Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
199 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

tekmage, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Changing system language Possible ?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Is changing system language possible without reinstall?

Go to top
Re: Changing system language Possible ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Have you tried using Sys:Prefs/Locale ?

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes, but obvously not as i should: you have first to delete the chosen system language, before you can chose an other.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
That's correct. What you choose in Locale prefs is actually a list (in preferred order) of languages you want to use. (The first one you choose also sets the system charset, which is why the list is filtered after the first choice.)

You could just have added the language you wanted to the list, but if catalogs exist for the previous language, they would be used instead, as it would be higher on your preferred list.

So if you want all texts to change to another language, you have to clear previously selected languages from your preferred language list and then select the new one.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
AFAIK the preferred language list works like a "fallback language list". If the first preferred isn't available, the next in the list is choosen. I.e. Someone might have "Danish" as the preferred language and if it is not available it will choose "Swedish" as the next one...and so on...

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Exactly.

The check is made for each program you run which is localized, so if you have Danish catalogs for program X, it will use Danish, and if you have no Danish catalogs for program Y, but you do have Swedish ones, that program will use Swedish (following your example where the assumption is that the preferred language list contains Danish followed by Swedish).

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Is there anyway to flush the already loaded .catalogs?
I was trying to track a problem with a catalog the other day and I found the following:
1. Avail flush won`t flush an already loaded catalog.
2. Scout Catalogs has just an update option, no remove. Flush all (A+.) won`t remove it either.
3. Changing Locale settings to another language after clearing the language list, just adds the new language catalog, won`t remove the old one!

Suggestions?

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
AFAIK the preferred language list works like a "fallback language list". If the first preferred isn't available, the next in the list is choosen. I.e. Someone might have "Danish" as the preferred language and if it is not available it will choose "Swedish" as the next one...and so on...

That's correct, however it's slightly broken. I can't remember the exact details (there's a thread on it somewhere), but if you add English (British), English and German (in that order), some programs will show up in English and others will show up in German - even though they all have English as a built-in language. This is with system-provided applications - Notepad, Workbench, etc.

edit This is the thread: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=359
I didn't realise it was that long ago, need to check whether it has been fixed now.

edit2 Yes, it has been fixed.

edit3 No it hasn't.

Edited by Chris on 2013/3/26 19:52:15
Edited by Chris on 2013/3/27 18:43:22
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Cass wrote:
Is there anyway to flush the already loaded .catalogs?
I was trying to track a problem with a catalog the other day and I found the following:
1. Avail flush won`t flush an already loaded catalog.
2. Scout Catalogs has just an update option, no remove. Flush all (A+.) won`t remove it either.
3. Changing Locale settings to another language after clearing the language list, just adds the new language catalog, won`t remove the old one!

Suggestions?

I'd like to know this, too. In OS 3.x you could do Avail flush, but since 4.0 this no longer works.

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
Quote:

thomas wrote:
I'd like to know this, too. In OS 3.x you could do Avail flush, but since 4.0 this no longer works.

Try "expunge all"

Although I'm not sure what you are both trying to achieve. If an app doesn't dynamically pick up a language change, then quitting and re-launching it should fix that.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Quote:

Chris wrote:
Quote:

thomas wrote:

Try "expunge all"

Although I'm not sure what you are both trying to achieve. If an app doesn't dynamically pick up a language change, then quitting and re-launching it should fix that.

afaik this is not (always) true. the catalogs are cached by locale.library.
when i translate a catalog to german and am testing it it is *never* enough to just quit and restart the app.
i need a
APPDIR:Expunge locale.library
to let the current version load.

regards...
michael

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@ Chris

Thanks, it worked!

Had I known this earlier, it could have saved me precious time (and lots of resets).
I was trying to make work a greek catalog with the latest YAM version and got persistent errors regarding the catalog-program matching.

Go to top

Register To Post