Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Classic Amiga PARNET on OS4 is it possible?
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hey guys
i'm wondering if its possible to link my Peg2 OS 4.1 u6 to my amiga via PARNET parallel port cable and software?

Go to top
Re: Classic Amiga PARNET on OS4 is it possible?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
All you can do is try it but somehow I don't think it will work. I expect for speed that software will be hitting the parallel port hardware directly. Depending what amiga you have, serial might actually be faster eg. via a silver surfer or multiface III card or similar. Netfs via ethernet is the best option though.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Isn't the pinout from the ports a little different ? I can remember to had to buy a special parallel cable for my Epson scanner.

Proud Member Of The Belgian Amiga Club Since 2003
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information

Proud Member Of The Belgian Amiga Club Since 2003
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
thanks for the replies guys thats what i thought that PARNET bangs the metal on classics. I guess SERNET could be an option. I dont have networking on the amiga its an a4000

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@magnetic

What *does* work is a classic nullmodem serial connection and a terminal program. I did this with my Pegasos II and my Amiga 2000 systems. You can use Term (remember a updated bgui.library!), Termie or Transfer_S (see Aminet and/or OS4Depot). Beware: Both my Amiga 2000 feature Multiface cards - I won't recommend the internal serial port of the Amigas...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@magnetic

the best Parnet compatible/equivalent would be the project package as it offers both parallel and serial link options (also a special floppy port option)

However...

The catch with any non-68K Amiga system 'compatible regardless of the machine is this...

Amiga 68K system parallel ports include the equivalent of SCSI termination resistor packs on the port lines,
Mac / Pegasos / sam440 / X1000 and other machines all use PC equivalent ports which lack this crucial electronics difference.

This difference is one of the key factors making parnet possible electronically.

If anyone wishes to provide a "fixed" parallel port card with an updated parent/project device setup?

I recall at some point seeing some claimed parnet sources...
if anyone can track those down or the above project sources
it may be possible to build on that for an updated parnet?

Go to top

Register To Post