Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »
Re: New Sam460cr boards will hit the road soon!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@m3x
Quote:
I've identified what's the problem with newer Radeon Bios card under U-boot on the Sam boards... 

Does this problem also apply to sam440? Because several people couldn't get any GPU (newer than HD6xxx) to work on SAM440.

CD32/A500/A600/A600+Furia/A1200/A4000D+A2320+PiccoloSD64/Sam440 flex 800MHz RAM 1GB HD7750 128MB OS4.1 SBLive! ->
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@max
Quote:

You are right! I've identified what's the problem with the newer Radeon Bios card under U-boot on the Sam boards, but ATM I didn't find any solution about it.

Can it be the same reason why my r7-250 (marked as HD Verde) has also no uboot shown?

@All
Shouldn't the keyboard's num lock work even if i have no bootable device attached and have no uboot shown?

@Spectre

As for PCI-E slot, I have found there is cases in shops with vertical placement for the video card, so together with riser cable, it can fit pretty well. Now only to find an HD card which works fine in Uboot, WB, Compositing, and Warp3d/Warp3DNova :)

Edited by kas1e on 2021/4/4 6:52:48
Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
Can it be the same reason why my r7-250 (marked as HD Verde) has also no uboot shown?

I was owning a Sam460ex in the past and used a Sapphire Radeon 250E. See exact model here. I still have it if i ever need to plug in a single slot GPU in order to be able to use the PCIe x4 Slot in my X5000. This card supports Compositing, Warp3D, Warp3D Nova and displayed UBoot correctly on Sam460ex.

Quote:
Shouldn't the keyboard's num lock work even if i have no bootable device attached and have no uboot shown?

Don't know actually. I only remeber that Acube released an UBoot Update which introduced problems with various Keyboards.

Sam460 Uboot 2015 Available

UBoot 2015a keyboard problem

So try all your Keyboards In 2015 i had to borrow a compatible one because the 3 i was owning were not compatible... But the good if you initially configured it and installed OS4 then you will be able to configure (almost?) everything UBoot related within AmigaShell using NVGet- and NVSetVar.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

No num lock until OS boots.

This model R9-255 works for me for U-Boot etc .
My backup cards as I mainly use Radeon Rx cards .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-HP-AMD-Ra ... ksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

http://hdrlab.org.nz/benchmark/gfxben ... phicsCard/593/Result/2164

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre
Quote:

Thanks! Ordered! Will see how it.. Can't see through if this one single slot or riser need it for ?

@Sonic
Quote:

So try all your Keyboards

I have usual logitech one, and this one works in both X5000 and even in pegasos2. If it will not works in Sam, that will be kind of strange :) Firstly i need to see Uboot for start.

But what for sure, if Sams is will be produced futher, there should be fixed issues with RadeonRX in uboot, and with non-working RadeonHD which works in x5000 but not in Sams.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

The card is single slot .

Some keyboards have an issue were you get double key presses in U-Boot. No problems in AmigaOS4.1 FE
I am using a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200 that works ok.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Just looking at my old Sam460ex Default U-Boot settings.

Default boot device was set to usb so in theory if you had a properly configured USB device with the Radeon RX installed on it you could boot with a Radeon Rx card .

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@m3x

Quote:

You are right! I've identified what's the problem with newer Radeon Bios card under U-boot on the Sam boards, but ATM I didn't find any solution about it.

Maybe a disclaimer that the user might need an older model Video card like a Radeon HD5450, HD6450 or HD 6570 to set the machine up initially ?.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Spectre660

This is basically what AEON do, give you a USB with the Enhancer drivers already installed on it so you can boot from that rather than an actual CDROM.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@NinjaCyborg

Quote:

This is basically what AEON do, give you a USB with the Enhancer drivers already installed on it so you can boot from that rather than an actual CDROM.

The issues are that the Sam460CR is pickier with working models of RadeonHD SI cards plus the Radeon Rx cards do not show U-boot on the Sam460CR machines plus there is no Radeon RX lite driver currently and Enhancer 2.0 which contains the Radeon RX driver is currently only sold as a digital download. So makes it difficult for A-Cube to legally include it on bootable medium.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:

you can use a serial terminal connect to the Sam460 instead of a keyboard (115200 baud, 8N1)

Max Tretene, ACube Systems Srl, Soft3
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mr2

Quote:
Does this problem also apply to sam440? Because several people couldn't get any GPU (newer than HD6xxx) to work on SAM440.

Yes, the problem is similar.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@m3x
Quote:

You can use a serial terminal connect to the Sam460 instead of a keyboard (115200 baud, 8N1)

Yeah, that what I do with x5000 and peg2, just to be able to type commands from serial I need to set FLOW CONTROL to NONE as well in putty.

But with x5000 for example I can't type like it. I should press "Esc", then, press "down" 4 times (so visually cursor comes to the "command line" which I didn't see on the serial), and hit enter. And only then I have x5000> prompt where I can type commands.

With sam460, I have just VESA: OK, and no prompt. So, should I when sam460 boots, hit "ESC" or something and hit some buttons to have uboot promt?

@Spectre (and others with sam460)
Can anyone check plz the combinations of keypresses to go to the command line of uboot ? I.e. should i hold "ESC" on boot and then will have a command line, or should I press something else?

Thanks!

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Responded to your email.

Holding down the Escape key will get you into U-Boot.
However the default setting in U-boot will not redirect the command line to serial.Needs to be set by commands and saved.
so not something you want to be doing blindly.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Quote:
With sam460, I have just VESA: OK, and no prompt. So, should I when sam460 boots, hit "ESC" or something and hit some buttons to have uboot promt?

