Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Some sneaky X5000 news!
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hyperion announced their DevCon plans at AmiWest 2016, and managed to slip in a bit of X5000 news:
http://blog.hyperion-entertainment.biz/?p=1252

Quote:
The anatomy of an Amiga disk device driver. We will be dissecting the p5020sata.device which is a SATA device driver used in the upcoming AmigaOne X5000. This isn’t just any custom made driver. It is melding between Linux libata and the traditional AmigaOS trackdisk device drivers.

The trackdisk.device seems like a strange choice for SATA, but I assume there must be some underlying similarity with how Linux does it. In any case, the ability to use device driver code from Linux seems like a big deal, even if it requires a fair bit of work (e.g. endian headaches).

I have no idea what is holding-up the release of the X5000, but this brings a bit of hope there might be some X5000 news at AmiWest. (Although I doubt it'll be "It's done", unless the timing of AmiWest was very very lucky. At least this seems to suggest that the SATA driver for the X5000 is mostly completed, even if not fully debugged.)

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Re: Some sneaky X5000 news!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Spectre660
Thanks. Sounds like SATA is finished then:
Quote:
the SATA driver for the Cyrus board, developed steadfastly by Steven Solie is mature and working well. He has done some impressive work and spent many countless hours bringing up this driver.

I wonder what else needs to be finished...

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ChrisH

All block storage device drivers in AmigaOS implement the "trackdisk device" API. The class of device is called after the trackdisk device AFAIK only because this was the first driver to implement this API.

Edited by salass00 on 2016/9/18 17:36:11
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Here's some more sneaking "news"

From the thread "Is the pre-order for X5000 going to start?":

Quote:

To all interested, OS4.1 for AmigaOne X5000 is on track and you can except some news soon on this. And soon means soon !

Source: Linky

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
http://m4rko.com/AMIGA
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Marko
That "news" comes from SimplePPC. Is (s)he officially related to Hyperion in some way?

If true then this seems heavily suggestive we can expect some kind of X5000 announcement at AmiWest 2016.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

I think he is Timothy DeGroote, a Hyperion director and shareholder. At least according to cgutjahr on AW.net, I haven't double checked SimplePPC's email yet though, but it's pretty likely...

AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on Sam440ep-flex, 800Mhz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9250 Resized Image
A1200/040, 2+4MB, external 3.5''HDD / A1200 (spare) / A500+ (sold) / C128 (sold)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Marko
Why should "degrootet@base.be" be any more proof than (say) degrootet@gmail.com or hyperion-entertainment@gmail.com ?

I would have expected some kind of "@hyperion-entertainment.biz" email address.

edit: Seems the email address MIGHT be associated with Timothy DeGroote, but it's not exactly crystal clear.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@ChrisH

Please check: AW.net post

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
it seems things around X5000 become serious

one user on a1k who preordered X5000 wrote that he was told to prepay parts of the price

the price for motherboard: 1700 EUR
Full system: 2300-2500 EUR

It is the dual-core system

there are some controversial discussions now on a1k about it

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
2,500 Euro?.... HOLY CROW!

That is ~$3,691.50 Canadian, and who knows how much more the criminal governments will tack on in import charges to boot (not even going to mention the extortionate shipping charges. Hmmm, I just did).

Nonetheless, if I had the money, I'd buy the quad-core that they are going to release later, as this is not money that that I would be unwilling to part with as I've spent more than that in the past on a single computer purchase. However, I'm not sure that I will ever in my entire life see that much money again, all at once in one place that belongs to ME!!!!

So, it might just not happen. (((

I highly encourage that anyone that can participate in the resuscitation of AMIGA, please, please do!

The supreme dominance of win-dos seems to be crumbling because people are switching to, seeing that desktops aren't as necessary anymore, tablets and cellphones that can nearly do everything. But I know that a market for desktops will remain for many many years into the future as tablets and cellphones are more like "toy computers" because they control YOU and the WAY that you compute (if you can call it that on those things).

win-dos will still make and be worth billions and billions, but let's do anything that we can to fragment them further into oblivion!!!!

Support Amiga Fantasy cases!!!
How to program: 1. Start with lots and lots of 0's. 10. Add 1's, liberally.
"Details for OS 5 will be made public in the fourth quarter of 2007, ..." - Bill McEwen
Whoah!!! He spoke, a bit late.
Go to top

Register To Post