Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »
Re: OS4 UPDAAAATEE !!! BANANA !!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@arfcarl
Quote:

let's see if it can show anything. Debug kernel with level 15 hasn't shown anything via the serial port when the problem appears.

Are you sure about 15? Because it hardly can boot even with 7 because of gazillion of output. My bet is that it wrongly set in firmware (maybe you forget add =, while should). I.e. the whole line should be for x5000:

Quote:

setenv os4_commandline serial munge debuglevel=5
saveenv

Because with level 15 you for real can't boot. Or it will take many minutes.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I had a "=", but at the wrong place on the line. Fixed now. Thanks.

Here's my Snoopy output. This is what happens after a clean boot of the system (Sam460ex@1150 MHz, Radeon HD 5450, RadeonHD.chip 1.21 and OS 4.1 FE update 2), starting Odyssey beta 7 from May 2020, browsing to eab.abime.net from the bookmarks:

10173 : Odyssey : FAIL = [exec] OpenResource("PicassoIV.resource") [11uS]
10174 : Odyssey : FAIL = [exec] OpenResource("PicassoIV.resource") [7uS]
10175 : Odyssey : FAIL = GetVar("pthreads.minstacksize",0x5CDCE5E0,100,0x00000000) [199uS]
10176 : Odyssey : o.k. = Open("CONSOLE:",OLD) = [0x16AC0FC2] [466uS]
10177 : Odyssey : o.k. = Open("CONSOLE:",OLD) = [0x16BD9816] [3882uS]
10178 : Odyssey : o.k. = CreateNewProc("pthread id 2") [608uS]
10179 : pthread id 2 : 0 = FindSegmentStackSize("<untracked>") [117uS]
10180 : pthread id 2 : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",3,0x5B2DA720,0x00000000) = 0 [40uS]
10181 : pthread id 2 : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("bsdsocket.library",4) [28959uS]
10182 : pthread id 2 : o.k. = Open("DEVS:Internet/hosts",OLD) = [0x16BD984C] [101411uS]
10183 : Odyssey : FAIL = GetVar("pthreads.minstacksize",0x5CDCE5E0,100,0x00000000) [99962uS]
10184 : pthread id 2 : FAIL = GetVar("LOCALDOMAIN",0x5E9FE64C,255,0x00000000) [154uS]
10185 : pthread id 2 : o.k. = Open("DEVS:Internet/name_resolution",OLD) = [0x16BD984C] [114uS]
10186 : pthread id 2 : FAIL = GetVar("RES_OPTIONS",0x5E9FE64C,255,0x00000000) [126uS]
10187 : Odyssey : o.k. = Open("CONSOLE:",OLD) = [0x16BD9882] [1634uS]
10188 : Odyssey : o.k. = Open("CONSOLE:",OLD) = [0x16BD984C] [5756uS]
10189 : Odyssey : o.k. = CreateNewProc("pthread id 3") [614uS]
10190 : pthread id 3 : 0 = FindSegmentStackSize("<untracked>") [117uS]
10191 : pthread id 3 : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",3,0x5B2DAC30,0x00000000) = 0 [45uS]
10192 : pthread id 3 : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("bsdsocket.library",4) [108uS]

At this point the ethernet/network has stalled.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@arfcarl
Yeah, after many tests on different machines, can say that serial brings nothing about those "stalling" issues.

I reported all the issues we discuss there already (at least wrote about them in our beta-list).

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@arfcarl

Yes, I should have written “not upgrading” rather than “not using”.

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

What can actually be seen is that when the problem occurs the number of I/O Writes quickly raises up to the maximum number of 32 (shown with the shownetstatus ppc460ex_eth command).

At least 17 out of 32 I/O Writes doesn't make the ethernet stall.

By limiting the number of active network connections in Odyssey to 2 it will take longer before the eth stall happens.

Edit: changed 7 to 17.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@arfcarl

Also it only seems to happen with the onboard ethernet .

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
Quote:
If you have Radeon RX you may have hard times: there no RadeonRX lite driver in the OS4. So you need to modify install ISO to add Radeon RX driver + add kick layout line.

If RadeonHD, then all fine, you will have a lite driver (limited to 1024x768), which you can replace just by copying RadeonHD 3.7 driver over old lite on in sys: kickstart/ and reboot (then screen mode, check 1920x1080 here, if not, choose "detect automatically" or add mode manually, all in screen mode prefs).

After that warp3dnova, warp3d SI (for old warp3d/minilg, not part of Enhancer), and ogles2.library, and so on.

Thanks for your advice. Got everything up and running with just the bare minimum from the Enhancer pack. Ended up in a moment 22 due to my graphics card (my modified install ISO turned out to be crap), but luckily I had an older one laying around that I could use to boot up FE without the Enhancer drivers. Other than that it was smooth sailing and everything seems rock solid so far.

