Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
214 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

HDD crash recovery better than expected!
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Hello all, something happened this weekend that I'm really happy about. (Now) My 2.1 GB HDD de-validated on friday, in such a horrific manner the OS couldn't re-validate it, and disk-salv crashed with every attempt.
I recovered the partition enough to read from it, and installed a 5gb IDE drive to copy it to. After this, I remembered I had SFS archived in my download directory, and I installed it. A bit of tweaking with HDtoolbox, a reboot, and a format later, I copied all the data back to the partition. I reset again after this, and I noticed my computer runs about 3x faster than before. I didn't know FFS could drag down a system quite like that before. I was also wondering, is it possible to set my boot partition to SFS as well?

Resized Image
Go to top
Re: HDD crash recovery better than expected!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@kvasir

I have my workbench partition set to FFS for some reason that I cant remember.. but all my other partitions are SFS. and you're right, SFS is so much faster, its awesome. I really noticed it in SimpleMail. I wonder if someone can answer your question.. I'm curious now too. :)

Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@kvasir

Quote:
is it possible to set my boot partition to SFS as well?

Of course it is!

Having my boot partition as SFS since upd3 and never had any
serious problems with it (lack of a repair-in-place tool sucks
sometimes, but as you won't experience such problems very often
it's not that much of a problem.

People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
I've been using SFS for many years now, from my Amiga 1200 to my AmigaOne. I also used it with Amithlon.

I could not get back to FFS now (slow, waiting for validation, etc...).

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@kvasir

For some reason I have my Movies partition setup as FFS. On the occasion that my AmigaOne crashes and I'm writing to the drive, it takes an age to fix (40 Gig).

Must... Update... To... SFS!

I have it on a couple of partitions, but not this big one??

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
There was a thread on AW.net on the proper configuration of FFS, it seems that after the normal installation it is set in a very sub-optimal way.
It was proven that changing the parameters in the right way could greately increase the performance.

Anyway SFS remains superior!

Go to top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@Richi

Quote:
There was a thread on AW.net on the proper configuration of FFS, it seems that after the normal installation it is set in a very sub-optimal way.
It was proven that changing the parameters in the right way could greately increase the performance.
Was the "fs_set_flush_strategy" tool included in any of the AmigaOS4 releases? AFAIK it wasn't, and that's what you need to change the settings (put "fs_set_flush_strategy >NIL: dhx: 1" for each FFS2 partition into S:User-Startup). For example copying large files to a FFS2 partition is about 10 times faster with the flush strategy set to "relaxed".

If it wasn't included I could write and release a replacement, but using SFS is still faster anyway

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Ah, cool. Don't think I'll be using FFS much anymore either. Waiting for my 2 gb drive to validate is too much of a pain, and if I can SFS my boot partition, that sounds like a project for next weekend! Thanks alot!

Resized Image
Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
Couldn't wait until the weekend. Switched my boot partition over, now the whole system runs a lot faster! Must be speed increase with fonts/librarys/devices/etc... Though I had to uninstall HDENV from the startup-sequence. didn't like it a whole lot, anyway. (I have 192mb FAST, I can just keep my Env: stuff int he ram disk)

Edited by kvasir on 2007/7/18 10:09:04
Resized Image
Go to top

Register To Post