Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 113

orgin, jarokuczi, blmara, joerg, K-L, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

Advice for X1000 Video Card
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
My X1000 came with the Radeon 4XXX series card. After a while, I upgraded to a 7950 (SI). That card was massive in size and fairly loud, but it worked for a while. I also bought the SI software from the AmiStore: I cannot even remember what that was for now. I think it was about 30£ and it enabled SI to use W3DNova..?

Anyway, the 7950 died one day. I put back a Radeon 5XXX card (which came with my X5000 that I upgraded to a 560RX because the 550RX was DoA. Actually, that 560RX has been solid and there are no problems there).

Then, I bought a 280 for my X1000 and that worked for a short while but found artifacts on the screen after a short time! I also tested it in a PC and the same artifacts were there.

So, all the cards I have bought so far have been from eBay. I got lucky with the important one: the 560 in the X5000.

I am wondering to risk Yet Another SI card from eBay or get an RX card, preferably avoiding eBay!

1. Is there a safe source of these cards?
2. Is it as simple as plugging in the RX card into the X1000? (Other than installing drivers)

Thanks.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Re: Advice for X1000 Video Card
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
RX cards need an updated CFE. This does not exist and there is ZERO news or support to get one done.

There is a way to get RX cards working, not a ideal solution, but it works - details here https://os4welt.de/viewtopic.php?t=2639

AmigaOne X1000.
Radeon RX550

http://www.tinylife.org.uk/
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@rjd324

I don't know where you're based but Ebuyer in the UK still have stock of R7 240 cards with GDDR5.
There may be other retailers with SI cards out there.

RX550 doesn't seem to hard to get hold. Higher end cards are out there but you pay a premium if it from well known brand, there cheaper cards from Chinese brands you've never heard of.

Do you still have the 4000 series card? You might probably need a working display to set the system up before swapping over to the RX. Since you already have an RX560 it might be worth testing with that before adding another card to yout collection.

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
Yeah, UK.

These r9, 7900 cards are so large and bulky. The RX series is nice, quiet and light.

Not sure if there is a lightweight SI card to get.

I'll have a search. Thanks for the hint wrt. Ebuyer.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
The graphics card in my X1000 also died a few weeks ago. I didn't want to buy Polaris because I depended on a soft reset, which is crucial with a computer that takes as long to boot as the X1000. So I bought an R7 240, probably the last model of the SI family that can be bought new on the European market (or at least in Poland you can still buy the last pieces). The old R9 270 card was indeed very large, had two huge fans and took up 2 slots. However, the R7 240 is sleek and tiny, occupies one slot on the case, and has one small fan. I think it's better to buy a new card from a reliable store than a used one at an auction, which has probably already been repaired and will not work for a long time.

Go to top
Just popping in
Just popping in

See User information
@mufa

Does the R7 240 warm boot? I have the seemingly fairly similar R7 250 in my X1000, and it definitely does not warm boot (using the HD v.3.7 driver).

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@msteed
I have also heard that not only the Polaris cards, but also some of the latest models in the R7 family do not soft reset. However, my Radeon Power Color R7 240 fortunately does not have this problem. Specifically, I bought this model:

PowerColor R7 240

Go to top

Register To Post