Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
200 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

(1) 2 »
YAM's flashing editor (RESOLVED)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
As a touch typist, I look at the computer screen when I'm typing; not the keyboard. Parts of the YAM editor window are constantly strobing (flashing) as I am typeing. The flashing seems to vary between the toolbar icons, the tabs and the text area. It seems like some constant (broken) window refresh. It's driving me crazy. When I let a friend (PC user) use YAM to send an email while he was visiting, he kept asking me what was wrong with my email program. He found the flashing really distracting too. Is there a setting to eliminate the editor flashing effect? My old OS3 YAM editor didn't flash like this.

Edited by xenic on 2012/8/26 16:06:56
Edited by xenic on 2012/8/28 16:30:35
Amiga X1000 with 2GB memory & OS 4.1FE + Radeon HD 5450

Go to top
Re: YAM's strobing editor
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
I noted the same behaviour. I am not sure if it is a yam, mui or upd 5 problem

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
It could also be texteditor.mcc.

I don't get the problem here.

Amiga user since 1985
AOS4, A-EON, IBrowse & Alinea Betatester

Ps. I hate the new amigans website. <shudder>
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Ricossa
Quote:
I noted the same behaviour. I am not sure if it is a yam, mui or upd 5 problem.

I hadn't thought about update5. I just looked at the update and it does contain a huge amount of changed MUI files. I'll have to try booting with an older boot partition to see if that affects the flashing.

EDIT: The problem appears to be in the MUI contained in Update5. I replaced my Update5 MUI directory with the Update4 MUI directory and the strobing is gone. I'll post a report at the Hyperion forums.

Edited by xenic on 2012/8/24 17:23:57

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Severin

Quote:

Nor I, then again, reading about "the latest" or "use the last" and not mentioning whether it's YAM public or nightly builds would make it impossible to say.

btw-latest is:
TextEditor.mcc 15.39 [OS4/PPC] (08/05/2012)
TextEditor.mcp 15.39 [OS4/PPC] (08/05/2012)

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6
Quote:
Nor I, then again, reading about "the latest" or "use the last" and not mentioning whether it's YAM public or nightly builds would make it impossible to say.

Good point. I'm using YAM 2.7 with all the latest updates of NList, Texteditor, TheBar and Betterstring. When I go to the YAM-Configuration/Updates window and check for updates, YAM reports that there are no updates available. I'm using all the latest MCC updates that YAM uses.

So far, 2 others have confirmed the problem; one here and one on the Hyperion forums. It only occurs with the Update5 MUI installed. If you open the YAM editor and start hitting random keys as fast as you can while watching the monitor screen, you should see various parts of the YAM editor GUI flashing and irregular intervals.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin
Quote:

I can only say that it happens to me with OS4.1 update5 installed and YAM 2.7 with all the latest MCC libraries. I can just open the YAM editor by replying to an incoming message and start rapidly typing random letters on the keyboard while looking at the YAM window on my monitor and various parts of the YAM editor GUI will flash intermitantly as though there is a slow window refresh going on..

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

Change of topic.

Can you send mail you have queued in public V2.7?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@number6
Quote:
Change of topic.
Can you send mail you have queued in public V2.7?

If by queued you mean the mail in the Outgoing folder then yes I can. If I click the "Send" button in the main window, all the messages in the Outgoing folder are sent. My only complaint is that if I go to the Outgoing folder an select a single message (one message is highlighted) and click on "Send" all the outgoing messages are sent. I've accidently sent some incomplete messages by doing that.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

I was thinking of this, but I see it has been resolved for quite some time.

Yam 2.7 Systematic error when trying to send a previously saved outgoing message

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Try backing up your yam drawer and updating to yam 2.8.

I'm using:

YAM 2.8-dev (18/08/2012)
Copyright (C) 2000-2012 YAM Open Source Team [OS4/PPC, r6246]

mui:libs/mui/TextEditor.mcc: TextEditor.mcc 15.39 [OS4/PPC]

AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 and a bit :)

Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin
Quote:
Try backing up your yam drawer and updating to yam 2.8.

I downloaded the latest YAM 2.8 and tested it. It does the same thing. Did you actually open the YAM email editor and try typeing random letters really fast or are you just remembering the last time you edited an outgoing email? Do you have MUI files installed that are not yet publicly available? There must be a reason why some of us have the YAM editor GUI flashing parts of the window as we type and some people don't.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
If by queued you mean the mail in the Outgoing folder then yes I can. If I click the "Send" button in the main window, all the messages in the Outgoing folder are sent. My only complaint is that if I go to the Outgoing folder an select a single message (one message is highlighted) and click on "Send" all the outgoing messages are sent. I've accidently sent some incomplete messages by doing that.

This has always been the case since, let me guess, YAM 1.x? The "Send" button will always send all queued mails, unless you put them on hold ("Hold" button in the write window). If you click on "Send later" although the mail is not yet finished for you, then YAM cannot know about this fact and will happily send it off as soon as you click the "Send" button. "Send later" means exactly this: don't send the mail immediately, but later instead, perhaps along with some other queued mails.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Quote:
I was thinking of this, but I see it has been resolved for quite some time.