What I really wanted to say was thanks to all involved in this update. And thanks for OWB b7. Overall OS4 and X5000 is a really nice kit.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
Maybe another advice will be for the time being to switch to the older kernel from update1: at least for now we don't know if it new kernel guilty for some random crap happens (like network stalls, unexpected messages about hanging forbids on exit from some programs, something with priorities/tasks handling, etc), or it just new kernel unhide bugs in some other os components.

Just if all is ok as it now, keep it, but if you will experience issues of the kind I describe, then switch back to the kernel from update1 for time being.

ps. and don't' forget to maximize your amidock with tray bar - put there dockies from zzd10h: netdock, ramdock, gfx dock, cpu dockies and from Javier: keymap switcher, mixer & datetime dockies. AmiDock can be not very intuitive to work with at first, but all you need can be done. Without them, the default setup looks a bit empty :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

I think I'll keep running the latest kernel for now since it seems to work for my (narrow) use cases. And someone needs to be a guinea pig anyway :)

About Amidock and emptiness, I like it when it's not to cluttered. I don't even want to know what time it is.

Hats of to BITbyBIT software BTW, their SDK browser is a killer app. Do you know if we can expect an updated SDK anytime soon?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@sTix My update 2 comes with an SDK update... dos_sdk 54.107 (4.12.2020)"

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
In update2 there was a bit of SDK update just for those for want manually update some bits. I.e. no fresh SDK, just something which better than nothing. There you can find in update2 what is important enough:

1). updated SDK for DOS (as it quite massively improved)
2). updates to pthread lirbary (some critical bugs were fixed)
3). updates to newlib (with lots of fixes from Frederik)

Also some "C" tools (mostly for new DOS and to help developer stuff for, but also few others, check SDK/C). And that all. MUI and MiniGL SDK also included, but that nothing to worry about they all publicly online for those who need them.

I do not know if a new SDK is in plans. Hope so.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
@Thematic

Ah, I missed that. Better than nothing, but what I'm really after is a recent version of gcc.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sTix
Quote:

Ah, I missed that. Better than nothing, but what I'm really after is a recent version of gcc.

It is also available: 8.3.0. I use it for a year and build all the stuff with it => no problems.

Just not in form of a ready full SDK archive, but almost. If you need it on x5000 and don't' want to build shit and lose time on all this, then you just download "adtools" from os4depot: http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... elopment/misc/adtools.lha

You install it, and on top add from the latest SDK stuff from "base.lha" and what else you may need later + those parts of SDK from update2 on top, and you are ready.

If you want to have it on cross-compiler, then:
https://os4coding.net/blog/kas1e/how-b ... utils-2232-gcc-830-cygwin

With cross-compiler one all even easier, just follow things in the article, nothing to think about :)

Just SDK is not available in form of SDK_Balbalba.lha from the Hyperion site, but not a big deal, but anyone can build one for himself already.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ktadd
Quote:

Quote:

@broadbluesQuote:
That sounds like a bug in SimpleMail, it shouldn't be adding a new app icon each time.

Maybe SimpleMail isn't doing it right but the resulting behaviour is different from update1 to update2. In update1 the app icon gets placed over the existing app icon, effectively replacing it. In update2 the app icon gets placed in the next available position due to the new positioning code, thus creating a new app icon each time. The new behaviour is not backward compatible. Not suggesting Simplmail is doing it right though.

So sounds like SimpleMail has fallen foul of a fix that fixed arrangement of icons, which should never overlap.

Quote:

Are applications supposed to remove the old app icon before creating a new one?

Yes, except in rare circumtances, sounds like simple mail is just piling them up on the same spot, slowing draining resources.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

Nice, I should have though of that. I'm using Marlon Beijers Docker image with 8.3 for cross-compiling, a very neat solution. I wouldn't mind having an SDK_Balbalba.lha though

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660

Quote:

@Capehill & kas1e

A-EOn Enhancer X-Dock 2.42 seems to be the culprit .

Sorry this thread is quite long and complex, so I'm not sure what this subthread is about.

What is X-Dock guilty of and how did you come to that conclusion.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Combination of X-Dock and third party program called CPU_Watcher (version 0.7) cause a lockup on my Sam460ex when using the copy menu in AmigaShell . No issue with the copy function if X-Dock is running but not CPU_Watcher. And no issue with the copy if CPU_Watcher is running but not X-Dock .

I was trying to duplicate the issue with the copy menu that
NinjaCyborg was having with his clean AMigaOS 4.1 Update 2.
Could not duplicate with my own clean Update 2.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660

What version of textclip-handler do you have installed? Could be unrelated but I have reported a bug with the latest version of this (53.3) that causes pasting to hang after writing to TEXTCLIP:0

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

version AmigaOS_4.1:L/textclip-handler full
textclip-handler 53.3 (08/25/2020).

Also occurs with v53.1

Go to top
Home away from home