Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 46

TiredOfLife, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Rebol,Skype, Scripit, Gui4Cli
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
We did not hear much about Rebol since AmiWest last year; nobody working on something?
I recently learned that using skype you could easily show programs functioning in some window, and comment on them while using the program. (or show some texts , pointing to a line or word.

This seems great for developers, for asking questions about usage, showing problems etc.

Since we don't have Skype, how difficult would it be to develop a scheme allowing point to point (animated) "window" showing & sound using Rebol? No need to have webcams involved for this functionality.
Allready a much simpler program combining a chat possibility and sequential showing of window content would be great.

Anybody experience and advice about this ?

Added 20 may
Having looked more into Rebol, it looks to me that the main problem is presently the Rebol/View for Rebol 3 that is still under development.
When that is solved, rhe minimal solution i see would be centered on showing some gui based development (not necessarily under Rebol) to an intrested party (using a non Amiga system/or Amiga(-like) system)
I suppose the 'chat' rebol program could provide solve the needed duplex txt interaction. Sending over successive window grabs after each manipulation could be done manually and no duplex channel is needed.
Since the idea is to promote Amiga programs, no need initially to have the same possibility say on the PC side.
For a stable release under OS3 i would have used Gui4Cli and Scripit (fails under OS4) to address buttons and other gadgets ans simultaneously taking a grab and sending it. If there is an arexx command executing for every gui element, this simultaneous execution and sending is even more simple to realise. In fact for a development written in event driven Gui4Cli , adding some grabbing (Sgrab has an arexx port) and sending subroutinecall to every event(gadget) would do the trick. I guess you could do the same for a number of event driven languages (eg Rebol, Javascript, ...).
It seems that i need something as the PRT: device to which i could dump the sequential grabs, and 'prints' them on the correspondent's screen.
From here i am floating. Rebol? Protocol's that could handle this?

-

Edited by JosDuchIt on 2011/5/20 6:29:43
Edited by JosDuchIt on 2011/5/20 6:31:02
Go to top
Re: Rebol
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
ssolie would be your best bet with REBOL

He is the maintainer/porter of the REBOL 3 AmigaOS4 port iirc

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ JosDuchIt

http://ekiga.org/

Looks like a nice skype kinda thing. But most likely dependencies we lack and maybe never will get,

@raziel

I thought that the rebol guy himself did the port? Or did i get totally off grid?

X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
CarlS did the port to the OS but it is not fully functional on the hardware yet.
At least as far as the last time I used it.

The language works with OS4, but I believe Ssolie has taken the job of getting
all the parts to work on/with the various hardware, and right now he is a pretty busy
fellow. It will get done.

I'm not sure if it can do the same as skype, but maybe with some tweeking..........

A1-X1000
Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
REBOL 3 is still being worked on as can be seen at the web site. Also note the Amiga version is fully up to date. If you'd like to know more about the Amiga version of REBOL in particular then feel free to email me.

ExecSG Team Lead
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@ssolie

It is great to hear Rebol 3 for OS4 is fully up to date.
Thanks for your efforts.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

ssolie wrote:
REBOL 3 is still being worked on as can be seen at the web site.

AAAAAaaaaggggg! I can't believe I just did that. (sob)

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.....uck!

Before I start reloading AmigaOS I would like to report that the latest
version of R3 is working with the hardware networking devices. My brain
however seems to be elsewhere.

Nice work ssolie.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
slightly OT

Does someone have interest in AltME?

It would be nice to have it on OS4.
I contacted them a few times asking for an Amiga port, but sadly no-one bothered to reply..

I used the feedback form on the www.altme.com website.

Maybe a few more people should ehm.. "poke" them.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:

Amigo1 wrote:
slightly OT

Does someone have interest in AltME?

Of course more apps are better, but I think we can do the same type of things with Rebol.

Just my POV.

A1-X1000
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@amig01
thanks for the hint.
@mechanic AltMe is written in Rebol. I think it is an interesting app and as suggested by amigo1, a bit of poking could help.
As for the minimal application i described in my updated initial thread message: I think it might work with AltMe. I'll try it out on a PC

Go to top
Re: Rebol,Skype, Scripit, Gui4Cli
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@all

I did send the following message to AltMe

"Hello,

I think the Amiga community is pretty well aware of Rebol, and as Carl has released an alpha or R3 for the AOS4.1 plarform we are now waiting for the release of a compatible Rebol/view. (I guess using 2.8.7 does not work)

I have one specific suggestion: have a possibility when a user is present, to send him quickly succesive versions of some screen or window grab, rendered successively in the viewer. At the receiver's end the viewer should react on a file "notify" event and update its window.
At the sender's end some short comment message should also trigger the sending of the new grab.

Hope you find this usefull. It would allow developers to show the functioning of their software to interested users or co-developers. Other applications will be plenty (especially on th Amiga and other platforms lacking Skype.) "
"
Would be nice if others show AltMe some interest

Go to top

Register To Post