Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »
Re: OS4.1 bugs
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@TSK

I just clean installed OS4.1. The most noticable, annoying, and debilitating bug in OS4.1 is opening windows. Opening windows brings up the Grim Reaper with a DSI exception. Being that no one has reported this bug before, I am assuming that my situation is unique. I would like to find out what is wrong and how to fix the problem so I may actually use OS4.1. Here is the Workbench crash log...

*edit*
Please all, refrain from posting crashlogs to the forums.
There is a perfectly fine to way to link to the crashlog site of os4depot.net even if the program does not exist there originally. I believe orgin won't mind as long as it's an OS4 based program.

Better than messing up the forums anyway
*edit*

Edited by Raziel on 2008/12/25 9:09:39
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@interrogative

I haven't seen that kind of crash...but have seen enough on the SAM that I haven't installed much software, etc.---I got other gurus that are just as fustrating...haven't really heard much response with these....

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... t_id=28055#forumpost28055

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@my_pc_is_amiga

Quote:

1) Fonts prefs when scaling smaller, window gets corrupted (preview has dark grey background instead of picture). See corrupted graphics here: http://www.amigans.net/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=198&cid=5

Can't reproduce that neither on SAM nor on my A1.

Quote:

2) Hard to reproduce consisetnly but seems to mostly coming from the same pointer. Intuition.library crash logs:

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/?function=view&crashlogid=87

http://crashlog.os4depot.net/?function=view&crashlogid=88

Crashlogs are fine, nifty and usefull.. but you have to provide a good description of how such a crash can be reproduced, ie. a step-by-step guide. We don't have any crystal balls handy nor the time to try a thousand of possibilities how a crash somewhere in the system might happen.

AmigaOS 4 core developer
www.os4welt.de - Die deutsche AmigaOS 4 Gemeinschaft

"In the beginning was CAOS.."
-- Andy Finkel, 1988 (ViewPort article, Oct. 1993)
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@interrogative

Are you saying that your system is crashing with a DSI only by opening e.g. the RAM Disk drawer?

And that is happening with a very clean OS4.1 install? No other 3rd party stuff installed?

Thats almost impossible. If there were any such serious bugs, the installation already would have crashed as it is using the very same components which are then installed onto harddisk. So please verify that everything is OK if you boot from the 4.1 CD, i.e. no crashes.

If so, then you definitely don't have a "clean" OS4.1 install on your harddisk.

If you experience crashes already on the from-CD-booted Workbench, then there might really be a problem..

In any case it might be worth to check the usual suspects anyway: battery, memory, cooling of CPU and graphicscard.

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@interrogative

JXF:DH1 (Waiting)

Waiting for what?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Cyborg

It is indeed a clean install without anything else installed (no games, no apps, or anything but AmigaOS4.1 on the entire hard disk). It did not crash when booting from the AmigaOS4.1 CD. The only bug I noticed from the CDROM is when I was partitioning the hard drive. I wanted to try the autopartition feature, but it failed giving a message that the file did not exist. The CDROM did not have a template for autopartitioning the hard drive (I manually searched everywhere on the CDROM for the file, but could not find it.); therefore, I partitioned the hard drive by myself according to the guidelines set in the AmigaOS4.1 manual.

My AmigaOneXE does not crash when opening the RAM disk, nor when opening my Work: partition. It only crashes when opening my System: partition (DH0:) and any drawers within the partition. I have the System: partition formatted as SFS/0 with 512 being the block size. My Work: partition (DH1:) is formatted as JXFS with 512 being the block size. I reply to Snuffy, I do not know what it is waiting for, or if it has something to do with my System: partition woes. My SWAP is a SWAP partition also set according to the appropriate block size (being that I am typing on my in-laws pc over100 miles from my AmigaOne XE, I do not remember the block size. I just remember setting it exactly according to the manual).

My battery is new. My Kingston registered memory has never given me problems before now. I have never overclocked my 800mhz CPU, though I guess it is possible to overheat. It would seem odd that it would just now be overheating after three years of use. My graphics card is a Radeon 7000, but I did not choose to have transparency turned on, choosing rather the OS4.0 theme until I can afford a Radeon 9250.

If this is not enough info to solve the problem, then I'll try reformatting the partitions and reinstalling OS4.1.

The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@moderator

Thank you for letting me know about the crashlog site. I'll post the problem there. I hope to find the solution to the problem soon. Perhaps I need to set up my System: partition in FFS2 rather than SFS?

edit: I just noticed the log is already there. Thanks.

