BubleShooter DX, it gave 60w, too.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I have now updated the opening post with my measures (so you do not have to scroll up and down to see my hardware list + the powerdraw). :)

Current Amiga computers: Vampire V4-SA, Sam460ex, A1-X5000/020
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cageman
Quote:
I also wonder why my idle power consumption is so much higher compared to some of the other tests in this thread? My guess is the 2x mechanical SATA harddrives. Any thoughts on that?

It is probably mostly due to the graphics card. RX 550 cards have a TBP of 50W, whereas for my HD 6450 that value is only 18W.

Go to top

Register To Post