Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
PUZZLE: How to launch a custom script during first OS41FE boot?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Strange question. Right :) I am experimenting with OS4 emulation and I would like to make the installation process more automated for beginners.

I have an hardfile with a script. I want to launch this script right after the OS41FE Classic is installed to this hardfile and the system starts from it for the first time.

Is that possible?

On OS3.x, I would simply place the script to WBStartup... but there is no such drawer in OS4 :)

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Edited by AmiKit on 2017/2/5 20:55:05
Go to top
Re: How to launch script automatically right after OS41FE install?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@AmiKit

Go to SYS:Prefs run WBStartup.

Add your script or program to the list.

It's all.

Virginio

AmigaOne X5000 OS4.1 FEU1 And Lubuntu 10.04
1200 towered with Blizzard PPC - BVision and Mediator
And a new fantastic Chameleon64
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@RIBDEVIL

That's NOT what I asked for :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@amikit
Probably it still what RIBDEVIL say, i.e. in os3 it was "On OS3.x, I would simply place the script to WBStartup... but there is no such drawer in OS4 :)" , on os4 that driver removed, and instead WBStartup tool is used, where you write what you want to run and from where manually. I.e. in os3 you put what you need to driver, on os4 you write what you need to run in prefs:wbstartup.

Join us to improve dopus5!
AmigaOS4 on youtube
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@kas1e

The problem is that any of my custom wbstartup.prefs gets overwritten by the OS4 installation process.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@AmiKit

I'm not sure what you are asking for.

You said the "Startup" drawer is not there. We use sys:prefs/wbstartup instead of the startup drawer.

But that will run after EVERY startup.

If you want to run once, after the OS is installed, that would be called from the same script that called the OS installer.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Maybe I was not clear enough. Here's the puzzle:

1. I have hardfile with my script
2. I boot the original BootFloppy.adf which runs the installer from the original AmigaOS4.1FE ISO
3. I install the OS to the hardfile (without formatting it), the installer reboots when finished
4. the OS4 boots from the hardfile

The question is how can I make this clean OS launch my script while the OS is booting for the first time?

I tried to copy my own SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/wbstartup.prefs to the hardfile BEFORE the OS got installed on it, but the file was overwritten during the OS installation and replaced by the default one.

I also tried to remove a "D" attribute of my wbstartup.prefs so it could not be deleted/overwritten, but the OS installer did not like it and rebooted instead of finishing the installation.

Is there any other way of launching my script? I guess my own s:user-startup would get overwritten too...

Go to top
Re: PUZZLE: How to launch a custom script during first OS41FE boot?
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
You add your script to the WBStartup with WBStartupCTRL from the installation tool. When the system boots, the script will be run, and the last thing the script should do is remove itself again using the WBStartupCTRL tool.

This is how the post install stuff is done on the OS4 Install CD.

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
http://codebench.co.uk
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Thanks Simon, but that's not the solution either.

In the 4 steps described above I have no chance to launch WBStartupCTRL or any other program. That's the essence of this puzzle, actually.

All I have is the hardfile to which I can copy some files BEFORE the OS installation takes place.

In OS3.x, I would create a WBStartup drawer on an empty hardfile and copy my script there. And then let the OS install itself. Then my script would be launched automatically even with "clean" OS install.

But what about OS4, is there any chance to execute a file which was present on the hardfile BEFORE the OS installation?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Can you not create the wbstartup.prefs on a running installation and copy that to the hardfile via the installer?

Simon

Comments made in any post are personal opinion, and are in no-way representative of any commercial entity unless specifically stated as such.
----
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Yes, I can create the wbstartup.prefs using my running installation anytime. And I can copy it to the empty hardfile easily.

But then, when the original installer starts installing OS on that hardfile, my wbstartup.prefs is overwritten.

And I am afraid I cannot change the original installer - especially when it's located on ISO.

So I think this wbstartup.prefs thingy is a dead end. Is there any other way?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
can you copy over the custom prefs after the installation finishes?

Luckily for you, the system falls back to using the WBStartup drawer if it exists. I guess the solution could be to create that drawer, put your script in it, and when the new installation is run for the first time, it will run the script. The script should then delete itself AND the wbstartup drawer. On the next reboot, the system will boot normally.

Simon

----
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Quote:
can you copy over the custom prefs after the installation finishes?

I cannot, the OS installer reboots right after it's finished with the installation.

Quote:
Luckily for you, the system falls back to using the WBStartup drawer if it exists.

I almost yelled Hooray! But it seems the system falls back to using the WBStartup drawer if it exists AND the wbstartup.prefs does not exist at the same time...

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
Right, then I'm sorry, but it looks like there's not much more that can be done. What you are proposing is beyond the scope of the design.

Simon

----
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Rigo

Anyway, thanks for your ideas, Simon.

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@AmiKit

Can you not simply put a left out icon on the workbench, saying click here to install amikit extras ?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@broadblues

Yes, it's like that. I just wanted to make it automated. The reason is that OS4 boots to ugly grey Workbench without drivers. Those are delivered to the system by my script, you know.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit

Can't you write protect the file so that the OS4 installation doesn't overwrite it?

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

I tried. The OS installer doesn't like it and reboots.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@AmiKit
I don't have a classic Amiga to test it with but this might be possible:

Assuming that the installer is rebooting by calling the OS3 exec ColdReboot() function, write a program that patches the exec ColdReboot() function with code that returns without doing anything. Add that program to the startup-sequence on BootFloppy.adf; placing it just above the line that starts the Installation call. When the reboot doesn't do anything in the Installer, control should return to the startup-sequence on BootFloppy.adf, allowing you to add whatever you want below the Installation call. You should add a program that removes the ColdReboot() patch and calls the real ColdReboot() function so the system works normally.

If you're bold enough to try the wild idea above, you're on your own and don't blame me if your Amiga explodes or crashes. As I mentioned, I don't have a classic Amiga to test the above procedure.

Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »