Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

The importance of SAM and ACK
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I make no bones about the fact that OS5 developments and hence getting their hands on OS4 code is personally very important to me.

But OS4 is a great OS, with X11 support, in a good position. If OS5 came out, especially if it was based on OS4, that would be my ideal computer (if of course it lives up to expectations).

However, OS4 is not doomed because there is an OS5 available, especially if the latter is directly based on OS4. I assume OS4 essentials would become the basis of ports to lots of different HW while OS4 would be tied to PPC.

I would also assume even where there is direct competition (ie on PPC based designs like the PS3, ACK and SAM) that OS5 effectively would become an add-on. In which case my perfect computer would be effectively OS4 with OS5 (perhaps renamed, or rather should be renamed - AmigaAnywhere).

Obviously all speculation.

ACK specs seem to be for a really good desktop machine (something I have a need). SAM could be a great little mini-desktop top (read slower, but more robust because of its passive cooling).

SAM would make also a superb domestic server (24/7 access), ACK would be severe overkill.

SAM has inbuilt graphics, ACK does not. SAM as a server, with a cheep screen is an ideal domestic server, especially if it was packed via PCI slots and on-board SATA with HDs

PS3 has now server lookup, as well as SONY OtherOS, getting AOS4 onto SONY OtherOS with good SONY gameOS underlying communications would rally bring PS3 into a new area, but for that a good easy to run and setup reliable domestic server is needed (ie SAM).

I hope people can see a complete picture or immense versatility without the Linux and MS overheads and hot burning CPUs.

Businesses, especially small ones, do not need giant servers. The PS3 offers an off the shelf processing hub, the ACK a desktop easily transformed for more demanding and diverse tasks.

Getting Hyperion, AI, and Acube together packs a powerful punch.

It is not a case of competing HW and OSes, but complimentary ones, if OS5 produces the small device runability it has promised, we are looking at something really interesting, small efficient and immensely useful.

Who knows we could give the big boys a real run for their money.

Go to top
Re: The importance of SAM and ACK
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GregS

PS I should also mention PSP as a really handy domestic device, which with wifi would make an excellent hand held controller (for TVs as well as waking up PS3 and access to domestic server files (like booking recordings etc).

If Sony was on side, OS4 available and OS5/AmigaAnywhere then the possibilities would be enormous, especially if REBOL was brought into the mix.

With the hovering court case, I hope at least this is the darkness before the dawn.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GregS

I agree that it needs to be released on ACUBE. I have my own opinions about the ACK thing that I probably should keep to myself.

New hardware, and cheap hardware, will breathe new life into the platform even if in computing terms it remains a minnow.

Mitch.

The court case is like a thunderstorm after a long humid summer.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@GregS

Quote:

GregS wrote:
I make no bones about the fact that OS5 developments and hence getting their hands on OS4 code is personally very important to me.

Didn't Mr McEwen say that AmigaphantasyOS5 will not be based on OS4? I am sure he said that it will be a completely new development.
If they would have done anything substantial for OS5, why would they still want OS4?
I am curious to hear a name of a single programmer who is supposedly working on OS5. Do you know any?

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mitch

Quote:

Mitch wrote:
@GregS

I agree that it needs to be released on ACUBE. I have my own opinions about the ACK thing that I probably should keep to myself.

We are in the too hot too handle forum, so don't mind stating opinions, even if they are negative! My opinion about the ACK thing is that it was announced, but at that time it was maybe only a concept. No doubt Amiga Inc required a positive announcement in view of the lawsuit. Otherwise a judge could easily get the impression that they are blocking OS4 to be released, don't really need it. With the announcement the can say "hey, we have this great hardware and now we want the OS that we paid for!" I have never seen anything, not even a photo from Adam Kowalczyk, so the only possibility is maybe that he buys some evaluation boards from Freescale.
Amiga Inc also made the announcement to calm down the peoples who were critical about them and said they want to kill AmigaOS. But this only worked out to a very limited extent.

But I agree with you, I also want OS4 on ACUBE the most of all options! But is there any chance for it to happen if Amiga Inc wins the lawsuit? Amiga Inc might feel that they betrayed them by collaborating with Hyperion without their consent. Amiga Inc also doesnt agree that they plan to release OS4 for the CyberstormPPC.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@GregS

Forgive me for keep harping on about domestic servers.

In despair I hot the internet, hoping to find a small OS and a passively cooled board to set up my domestic server.

Now there is probably something out there, but I did not find it, and what I did find I would not know how to go about it.

But with SAM OS4 (even a cut down version) and REBOL or LAU, I could get that working. Plus with its on board graphics, and at least on good fast PCI port, it is more than enough

A domestic server has to be passively cooled, and run 24/7 with as little power as possible.

A fan seems a simple thing, but it is a 50 cent technology capable of bringing a whole system down. Domestic servers should be started and largely forgotten, they will never be in ideal conditions ( a good box design with smart chimneys, that separates out the heat sources, simple air-filters and creates a steady draft - is a good idea).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Mitch

I feel badly for both ACube and ACK. I guess ACube went into this knowing they might not get a license, and I understand that they have plans to sell SAM in other markets -- so maybe they will still come out of this okay.

I'm not sure what to feel as regards Adam (ACK). I hope he has a thick skin, because he certainly is going to get a lot of abuse from users. And I sure hope that Amiga Inc is paying him some good solid cash to carry out this "charade".

Adam has no chance at all of making good on the announced plans, IMHO. He has said the small board would be available this summer. Who really thinks the lawsuit will be completed by then, and even if was over there is the little problem of having AOS4 ready to go on the board at that time, with drivers written and everything. Ditto for the big board, which is expected late next autumn/winter. And all of this assumes that Amiga Inc wins the trial, and that the developers agree to work for AI and fror ACK.

I'm not getting down on Adam. I feel somewhat sorry for him. I just think his announced plans are completely unrealistic considering the present situation. Actually, I tend to think that this is all posturing by AI for the lawsuit.

Regards,
Don Feldbruegge

Go to top

Register To Post