Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Is there any other way to install os4 if you dont have a dvd drive or usb dvd ?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Im thinking usb stick, network install if so how? Topic says it all really :0(

Go to top
Re: Is there any other way to install os4 if you dont have a dvd drive or usb dvd ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I think you can use usb stick on the sam. I think someone reported this.

X5000
Go to top
Re: Is there any other way to install os4 if you dont have a dvd drive or usb dvd ?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Ok i can do that but do i need to extract the update 1 iso to the usb stick? Or just copy the iso over?

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Copying the individual files would make more sense.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Why the hell diddnt I even think of this before would of saved me a few pennies Oh well live and learn fingures crossed Ill report back once *hopefully* ill have it working :)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

Thematic wrote:
Copying the individual files would make more sense.
Well, since Update 1 comes as an ISO, this means that the ISO has to be burned to a CD-R(W) first - or mounted with DiskImageDevice or similar. Also, I think you might need to rename the USB volume to the same name as the CD has. And I have to admit I didn't try this, so I'm not sure it will work. At least you have to be able to make it boot from that USB disk. It might need to have an RDB and have the slb installed?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:
At least you have to be able to make it boot from that USB disk. It might need to have an RDB and have the slb installed?

In other words, you might need an already-working OS4 machine to make a suitable bootable USB stick to install OS4!!! So this might not be viable for Magic.

Author of the PortablE programming language.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Well thats buggerd my idea up then. I wish OS4 had a network install option, would of saved some hassle.

So in a nutt shell, im back to square 1 an empty sam with no os :(

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

magic wrote:
Well thats buggerd my idea up then. I wish OS4 had a network install option, would of saved some hassle.

So in a nutt shell, im back to square 1 an empty sam with no os :(
Note that I am not sure about having to have an RDB on the stick etc. If someone else can confirm my guess, believe it, otherwise don't take my word for it, try it!

Alternatively, can't you find a SATA optical drive (CD or DVD) to connect, even if just temporarily and with the case open if necessary?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Plug the HDD into a PC and use UAE to partition it and copy over all the os4 install files to an installpartition then you can boot from that. :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Yaroze
ONLY if OS4 doesn't require an SLB to be installed in the RDB (which is an OS4-only thing).

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
And unfortunately, it does.

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Magic, following our yesterday IRC conversation, here are the tests I have done:

- First I activate USB boot on Sam440ep in uboot. This can be done by entering these commands in uboot shell :
setenv scan_usb_storage 1
saveenv

- Put the orginal 4.1 CD in a Linux box and do the following command :
dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sde

But it does'nt works... I read that USB boot on Sam440ep is a bit capricious and I tried several USB keys. Sometimes uboot freezes, sometimes no slb is found... (the key is bootable and functional once the kernel is loaded).

I don't know if it's possible to add the slb on a usbkey without an OS4 system.

By the way did you check if the optical drive is plugged on port 3 and HardDrive on port 0? Is your Amiga OS4.1 CD an original? did you tried to burn it again at slow speed?

I will check how to make usbsticks bootable on Sam440ep with OS4...

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Why doesn't Magic just use a CD/DVD drive to install OS4? Almost any SATA CD/DVD drive will work, and it is the officially supported way.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Because everyone so far I have tried doesn't work! Otherwise I wouldn't be in this mess

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:

magic wrote:
Because everyone so far I have tried doesn't work! Otherwise I wouldn't be in this mess
That sounds really strange. I haven't heard about such problems with SATA CD/DVD drives on Sam440ep before. I'd be tempted to say that there must be something else wrong.

Which drives have you tried, and how did you connect them?

Best regards,

Niels

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Magic :

Could you confirm this please, so we could abandon the optical sata possibility :

- Check optical drive is plugged on port 3 and HardDrive on port 0? (it won't function otherwise)
- Is your Amiga OS4.1 CD an original? Maybe it's not the Update 1, it's could be a 4.1 beta CD (home burned CD are harder to read that 'pressed' one.
- Did you tried to burn it again at slow speed?

A1200PPC/Sam440ep/Sam460ex/X1000/X5020 OS4.1
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
You can also boot a SATA DVD drive connected to port 0.

Just plug the drive into the connector closest to the
center of the board (port 0).

Power on. Insert the bootable CD. When the computer fails
to boot with the 'no slb' message, hit a key and at the
] prompt type menu and hit Enter.

Down arrow to Boot Sequence, Enter. Down to OS Multiboot
Options, Enter. Again Enter for Boot Device 1. Select 440
SATA DVD, Enter.

Now hit the Esc key 3 times and down to Use settings for
this session only, Enter. That should return you to a
prompt. Now type boota and Enter. The DVD drive should
now boot.