Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

Sections

Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 148

geennaam, jarokuczi, skynet, more...

Headlines

Register To Post  

X5000 Case Fans
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
I just got my X5000 board yesterday (yay!) and after some false starts getting the OS on, I seem to be getting there. But my case fans stay at 100% all the time. Is this to be expected? And is there some monitoring tool that I can use to check case temps.

I've read a thread about GPU fans, but frankly I couldn't tell you want my GPU is doing because I can't hear anything else above the noise of the two case fans.

I mean, if this is normal then it's not a big deal. I was going to stick a 2.5" hot swap bay for the drive in there but I'll stick a fan controller in instead. It's just yet another thing I need to buy unfortunately.

Amiga x5040 ı 16GB ı RX580
GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Re: X5000 Case Fans
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
@MartinW
Quote:
And is there some monitoring tool that I can use to check case temps.
http://os4depot.net/?function=showfil ... ility/docky/x5000temp.lha

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thank you - that allowed me to see that the case fans aren't really doing a whole lot. I've disconnected the front fan completely and stuck a low noise adapter from Noctua on the back exhaust fan (I'm guessing it's a resistor!) and things are quieter and it doesn't look like it's changed the temps one bit.

Everywhere online says the CPU fan is really quiet. I guess that's true but at >3000 rpm it's kind of whiny and irritating. Maybe I'll look into it one day.

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MartinW

congratulation

(NutsAboutAmiga)

Basilisk II for AmigaOS4
AmigaInputAnywhere
Excalibur
and other tools and apps.
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Thank you - it took a little while to get here, I think down to holidays, and the wait was painful, but so far so good!

I have so many questions I don't know where to start. Actually I don't have that many, but I'm afraid to bombard everyone

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@MartinW

Congrats on your X5000

I'm not sure if it's the same size CPU that's in my X1000 but here's what I used to solve the original loud fan problem on my X1000

https://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.com ... eter-cooler-been.html?m=1

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts
please, do you have tip, where to obtain MagmaBreath cooler today?

Or what is manufacture name and exact type of aluminium cooler?

I want it for my X1000, but Marcus Computer is several years offline.

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@ sailor

Last I recall Marcus sold off his remaining stock to an Amiga dealer in Germany. You can try following the AW link at the bottom of my blog post to try to contact him.

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@328gts
Thanks, I will try it, but last posts are from 2016.

And your blog is very nice!

AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOne X1000
MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook, Mac Mini, iMac, Powermac Quad
Go to top
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
@sailor

thanks & did a quick search and this is the last time Marcus commented on the custom CPU fans here in 2020 https://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/ ... &order=ASC&status=&mode=0

mancave-ramblings

Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MartinW

Gpu fans are controlled by the gfx card firmware. There's no Amiga software to control the fan speed manually.

Like others, I've replaced the cpu FAN with a Nortua Fan.

My X5000 is mounted in a cooler master sl600m. It comes with a fan controller. The two bottom 200mm fans are replaced with 2x 200mm Noctua fans.

Primary reason for the Cooler master sl600m is that it allows for mounting the RX580 gfx card vertically. This enables the x4 slot. The two bottom fans help to cool the vertical mounted gfx card as well. This is probably why they spin at a low speed.
Overall the solution is very very quiet. At the lowest fan setting, the main board temperature remains below 60degC.

Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
@geennaam

With the 580 mounted vertically, how do you use the other PCI slots? Do you just need to buy a riser cable that is long enough that it goes over the top of them?

So, the thing that originally made this case a no-go when I first saw it was the lack of reset switch. This is becoming uncommon in cases these days but is essential for the X5000, especially when developing / testing software. Not exactly difficult to make one that sits somewhere on the desk however but it would be better to have one built in.

I tried replacing the gelid solutions fan with a Noctua one last night. I was initially stuck as the Noctua fan does not suit the thin and long screws that the gelid fan uses. I eventually made something up only to discover that the Noctua fan made more noise than the gelid one. It was mechanical noise caused where the fan came into contact with the heatsink.

I'm interested to know how anyone else is mounting alternative fans but for the moment that fan is being returned as faulty, it should not have made more noise than the stock Gelid fan.

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
@MartinW

I use a 300mm cooler master riser cable (MCA-U000C-KPCI30-300) to connect the Gpu with the X5000. And that works just fine with the other PCIe cards in any slot.

Now that you mention it. It indeed doesn't have a reset switch.
Normally I use alt+alt+ctrl to force a hardware reset. In case this reset isn't available, I press the power button to switch it off. In case of a complete crash, I press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to force it off.

Edited by geennaam on 2023/8/30 21:03:07
Edited by geennaam on 2023/8/30 21:03:48
Go to top
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

See User information
Anyone got any idea what a normal CPU temperature might be to aim for? I'm assuming since it's what my stock cooler says, that idling at 63C rising to 68C on an extended gaming is perfectly fine.

The datasheet for the P5040 chip says 0C - 105C, but I'm guessing it's better not to get too hot for too long.

GB-A1000 060@100,
A1200 PiStorm32-Lite CM4
Go to top

Register To Post