Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
72 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...

Headlines

Is gprof ever works on os4 ?
Home away from home
From Russia
@All
Is "gprof" even works on os4 ? I know in very beginning it works on pegasos2 , micro and co, but tried now on peg2 and micro and it seems don't work anymore.

Maybe anyone aware when it stop working, after which update, and maybe there an report about already or something ?

Thanks.

Re: Is gprof ever works on os4 ?
Just popping in
From Älvsbyn, Sweden
@kas1e

isn't it related to the x5000/debug/gdb/gcc issue?
newer gprof might need a newer glibc (the whole posix signal/timer thing). If you are compiling from source and you are using gcc 9/10/11 I would suspect that gprof stopped working somewhere between gcc 4 and gcc 8.

Edited by trgswe on 2021/11/24 18:13:00
   Report Go to top

Home away from home
From Russia
@trgswe
Quote:

isn't it related to the x5000/debug/gdb/gcc issue?

Not sure, as far as I remember it works on pegasos2 and micros back in years, but now it definitely not on the same peg2 and micro (and that tested and by gcc 4,2, and by gcc8.x and by gcc 10.x).

If I remember right, someone some years ago complain about and even that there is some bug reported about, but i can't find it not on adtools (both old sourceforge link and new github one), and not in aos4 internal Bugzilla too

Home away from home
From a dying planet
@kas1e

Might it have been this one?
https://github.com/sba1/adtools/issues/72

It's not gprof related at all, but it seems that profiling is broken all the way (on compiler level) anyway on our platform.

And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
   Report Go to top

Just popping in
From Älvsbyn, Sweden
@Raziel

The amigaos 4.1 does lack the posix signals related to profiling (I should say does not implement them...) one would have to look how Linux has implemented them and do the same for amigaos 4.1 but someone at ?hyperion? would have to do that since it needs to be done officially (ssolie??) generally I would like to see Posix 2.x completely implemented somehow...

Edited by trgswe on 2021/11/25 6:44:45
   Report Go to top

Home away from home
From Russia
@Raziel
No, not this one. This one you point out is about a crash when performance monitor resource is not found (all new machines like x5000, sam460, etc). That crash was fixed on the newlib's side by Frederik some time ago. But only crashes were fixed, as it was just a null-pointer because performance monitor isn't implemented for newer machines.

The things i have problems with, is with whole thing which pretend to work before on older machines (such as pegasos2 , micros, etc, where perfomance monitor implemented).

On those older machines -pg created gmon.out file, all fine, but using gprof on it show nothing. So, want to know if gprof ever works on our side before on those old machines. As far as i know - it works before, just stopped work at some point. And there should be somewhere BZ about.

Just can't stay away
From Lothric
@kas1e

If I remember correctly, gprof worked in 2005 on BPPC :) I was trying to profile OpenMortal. I cannot remember GCC versions but game was uploaded to OS4Depot in October 2005.

Report Go to top

Not too shy to talk
kas1e summarized well the situation. gprof relies on many elements: compiler, libc (and with have 2 of them), performance monitor support, signals (?), gprof tool ... At the end, it seems that gprof worked a long time ago. We don't know when it stopped to work even on machines that are supposed to get it running well (I tested yesterday on my MicroAOne).

About the crash, Fredrik fixed it in newlib. The same should be done in clib2.

Let's collect more information but I think all that is not in a good shape.

But what we need, after all, is the profiling feature. For me, I can help on some points about gprof but I am clearly going to focus on improving my profiling tool, Hieronymus (yes, I know that in the past, I already said that and nothing was released).

Report Go to top

Not too shy to talk
Just to mention that I've just pushed a pull request in clib2 project to fix the crash. At least, that must be done whatever the status of gprof is.

Report Go to top

Amigans Defender
From Taranto, Italy
It worked in the 4.0 era.. after some point it didn't work anymore. I remember i've used a lot for Mplayer on AmigaOne. However IIRC also the CPU needs to be supported by gprof. And for example AMCC 460ex isn't

Home away from home
From Russia
@afxgroup
For example pegasos2 for sure supported, but didn't work for now.

I may try to install on pegasos2 the first version of OS4 which works on pegasos2 , to see if gprof works on, and if so, can find out step by step in which update it was broken, and then maybe there will be some luck to find out guilty component. But that of course hardcore a bit :)

Not too shy to talk
@kas1e I'am afraid that would be a lot of work for a small benefit.

If it is really considered as necessary, I think this is the kind of feature to work on in an updated set of development tools (compiler, clib, binutils, ...).

Report Go to top

[Advanced Search]