Yam 2.7 Systematic error when trying to send a previously saved outgoing message

This was something completely different.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Yes I did the type test, entering about 10 full lines of rubbish and only got the occasional flicker from the counter on the right hand side of the toolbar.
I have never had this problem with any of the mui versions I've tested. If you want to check if it's MUI then rename your current mui drawer and install mui 3.9 and see if that cures it.

Yes I have mui files that aren't publicly available. it might just be a corrupted prefs file. Try quiting yam then going to envarc:mui and renaming the two yam files in there (yam.cfg & yam.prefs) and then either rebooting or deleting those files in env:mui and running yam again.

Edited by Severin on 2012/8/28 12:20:48
Amiga user since 1985

Go to top
Re: YAM's flashing editor
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

I have never had this problem with any of the mui versions I've tested. If you want to check if it's MUI then rename your current mui drawer and install mui 3.9 and see if that cures it.

He's allready using MUI 3.9, he's getting this problem on Update5 which has the latest version of MUI3.9, not any later version of MUI

@Xenic

I can't reproduce the issue here either, testing on my Update5 install, with sufficiently new versions of the 3rd aprty class to run YAM , but not the most recent. (just coppied over from my working install for speed)

What are the versions of the 3rd party mui classes you have installed?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues
Quote:
What are the versions of the 3rd party mui classes you have installed?

I'm using all the latest versions of the 3rd party mui classes that YAM uses. I will check all the version numbers and list them in another post because it will take some time. I have noticed something unusual about the OS4 MUI distributions (including the one in Update5). Some of the files are still 68k:
Crawling.mcc v16.8 - 68k
Lamp.mcp v11.1 - 68k
Listtree.mcp - v17.13 - 68k

As soon as I can check the 3rd part versions that YAM uses, I will post them.

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@broadblues

Here are the versions for my 3rd party MCC libs that YAM use:
TheButton.mcc: TheButton.mcc 26.10 [OS4/PPC]
TheBarVirt.mcc: TheBarVirt.mcc 26.10 [OS4/PPC]
TheBar.mcp: TheBar.mcp 26.10 [OS4/PPC]
TheBar.mcc: TheBar.mcc 26.10 [OS4/PPC]
TextEditor.mcp: TextEditor.mcp 15.39 [OS4/PPC]
TextEditor.mcc: TextEditor.mcc 15.39 [OS4/PPC]
NListviews.mcp: NListviews.mcp 19.83 [OS4/PPC]
NListview.mcc: NListview.mcc 19.87 [OS4/PPC]
NListtree.mcp: NListtree.mcp 18.27 [OS4/PPC]
NListtree.mcc: NListtree.mcc 18.39 [OS4/PPC]
NList.mcc: NList.mcc 20.132 [OS4/PPC]
NFloattext.mcc: NFloattext.mcc 19.68 [OS4/PPC]
NBitmap.mcc: NBitmap.mcc 15.17 [OS4/PPC]
NBalance.mcc: NBalance.mcc 15.13 [OS4/PPC]
HotkeyString.mcc: HotkeyString.mcc 12.19 [OS4/PPC]
BetterString.mcp: BetterString.mcp 11.23 [OS4/PPC]
BetterString.mcc: BetterString.mcc 11.23 [OS4/PPC]

Here are the 3rd party MCC libs that other programs use:
Toolbar.mcp: Toolbar.mcp 15.12 [OS4/PPC]
Toolbar.mcc: Toolbar.mcc 15.12 [OS4/PPC]
TextHistory.mcc: TextHistory.mcc 11.7
StringHistory.mcc: StringHistory.mcc 11.4
Popplaceholder.mcc: Popplaceholder 15.5
Newstring.mcp: Newstring.mcp 16.10
Newstring.mcc: Newstring.mcc 16.18
Mailtext.mcp: Mailtext.mcp 19.9
Mailtext.mcc: Mailtext.mcc 19.9
Busy.mcp: Busy.mcp 17.22
Busy.mcc: Busy.mcc 17.37

All the above MCC libs are in my Update5 MUI/Libs/mui/ directory and in my previous MUI/Libs/mui/ directory. When the Update5 MUI directory used I get the flashing in the YAM email editor. When I switch to the previous MUI directory there is no flashing.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@xenic

No flashing here either.
However, I can get some pretty dreadful graphical corruption in YAM;
In MUI-TextEditor, set Design/Background to a horizontal gradient, and then adjust the edit window size! Similar with other gradients or images.
Perhaps this is linked to problems with TextEditor 15.39?

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Severin
Quote:
Yes I did the type test, entering about 10 full lines of rubbish and only got the occasional flicker from the counter on the right hand side of the toolbar.

Maybe your hardware is different than mine and the flicker is not as obvious.
However, when I switch back the my previous MUI drawer, the counter doesn't flicker at all. I think you have the same problem as me but it is not as severe. If you have a backup of your previous MUI directory, try renaming your new MUI directory and copy your previous MUI directory to your SYS: partition. If you do that, I'm betting that you won't see the YAM counter flicker at all.

Go to top

Register To Post
(1) 2 »