-The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Snuffy

The 'waiting' here means the task is in a state that it is waiting for an event to happen (i.e. a message on a port, a user input in case it's a task with an UI, etc.)

Back to a quiet home... At last
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Quote:
check your memory

I did run memtester one day and it took 9 and half hours before I cancelled it. And it didn't run even one full loop in that time ! I can't sleep in a same room with a computer making noise. And I don't have any other room to put it in at the moment. So I'm not going to try running memtester second time. But all tests it passed were all OK. No errors.

Rock lobster bit me - so I'm here forever
X1000 + AmigaOS 4.1 FE
"Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." - Seymour Cray
Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@interrogative

OK, If the system runs fine when booted from CD, that pretty much rules out your main hardware, although it doesn't rule out the HD and/or it's configuration.

Either that, or the installed system has "something" running that the CD version doesn't which is causing this problem. A default installed system is the same as the CD, so I can only suggest that you format your bootpartition and reinstall it to make sure everything has gone. The upgrade option was never recommended, and should have been removed, for precisely this reason.

Simon

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
My SAM freezes when i have an app that uses 100% cpu and another app wants some cpu.
Just tried several times to copy some music files over ftp.. had reboot after a few files :(

Any idea on how to solve this?

Go to top
Supreme Council
Supreme Council

See User information
@Yaroze

Not without, at least, a crashlog, and most likely some output from a debug kernal on the serial port.

Simon

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@Snuffy

it's normal that programs or processes are in wait state, unitl some action needs to be taken, the process will wakeup when the process is signaled.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Rigo et al.,

I booted from the install CD. Before running memtester, I decided to run Partition Wizard. My system partition had an error, trying to write two things to the same block. I reformatted the disk and installed OS4.1. I am now enjoying OS4.1, typing this from OWB 3.1.

Thanks for all the help,

The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Hi @LiveForIt

it's normal that programs or processes are in wait state,...
I didn't mean this in a literal way, but figuratively. JXFS is 64 bit, FFS and SFS are not. So all I'm saying that there are some issues between them yet to be resolved.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@interrogative

Quote:

interrogative wrote:
@Rigo et al.,

I booted from the install CD. . . I reformatted the disk and installed OS4.1. I am now enjoying OS4.1

Were you able to leave the partition as SFS/0 ? I hope so for speed's sake. I've been wanting to try JXFS here on some of my non-system partitions but haven't had time. But I can't imagine going back to FFS anymore.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul

I left the partition as SFS/0. With that being said, I have been advised on other amiga forums to go with FFS2 since it apparently is easier to fix if something goes wrong.

-The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@interrogative,

I've read that in some places, too.

I won't say it's bad advice, but I think there's a safe solution that avoids the slow down with FFS.

I threw a second hard drive in the system just for backing up each of my partitions. At one point last year, my main HD died mechanically. At that point, I just readjusted things to run everything from my back up drive, and put in the (new, free, smallish) Seacrate my son had given me, and created enough partitions to redo my backups. If it's just an invalidated partition on your main SFS boot partition, you can reboot from either your backup HD or your original CD, quick format your invalid partition, and "copy dh0: hd0: all clone" and you'll never know the difference.

Even with lots of cache allotted, the slow performance of FFS compared to SFS is just too much to take for me.

Paul

Builder of Frankenthousand The monster A1000
The Young Frankenthousand A1-XE G4
X5000
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Paul et al,

Although my amigaXE has been running since reformatting/reinstalling the system drive, I decided to run some additional tests (in case something else caused the HD problem). Memtester showed I had a problem with my memory. I did some additional checking on Intuitionbase to find that the two sticks of Kingston 256 MB registered RAM have problems when installed in both DIMM slots. I am now in the market for a single 512 MB registered SDRAM that is compatible with my A1XE.

Memoryx.net has SDRAM advertised as being made especially for the Teron PX Articia S chipset selling for around $59. Is this a good deal, being that I've seen other "compatible" memory going for $124?

-The Phantom "?"

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Chris

Quote:

Chris wrote:
Hmm, I see the old pattern-matching bug is still present. I will continue to mention this until it finally gets fixed.

5.RAM Disk:> dir files
ABAB ABBA
5.RAM Disk:> dir #(AB|BA)
5.RAM Disk:>

Just to let you know, i spent this weekend on this (and some other) issues to get finally (and successfully) rid of them ;)

AmigaOS 4 core developer

Go to top

Register To Post
« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »