Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 152

beworld, orgin, TheMagicSN, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Bl***y Amiga OS4. :-)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@all

Well would you believe it , that OS4 again.
I managed to screw up one of my partitions, Status validating, nothing I could do to get it to change.

Unfortunatley, it was my work2 partition, which I use for my main applications. Amidock links are all here and it screwed up my workbench boot. I tried partition wizard, both the check and repair said the partition was ok, and yet it 's status was still validating.
I have a Work2_backup partition, and I used Backup to see if the validating partition could be backed up, and the program worked, or at least it appeared to work correctly.
I then tried a quick format, but I just got an error message. I tried a full format but it stopped and hung at 99%.

I then booted from the OS4 Install CD, and this time partition wizard (from the CD) gave me an error message about a block being written, or allocated twice. Anyway I then formatted the partition using quick format, and before I went to work this morning, I started restoring from the backup partition using workbench drag and drop the files. When I came home only half the files had been copied, I hadn't selected view all files. doh!!

Anyway while at work, I thought what the heck am I doing, all this tinkering etc, why not just re-name my backup partition to work2, and re-boot. The only possible problem that had occured to me was in the drive configs in DOpus, where the used the DH* numbering and not the partition name.

Hence when I found only half the files copied that what I did. I renamed work2 to work2_diff, then renamed work2_backup to work2, removed the install CD from the drive and re-booted. Voila up came Workbench sweet as a nut. All that work and hair pulling for nothing. I'd like to see windows , or linux do that. How fantastic is OS4.

All I am doing now is backing up my new work2, before I change anything.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Re: Bl***y Amiga OS4. :-)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:
I managed to screw up one of my partitions, Status validating, nothing I could do to get it to change.

Quick suggestion to forget about validation issues altogether: use SFS

saimo

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@Swoop

Quote:

Quick suggestion to forget about validation issues altogether: use SFS

saimo

I concur.

Hans

Go to top
Amigans Defender
Amigans Defender

See User information
@Hans

Me three!

Mikey C

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
So do I

--
AmigaONE X1000 and Radeon RX 560
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@Swoop

What filesystem is in OS4 by default? Is there a choice during installation?

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mailman

Default AmigaOS 4.0 Kickstart have FastFileSystem (FFS, FFS2 and OFS) and SmartFileSystem modules. Your choice in MediaToolBox.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@saimo

The thing is I had been sticking with FFS, just in case my A1 blew up and I had to transfer the hard drive over to my A1200.
Having said that, I have a second hard drive and a DVD-rewriter to install. So I could keep that backup drive as FFS, and update my main harddrive to SFS.
The DVD-rewriter is for bckup also, I have kept all my partitions below 5GB, so I can back up each oneto its own DVD.

Peter Swallow

Eyetech A1XE-G3 800Mhz OS4.1
Towered A1200 OS3.9
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@Swoop

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@saimo

The thing is I had been sticking with FFS, just in case my A1 blew up and I had to transfer the hard drive over to my A1200.

SFS also comes as M68k binaries that can be installed in the RDB*, thus - I guess - access to SFS partitions should be possible also on AOS 3.x (f.ex., see this post by Rogue). Since it is such a delicate issue, it would be nice if anybody could give a confirmation.

*Indeed, as Joerg explained, those are the only binaries allowed in the RDB.

saimo

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@saimo

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@Swoop

Quote:

Swoop wrote:
@saimo

SFS also comes as M68k binaries that can be installed in the RDB*, thus - I guess - access to SFS partitions should be possible also on AOS 3.x (f.ex., see this post by Rogue). Since it is such a delicate issue, it would be nice if anybody could give a confirmation.
Actually that's the only(1) way to access data from an A1 HD on a classic Amiga. The only requirement is that the classic Amiga has at least AmigaOS 3.0 and a 68020+ CPU since that's the minimum requirement for the AmigaOS 3.x/m68k versions of SFS. With the m68k SFS in the RDB of the HD, which you can still install after moving the HD to the classic Amiga, you can access all SFS partitions on the A1200.
You can not access FFS2 partitions using the LongName format on an A1200, the AmigaOS 3.x FFS can't read them. And since AmigaOS4 doesn't work on partitions with only 30 char file names at least your Boot/Workbench partition can't be read on the A1200. To be able to read FFS2 LongName partitions on an A1200 you'd need an AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version of FFS2, which will be included in the classic Amiga release of AmigaOS4, but AFAIK wasn't included in the AmigaOne releases of AmigaOS4.

1) Another option may be using for example PFS, but in any case it has to be a file system for which you have an AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@joerg

Thanks a lot for the clarification

saimo

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:
1) Another option may be using for example PFS, but in any case it has to be a file system for which you have an AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version.

So we can use PFS on the A1/0S4?

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@TMTisFree

Well it probably runs emulated under OS4.

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@TMTisFree

Quote:
So we can use PFS on the A1/0S4?
No idea if it works on OS4, I don't have PFS. Make sure to use the "direct scsi" version of it, AFAIK the normal one doesn't support NSD and can only access the first 4 GB of the HD.

All m68k file systems should work on OS4, unless they require an obsolete BCPL startup method, but for file systems which can be installed in a RDB that's not the case.
For example you could comment out SmartFileSystem in your kicklayout and install the AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version of SFS in the RDB of your HD and use that one instead. Doesn't make any sense and it's much slower (not much because of the emulated m68k code, but the AmigaOS 3.x/m68k version of SFS doesn't support diskcache.library and some other things which make the AmigaOS4 version of SFS much faster), but it works.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Quote:

All m68k file systems should work on OS4, unless they
require an obsolete BCPL startup method, but for file
systems which can be installed in a RDB that's not the case.

I can confirm that AmiCDFS V2.38 in the RDB is still able
to read my old ShapeShifter partition, I can even boot
OS4 into it (without S-S of course). And XFSD can still
read three logical PC partitions with the proper mountlists
here. However, FAT95 always crashed under OS4 when I tried
to use it. Oh, and CacheCDFS still works too, I use it for
mounting .iso files.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@joerg

Interesting. I tried to install PFS with Update1 or 2 but that did not work. Will retry with the scsi direct version one day or another. Thanks for the info.

Edit: english grammar

Bye,
TMTisFree

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." (Napol?on Bonaparte)
"I would love to change the world, but they won?t give me the source code." (Unknown)
Go to top

Register To Post