Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

walkero, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

X5000 GPU
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hi

I have radeon RX GPU in my X5000, it is working well but older games that needs MiniGL (AvP, Quake etc) are not working here so I'm thinking to buy another R5 230 Radeon GPU. Is it compatible with MiniGL? Or would You recommend some other one?
Does it need any aditional drivers to buy from A-Eon?
I have Enhancer + and upgrade to 2.0 bought already
Can I have both gpus connected in MB and switch between them after reboot and by reconnecting monitor?
Is it worth buying it at all?

Thanks

Go to top
Re: X5000 GPU
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I can't answer if it possible to have 2 cards at the same time and switch between them, but i can say that if you want normal support of minigl and old warp3d right now together with warp3dNOVA and ogles2, then you need for sure go for some RadeonSI card.

At the moment if i remember things right, the best/fast card which have support of everything are R9 270X. I for myself have some r7-250 (marked as HD Verde), which proven to be good for everything on x5k.

Dunno about r5-230, go for r7-250 at minimum, and if possible r9-270x, but it cost twice more, if i remember right.

And you will need new driver for new card to make minigl and old warp3d works. I do not know if they come with Enhancer 2.0 (or with any Enhancer) probabaly not, and you need to buy it separately. On amistore called "RadeonHD SI warp3d driver" if i remember right.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@NoCache

It has been stated on the Hyperion board that it's not possible to put 2 graphics cards in the X5000 and use both on OS4.

Edit: Here's the link http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4111

Edited by daveyw on 2019/1/15 4:25:46
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@daveyw
Thanks for info, I didn't notice that :)

@kas1e
I was looking for some cheaper options without extra costs for drivers as I take it as temporary solution...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NoCache
If by temporary solution you mean waiting for support of old warp3d drivers for RadeonRX (and so to have working minigl ) then that can be easyly never hapoen. In amiga world better wait nothing and got what we have right now, or you will dissppointed and then rage-quit :)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e

so it seems that buying that RX card was failure, I should ask before I bought it... It looked like buying RX card was good way to go and I didn't know that minigl will not work :(

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@NoCache

Quote:
so it seems that buying that RX card was failure, I should ask before I bought it...

Don't shove the card into the bin just yet, I might buy it from you if you decide to get another card

The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NoCache

Judging by you starting this thread, I'm guessing that Wazp3D's experimental Warp3D Nova backend isn't performing well enough yet?

Answering your questions directly:
Quote:
I have radeon RX GPU in my X5000, it is working well but older games that needs MiniGL (AvP, Quake etc) are not working here so I'm thinking to buy another R5 230 Radeon GPU. Is it compatible with MiniGL?

No. That's an Evergreen card. Sadly, no 3D drivers were ever released for that series.

Quote:
Or would You recommend some other one?

The lowest cost one would be a Radeon R7 240.
NOTE: Avoid the R7 240D, as it's a 64-bit card with very low performance.

From the readme, the other choices are:
- Radeon HD 7750-7970 series graphics card (excluding the Radeon HD 7790)
- Radeon R7 240/250X/265
- Radeon R9 270/270X/280/280X

Quote:
Does it need any aditional drivers to buy from A-Eon?
I have Enhancer + and upgrade to 2.0 bought already

For legacy Warp3D and MiniGL support you'll need that W3D_SI driver, which is separate from the Enhancer pack.

Quote:
Can I have both gpus connected in MB and switch between them after reboot and by reconnecting monitor?

Others have already answered this.

Quote:
Is it worth buying it at all?

If you want to play existing MiniGL games and use software like Blender right now, then probably yes. We have no idea when Wazp3D's Warp3D Nova backend will be fully-featured, or when MiniGL Reloaded will be released.

We are slowly getting more games that use Warp3D Nova (via GLES2/GL4ES), but don't have updated GL4ES versions of all existing games yet.

Ultimately, whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to do.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Thanks for exhausting reply :)

Quote:

Judging by you starting this thread, I'm guessing that Wazp3D's experimental Warp3D Nova backend isn't performing well enough yet?

It seems to be very bugy at this state. It shows lots of artefatcts and it is slow, so unusable on things I've tried so far

Quote:

Ultimately, whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to do.

Basically everything... Play older/newer games, watch movies, development mainly for OGLES/W3D_Nova.. I thought the best option would be the Radeon RX but it is missing a lot of features at the moment

So the best option at this state regarding compatibility and features will be Radeon R7/R9 with W3D_SI drivers if I understand correctly?
Is it compatible also with W3D_Nova, or is this specific only for Radeon RX gpus?

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NoCache
Quote:

So the best option at this state regarding compatibility and features will be Radeon R7/R9 with W3D_SI drivers if I understand correctly?
Is it compatible also with W3D_Nova, or is this specific only for Radeon RX gpus?

Of course, as i told before when you got r7/r9 then _everything_ works for you. And old stuff, and new one (include ogles2 and warp3dnova of course). I have r250x and everything works (old warp3d, old minigl, gl4es, ogles2, warp3dnova, whatever else)

Hans do warp3dnova firstly for SI cards, only later for for RX ones.

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kas1e
ok, I just wanted to be sure before I buy something else :)

Thanks

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NoCache
Quote:
Basically everything... Play older/newer games, watch movies, development mainly for OGLES/W3D_Nova.. I thought the best option would be the Radeon RX but it is missing a lot of features at the moment

The only missing feature for Radeon RX is legacy Warp3D drivers. All other features are present,** and it comes with the bonus of dynamic power management (i.e., the GPU is clocked up and down based on GPU load).

The lack of legacy Warp3D drivers should be solved once Wazp3D's Warp3D Nova backend is finished and MGLReloaded is done.

Hans

** As in, it has everything that the RadeonHD.chip driver has, and There are also Warp3D Nova drivers.

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more.
https://keasigmadelta.com/ - more of my work
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Thanks guys...

One more question... My warp3d_nova library is version 1.58, tried to start Barony and got warning that supported version by Barony is 1.62 and above and that I should update.
I don't have any newer versions available for download though...

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@NoCache
It is harmless warning which we put in gl4es for future, everything will works with 1.58. (You will have same warning with prototype and frickingshark too)

AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Hans

Great work, thanks a lot!

Just purchased the Enhancer 2.2, and was wondering about Warp3D/MiniGL support now for the RX560/580. Is it possible to play MiniGL games now? Have those projects supporting it come to the rescue yet? :)
Or do I need to go back to the SI based cards (have an HD7970).

Olav

AmigaOne G3-SE : G3@667MHz, Radeon 9200 AGP 256MB, 2GB Reg 133MHz RAM, RTL8169 gigabit Ethernet, NEC USB 2.0, Sii0680/Sii3114, PS/2 keyboard and mouse
AmigaOne X5000 : P5040, Radeon RX580, 16GB Reg RAM, ESI Juli@
Both: AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2, Linux
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@monomango

Warp3D/MiniGl games on Radeon RX should be possible with the recently released NovaBridge software.

See here

Go to top

Register To Post