Remove both gfx card and keyboard and boot.
On the serial console you'll see the uboot prompt.
Type 'print' to list all the env vars, and check if boot1 or boot2 or boot3 is set to 'usb'.
If so, you can boot from a usb stick, just use win32diskimager to burn the aos4.1 install iso on the usb stick.
Put back the gfx card and the keyboard, insert the usb stick and boot. after a few second the aos41.1 logo should display.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@max
Quote:

Remove both gfx card and keyboard and boot.
On the serial console you'll see the uboot prompt.
Type 'print' to list all the env vars, and check if boot1 or boot2 or boot3 is set to 'usb'.
If so, you can boot from a usb stick, just use win32diskimager to burn the aos4.1 install iso on the usb stick.
Put back the gfx card and the keyboard, insert the usb stick and boot. after a few second the aos41.1 logo should display.

So I just connect PSU and Serial cable, and nothing else (no gfx card, no keyboard, no mouse, just PSU and Serial). Boot. On serial i have:

U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 14:20:11)

CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 460EX RevB at 1100 MHz (PLB=220 OPB=110 EBC=110)

No Security/Kasumi support
       Bootstrap Option H 
Boot ROM Location I2C (Addr 0x52)

Internal PCI arbiter enabled
       32 kB I
-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board
Sam460ex/crPCIe 4x PCIe 1x
I2C
:   ready
DRAM
:  2 GiB (ECC not enabled440 MHzCL4)
PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
PCIE0
link is not up.
PCIE1link is not up.
Net:   ppc_4xx_eth0
FPGA
:  Revision 03 (2010-10-07)
SM502not found
PERMD2
:not found
VGA
:   NO CARDS

After that motherboard just shutdowns. No Uboot prompt on serial, and no reaction on "ESC". The motherboard just off after output "VGA: NO CARDS"

If I then connect RadeonRX, and boot up sam, and then hit "ESC" on the serial, I have only that:

U-Boot 2015.a (May 16 2015 14:20:11)

CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 460EX RevB at 1100 MHz (PLB=220 OPB=110 EBC=110)

No Security/Kasumi support
       Bootstrap Option H 
Boot ROM Location I2C (Addr 0x52)

Internal PCI arbiter enabled
       32 kB I
-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board
Sam460ex/crPCIe 4x PCIe 1x
I2C
:   ready
DRAM
:  2 GiB (ECC not enabled440 MHzCL4)
PCI:   Bus Dev VenId DevId Class Int
PCIE0
link is not up.
PCIE1successfully set as root-complex
        02  00  1002  699f  0300  ff
Net
:   ppc_4xx_eth0
FPGA
:  Revision 03 (2010-10-07)
SM502not found
PERMD2
:not found
VGA
:   1
VESA
:  OK

And no Uboot prompt.

Next, I tried RadeonHD Verde and also hitting "ESC" in the terminal like a madman: no luck again.

Now, I tried to put RadeonRX and use USB flash with os4few + Radeon RX driver in it. Tried in both USB ports, with hard reboot with 30 seconds waiting: nothing again. "VESA: OK" and nothing more.

Any ideas?

Without a GFX card motherboard just shutdowns, probably because it expected any gfx card (and on sam460es there SM502 which is not found on sam460cr) so that probably no go.

And did I understand right, that the keyboard is not active on boot, and I can't "ESC" from it to go to uboot? (at least, if "num lock" didn't work till uboot start, it means the whole keyboard didn't too).

Is there some prove to be a way to go to uboot from serial?

My putty settings:

Baud: 115200
DataBits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Parity: None
Flow Control: None

Edited by kas1e on 2021/4/5 17:12:04
Edited by kas1e on 2021/4/5 17:13:47
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Connect a Radeon Rx550 or Rx560 video card and turn on the sam460ex with the keyboard and USB Drive connected.
Do not press any keys on the keyboard.
If one of the boot options is for USB boot it will attempt to boot . You will start to see AMIGOS boot info in the serial terminal.
if things are working it takes about 40 second before any display on monitor.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre

Tested with RX550 2GB.

Without the keyboard connected it will not boot? I just have a USB stick with LEDs (which blinks when things read/write), so I can see that when I connect keyboard + stick, then something tries to read (though still no booting, just a few times read something, and that all).

I tried both HDMI and DVI, the same.

@max

Imho what needs to be done for all newcomers for sure, is by default errors should come to serial too (copied maybe and on-screen and on serial). Or at least just serial. If you can't see things on a monitor, but they instead still redirected to monitor .. then how you will see errors?

And what is funnier, after I touch a few times radiator on the CPU it just .. peeled off !! And i see under it some strange piece of paper :) what is it for ?:) Probably I need now to use some new thermal paste without that "paper" between cpu and radiator ..

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

Can you verify that your USB stick is written correctly ? .
Image should end up after rawcopy to a writable SFS/00 volume on the USB stick . The ones I use also show a flashing LED on read and write operations.

Tested with RX550 2GB.

Without the keyboard connected it will not bootI just have a USB stick with LEDs (which blinks when things read/write), so I can see that when I connect keyboard stickthen something tries to read (though still no bootingjust a few times read something, and that all).

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre
I just tried to boot up from this USB stick on x5000: it loads up all kickstart modules from (i can see how USB led blinks) and then crashes with illegal instructions as expected. But on sam460 it just blinks about 10 times, like starting (or tried) to do something, but nothing close to booting.

And yes, if I put that USB stick to x5000, it shows up things well and I have therein kickstart RadeonHD and Radeon RX, and in kick layout, both are tried to be loaded.

It's like, it still didn't boots up on sam460. Maybe it should be used internal USB from sam460 (like one of those J12 or J13)

If only I can go into Uboot prompt on serial somehow...

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »