Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Sam and OS4.1
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Hi everyone,

Is there a guide somewhere I could use to install OS4.1 on my SAM?

I have got a SAM440ep and a Flex but they have been "asleep" for a bit (I have just been using them to test my X500 Plus case) but I would now like to start using them again and I need to do a fresh installation of the OS.

What is a good way to proceed?

What is best to use on the SAM440ep the onboard graphics card or a Radeon 9200-9250 PCI?

Which filesystem do I choose?

How many updates do I have to install after installing the OS from the CD?

Can I install a bigger memory stick in the SAM440ep?

Sorry about all the questions I have been away for a bit (I have been fighting redundancy for the last few months...not nice.).

Thank you.

Go to top
Re: Sam and OS4.1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TheDaddy

You should have a manual with it....

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Elwood

I have got one but what about the other questions?

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@TheDaddy

http://www.ngi-info.com/downloads/Ami ... _4.1_Sam440EP_English.pdf

What is best to use on the SAM440ep the onboard graphics card or a Radeon 9200-9250 PCI?

onboard gfx (66 mhz).

SFS00.

How many updates do I have to install after installing the OS from the CD?

AOS4.1 U1 and U2.

Can I install a bigger memory stick in the SAM440ep?

512 mb memory for SAM and 1go for SAM flex.

What about news for your X500 case ???

A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+IIYAMA 17"+CD,CDRW,ZIP SCSI-KIT
SAM440EP on Mapower 3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disk Preservation Project
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Mrodfr

Hi and thank you for the answers!

>>What is best to use on the SAM440ep the onboard >>graphics card or a Radeon 9200-9250 PCI?
>>onboard gfx (66 mhz).

Why is that?

>>Which filesystem do I choose?
>>SFS00.

Could you tell me the technical part behind this choice please? Why is it better than the other filesystems...just to know.

>>What about news for your X500 case ???

The X500 Plus is taking longer than expected as I had to stop testing and development for a few months due to the fact that at one point I was going to lose my job (redundancy) but now things seem to be ok again...phew!

I'll post some photos soon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TheDaddy

I'd go with SFS02 for DH0: and JXFS for all other partitions..that's the fastest combo....I personally have SFS02 on all my partitions with no problems and its very quick and reliable but will go JXFS on the next update

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Mrodfr

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
onboard gfx (66 mhz).

No way, get a pci R9250 128mb unless you don't want to use a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024

Quote:
SFS00.

Again this depends on your setup, yes I agree with SFS but if you install a big drive (>300gb and 1tb drives are <?50 now) you will want SFS02 unless you want loads of partitions. SFS00 only supports 128gb. I use SFS00 for my boot partition and SFS02 for the rest (apart from a few small ffs & jxfs partitions for beta testing)

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts

>>I'd go with SFS02 for DH0: and JXFS for all other partitions..that's the fastest combo....I personally have SFS02 on all my partitions with no problems and its very quick and reliable but will go JXFS on the next update

Great to know, thanks!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@328gts

Be careful with jxfs, compared to sfs it's a little unstable. I've lost a lot of data on jxfs partitions over the years, partly due to a problem with my micro and not all due to the filesystem though. I suggest you just try one partition that you backup regularly for a couple of months to see how well your machine handles jxfs. Also remember that jxfs is not intended for small partitions (<1gb) or large partitions (>128gb)

I used it for a 100mb partition for my ibrowse caches, it trashed itself about once a week.

My advice is to give it a good test before committing any precious data to it which you should do when trying any new filesystem anyway.

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

>>No way, get a pci R9250 128mb unless you don't want to use a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024

OK so a Radeon 128MB PCI is better than the onboard one because of the amount of Ram on it but less speedy (33MHz)...thanks

>>Again this depends on your setup, yes I agree with SFS but if you install a big drive (>300gb and 1tb drives are <?50 now) you will want SFS02 unless you want loads of partitions. SFS00 only supports 128gb. I use SFS00 for my boot partition and SFS02 for the rest (apart from a few small ffs & jxfs partitions for beta testing)

So for a big drive SF02.

SF00 for Workbench and SF02 for Work and the rest. Thanks!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TheDaddy

Quote:

TheDaddy wrote:
@Severin

OK so a Radeon 128MB PCI is better than the onboard one because of the amount of Ram on it but less speedy (33MHz)...thanks

The biggest point for making your descision should be "Do I need the slot for something else?"

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Severin

>>The biggest point for making your descision should be "Do I need the slot for something else?"

I don't think I need the slot for anything else...sound and ethernet are onboard so if the Radeon 9200/9250 are better than the onboard graphics card then I would use it for that.

Has anyone done any real life speed tests between the Radeon 9250 and the onboard cards?

It's obvious that the memory favours the 9250 but what about speed in games for example, Quake etc...screen dragging and screen updating?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TheDaddy

Quote:
SF00 for Workbench and SF02 for Work and the rest.

Using SFS0 is interesting for only one thing, transfering data between OS4 and OS3. If you don't need to do this then use SFS2.

Philippe 'Elwood' FERRUCCI
Sam460ex 1.10 Ghz
http://elwoodb.free.fr
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@Elwood

Thanks

Edited by TheDaddy on 2010/8/5 21:34:08
Edited by TheDaddy on 2010/8/5 21:38:49
Edited by TheDaddy on 2010/8/7 20:48:15
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Do you use an antivirus (do any of the old virus work on OS4?)

And do I have to do anything DMA related if I want to play DVDs? Some people reported DVDs playing slowly?!

Thanks

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TheDaddy

At time of writing, I can tell you that you don't need any kind of anti-virus software for AmigaOS 4

Regarding DMA, you shouldn't have to do anything. To be sure, post the result of the cli command : idetool -l sii3114ide.device

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Severin

Quote:
Also remember that jxfs is not intended for small partitions (<1gb) or large partitions (>128gb)

That might explain why I have had intermittant issues with my 250 GB WD hard drive since I added a 190 GB JXFS parition about a year ago.

As far as I can remember my 35 GB JXFS partition has never given me any problems.

---
redfox
MicroA1 + OS4.1 Update 2

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Elwood

SFS/0 helps also to work more fluent on a PegasosII with both OS4.1 and MorphOS2.5 - both are able to access this partitions (excluding the old FFS).

X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Go to top

Register To Post